The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Cordless Screwdriver for Tuning Machines
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2016 3:13 pm    

A while back someone posted VERY positive reviews regarding a cordless screwdriver for tuning machine heads (tuning keys). I can't seem to find the post,,,or what kind it was?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2016 3:28 pm    

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=299477&highlight=flipout

Well, if it was this one, my apologies. It seemed like such a great little tool for a few months before all the issues. Now, sometimes it works fine, sometimes not at all, other times, runs but no control. I couldn't recommend it unless they have worked out all the bugs.

I think B&D makes one with a winder adapter that a lot of pickers like. Check the online music stores.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2016 4:53 pm    

One time I mentioned to my wife that I needed a new cordless screwdriver.

Her reply was, "Aren't all screwdrivers cordless?"

Razz

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2016 2:26 am    

For $20 you can buy a battery powered Ernie Ball winder. If you buy a cordless screwdriver you must also buy the winding adapter. I've had one for years.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EBPowerPeg

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2016 4:54 am    

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/power-string-winder-ducks-deluxe-colors-may-vary
antique electronic sells this adapter. I have one. It works fine and seems pretty durable even though it's all plastic. I also have one by Planet Waves with a steel shaft, but I like the Duck better.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2016 6:20 am    

Lots of these electric screw drivers on the market. My current favorite is the Ryobi with two RPM settings 200 & 600. I string a lot of guitars as well as lap and pedal steels so I prefer the 600 RPM. I also like the profile of this unit. Available at Home Depot, etc.

I love the Milwaukee stick with bendable joint but batteries only last a year or so. The gizmo you put on the end to unwind the string is too large as it will not center and the knock the key nearest to it but you can cut a bit off each side and then super glue pieces of plastic on each side. I am picky about stuff like this. Nothing wrong with a hand string winder also...👍

Jimmie Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2016 6:25 pm     Re: Cordless Screwdriver for Tuning Machines

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
A while back someone posted VERY positive reviews regarding a cordless screwdriver for tuning machine heads (tuning keys). I can't seem to find the post,,,or what kind it was?

I use a cordless drill with an adapter. Works great and Battery last several days in the shop. I string around 5 guitars per day when I am in the shop.