The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Weekend Warrior Poll
Bob Grado

Holmdel, New Jersey
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2016 7:24 am    

As a part time player have you earned enough gigging over the years to cover the expense of all the gear you have?

Can't seem to get the "Poll" function to work.

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2016 8:35 am    

Yes, but it took a lot of years.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2016 8:47 am    

Speaking for myself the response is a resounding NO!; In my situation, playing out appeared to be more of a means to justify an expensive equipment purchase than earning sufficient funds to pay for it(you know, that one special piece of gear that would ultimately help achieve the elusive magical tone you have been seeking). I find presently, now that I have all but retired from the weekend warrior scene the situation has reversed itself and no longer having that excuse to fall back on, curbing my G.A.S. has become quite a bit simpler.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2016 9:56 am    

Most months I come out ahead but that's only because I've owned my saxophones for a very long time, I repair my own harmonicas and I play lap steel with no gizmos instead of pedal with a rack 'o gear. I have inadvertently become a lap steel collector though. Razz

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2016 10:15 am    

You have to look at it as a hobby and they aren't sposed to make any money. Rolling Eyes

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2016 10:19 am    

Yes, many times over and was even able to make a decent supplemental income. It was mainly done on good used modest equipment and playing close to home, not aspiring to greatness but simply entertaining the common folk at VFW's and such. That was back when you could get a crowd to come out.

I'll be playing my first gig in ten years this weekend along with some old friends. Probably my last gig, too.

Frank James Pracher

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2016 10:44 am    

Yep.. plus I split the gig money with the Mrs.

The first year It was pretty much a wash, because I needed to get a bigger amp, and a decent guitar for gigging. Since then it's been a nice source of extra income..

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2016 6:37 pm    

I made enough to put a decent downpayment on a house and then, keep the household going comfortably. It was a very good second income back then. Nowadays, it keeps the wife and I in lunches and good dinners. A big change in 40 years.
Actually, buying gear was akin to buying tools for the job. Whatever I needed, I got it to do the job. But, I enjoyed my nightime gigs more than I did my day job.

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2016 10:09 pm     Makin' Money.

I've earned enough pickin', to pay for every piece of equipment, I've ever owned. And that's just being a weekend warrior. Now that I'm retired, it keeps me in spending money, strings, and stuff from the little guitar shop where I hang out a lot.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2016 12:32 am    

well it depends, if we are talking about the gear that I use on a regular basis, weekly, then yes. Like 1 Steel, 1 Guitar and an amp. Add an acoustic and a Dobro to the mix and it's still a win win. Typically I do not change my gigging instruments which I refer to as my bread and butter gear.

If we are including each of the instruments I own for various reasons, then no, but a majority of my instruments were not purchased for gig duty.

As a weekend warrior I guess I can say I have been very fortunate, I average 3 to 4 gigs a month and have for a very long time. Lately it has been 5 or 6 and I really need to cut that back to 3 to 4.

Regarding the gig pay, it just goes into the counter basket along with keys and such , the "Fam" calls it "winnings".

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2016 3:21 am     Makin' Money.

not at all Crying or Very sad 30 years of playing out part time

p.w

George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2016 4:34 am     yup

Did and still do if you take into consideration the vintage stuff I had I sold at a "nice" profit to purchase new and extra "toys". 60+ years of giging sure adds up.

Geo

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2016 7:09 am    

Yes, enough that I have I.R.S. obligations.. Smile However, the 'it's deductable' argument carries considerable weight with the missus when gear purchase time comes around.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2016 10:08 am    

Quote:
As a part time player have you earned enough gigging over the years to cover the expense of all the gear you have?

Yes, many times over! I never was a gear-head or "guitar-whore", so most of the money was available for other things. Cool In fact, there were several years when I earned enough, just playing part-time and teaching, to buy a brand-new car.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2016 11:53 am    

Playing has been a great side income. Could I have paid for the homes,cars,insurance,children,gear etc.on it alone? No, but it has made buying toys,fixing cars and many other things much easier.

Money aside,it has made it possible to meet people, make friends,do things and go places I never would have had it not been for music.

It's been a good ride.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2016 2:06 pm    

No. I never played the "big paying" jobs. Even the 7 years I worked with Tommy Cash and the 2 years with George Hamilton IV, the pay really didn't cover it.