The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Billboard Top 20 Country
Dave Little

Atlanta
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2016 6:28 am    

Go to this link
http://www.billboard.com/charts/country-songs
Tell me if you can tell 1 song from the next.
Must be the same synth guy doing all of the music on his computer - on all of them ('cept the Zac Brown - I don't even care for Zac Brown - but it is a relief comapared to all that other 'what ever you wanna call it'.)
Added:
(Obviously, this is only my opinion. Those with less taste may disagree.)

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2016 7:40 am    

Just did a lovely drive this morning with my wife up through the Catskills and past the Berkshires. We listened to amazing music the entire way on Satelite radio.

We have more options than ever and can now take control of what we listen to. This really is the best time ever for music. If you are frustrated with the charts or what's on the radio take control of the situation my friend.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2016 7:50 am    

Quote:
Tell me if you can tell 1 song from the next.

No!
It's overproducced and polished. (as in you can't polish a ....)

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2016 8:52 am    

It's the extreme compression that makes them all sound the same.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2016 8:54 am    

This is the first time in a long time, maybe ever, I can say I've never heard any of these top 25 "country" songs and never heard of at least a half dozen of the performers.

I guess I've just got too old and dis-interested in this stuff to keep up like I used to.

I actually thought the Morgan song #21 was pretty good by comparison.

I think it's great that many of you have alternative means for music by satellite, Sirius or whatever, but there are still a lot of us who don't have access and can't afford the luxury, so we're stuck with the networks.

In my case, I almost never listen to broadcast radio anymore anyway. It's 20 mins. of music, if you're lucky and 10 minutes of annoying commercials. It would be nice if I had the means to subscribe to other services, but I don't.

So it's mainly just NPR, PBS and my own personal music collection for me.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2016 9:01 am    

Quote:
We have more options than ever and can now take control of what we listen to.

Maybe, but to realize that the good stuff is no more in the mainstream is kind of sad.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2016 9:02 am    

....exactly, Joachim.,...and/or on more accessible public radio stations.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2016 9:41 am    

I loved to listen to Wolfman Jack, Jerry. AFN was pretty good. They had a program called "Underground" in the late sixties. It was at night and it was of course contemporary back then. The good old times.

Dave Little

Atlanta
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2016 9:43 am    

Right you are Mark. Actually I haven't listened to radio in a pretty long time. Just thought I'd look see if maybe there might be something we could use to kinda "update" our shows - you know something for the under the hill crowd - NOT.

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2016 7:17 pm    

Joachim Kettner wrote:
Quote:
We have more options than ever and can now take control of what we listen to.

Maybe, but to realize that the good stuff is no more in the mainstream is kind of sad.

True, but back in the day when the mainstream was full of the good stuff we were at the mercy of the radio. Later came the tape deck in cars where we started taking control on our commutes by making our own mix tapes.

The other week our house guest was playing music off of his iPhone from his cloud storage where he had his entire collection stored. He has amazing tastes in music and was able to pull up the song and tell us about the artists. Just one of the many advantages us music lovers have with technology now.

I was reading a WSJ article by Jim Fusilli on modern music, and I'm going off memory but the point of the articles was about the failure of the music industry to market music to mature audiences. The product is out there, the issue is the audience and the music aren't finding each other. The crap that is topping the country music charts just isn't going to appeal to us. I'm really just finding my favorite stuff these days on NPR, from friends, and just from blogs and links. Its a lot different than from when I grew up in the 70's and 80's but I'm just as satisfied as I ever was with the music coming out these days but I'm not going to find it on the radio.

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2016 3:48 am    

Compare that list for a random selection list from July 1966:

http://www.billboard.com/charts/country-songs/1966-07-16

When "country music" WAS "country"!!

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2016 4:05 am    

Mark Hershey wrote:
Quote:
The product is out there, the issue is the audience and the music aren't finding each other.

I think if you want to know about interesting new CD's or reissues you need to buy music magazines like Uncut, Shindig or Record Collector (the last one is the best IMO). Still I'm not sure if they are available in the US.
I'm always amazed at the large amount of reviews. Not so much information about Country records except a few, but they mention steel quite often in other genres too.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2016 6:04 am    

Yep, everything is super compressed, formulaic, and rather "busy-sounding". To me, the music seems geared for listeners without too much sophistication and taste. You might say today's country music has become the modern version of "bubble-gum" music, in that not a lot of thought or musical diversity goes into making it, and everyone is afraid of doing anything outside of the box. There's no individuality, no identity, just an incredible sameness to it all. Oh Well

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2016 8:14 am    

Joachim Kettner wrote:
Mark Hershey wrote:
Quote:
The product is out there, the issue is the audience and the music aren't finding each other.

I think if you want to know about interesting new CD's or reissues you need to buy music magazines like Uncut, Shindig or Record Collector (the last one is the best IMO). Still I'm not sure if they are available in the US.
I'm always amazed at the large amount of reviews. Not so much information about Country records except a few, but they mention steel quite often in other genres too.

I'm getting a link to post in this thread from my friend, he's always sending me videos and playlists for new and old obscure stuff. Will update later.

Some one sent me this guy's link this morning. Country related and for fun (no pedal steel on recording), this guy sound familiar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX1znPfzhVI

Looks like he passed away in 2011 so RIP.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 29 Aug 2016 8:36 am    

Quote:
I was reading a WSJ article by Jim Fusilli on modern music, and I'm going off memory but the point of the articles was about the failure of the music industry to market music to mature audiences. The product is out there, the issue is the audience and the music aren't finding each other. The crap that is topping the country music charts just isn't going to appeal to us.

Here's the article.
http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6889470/jim-fusilli-catching-up-adult-music-market

Quote:
There's no individuality, no identity, just an incredible sameness to it all
Sounds like corporate America to me.

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2016 10:52 am    

Barry Blackwood wrote:
Quote:
I was reading a WSJ article by Jim Fusilli on modern music, and I'm going off memory but the point of the articles was about the failure of the music industry to market music to mature audiences. The product is out there, the issue is the audience and the music aren't finding each other. The crap that is topping the country music charts just isn't going to appeal to us.

Here's the article.
http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6889470/jim-fusilli-catching-up-adult-music-market

Quote:
There's no individuality, no identity, just an incredible sameness to it all
Sounds like corporate America to me.

I think I read an article in the WSJ but that interview hits all the points.

He mentions NPR in that interview, and I couldn't agree more. It's a fantastic source for new music. Just went there and saw under the 'Folk' tab they have a review Aaron Lee Tasjan from Nashville. Will check that out.

The Tiny Desks concerts are also fantastic on their youtube channel...I just watched last week the Wilco performance from February, there's some pretty good Dobro playing in it.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2016 11:26 am    

Graham wrote:
Compare that list for a random selection list from July 1966:

http://www.billboard.com/charts/country-songs/1966-07-16

When "country music" WAS "country"!!

Especially number 8:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG5vo6Al9nM

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2016 12:03 pm    

Alright here's some resources for people like us that hate the country music that is topping the charts:

https://www.facebook.com/SavingCountryMusic/

Great facebook page, I scrolled through it and saw about 4-5 artists I haven't heard before.

We Hate Pop Country - a blend of new and old stuff.

http://wehatepopcountry.com/

No Depression:

http://nodepression.com/

A blend of some new stuff along with the new crap:

http://www.rollingstone.com/country

NPR Music page and Tiny Desks concerts.

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2016 2:55 am    

Duuuhhh... Wutz Cuntry?

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2016 7:15 am    

Mark Hershey wrote:

Some one sent me this guy's link this morning. Country related and for fun (no pedal steel on recording), this guy sound familiar?

Yeah, well it sounds a little familiar, but somehow I can't get past the visuals. I guess the orange haired, over-inked, biker/punk rocker persona is a little too much for my "conservative old man" senses. Oh Well

Joe Ribaudo

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2016 1:52 pm    

This made the rounds last year, but maybe some of you missed it. Fortunately, I'm not familiar with most of these songs so can't attest to the validity. (But hell, it's on the internet - therefore it must be true.) Mashup of recent country hits...
https://youtu.be/FY8SwIvxj8o

Ken Boi

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2016 5:44 am    

I might suggest trying an Internet music streaming service like Pandora. Create some channels of your liking based on an artist you like. I am impressed many times with what they play. I have created (for one example) a channel 'Asleep At The Wheel'. Through this channel playlist I have discovered Dale Watson, David Ball, The Derailers, and many more. This might not be for car travel (although it can be with today's technology), but a great alternative to radio. At least Pandora's 'intelligence' system knows what you like and attempts to cater to that.

Last edited by Ken Boi on 1 Sep 2016 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2016 6:00 am    

This perfect background music for supermarkets, shopping malls etc. Goes into your right ear and leaves from your left w/o leaving anything of value between those two points. Sad to know that there are folks who think this is the real deal...

Kind Regards, Walter

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2016 7:44 am    

Ken, yes Pandora is pretty good. I use Jango Radio free internet radio in a similar fashion, Sort of a shuffle of songs from particular channels of all styles. I've been introduced to a lot of new artists that way. That's about all I listen to, but I don't have the technology to take it in the car.

But for that, PBS and NPR, I'd be lost for music other than my own collection.

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2016 11:21 am    

Ken Boi wrote:
I might suggest trying an Internet music streaming service like Pandora. Create some channels of your liking based on an artist you like. I am impressed many times with what they play. I have created (for one example) a channel 'Asleep At The Wheel'. Through this channel playlist I have discovered Dale Watson, David Ball, The Derailers, and many more. This might not be for car travel (although it can be with today's technology), but a great alternative to radio. At least Pandora's 'intelligence' system knows what you like and attempts to cater to that.

Makes me happy to see upon my return from my vacation to login and see two users post that they are discovering great new music with the internet. Not a country artist but on my drive up to Yosemite I was listening to some Ray LaMontange with Eric Heywood on the pedal steel. His playing was so beautiful and just floored me.