The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  PSG beginner, tips and tricks please!
Christopher Miller

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2016 10:17 pm    

I'm learning the pedal steel guitar and 12 strings is a overwhelming sometimes. So I bought UV colored DR strings that closely corresponded to E9 string sizes. Blue is one pedal and red is the other. What are your suggestions? I'm having trouble counting the frets and remembering some of the patterns. Any help you offer will be welcome for me and any other beginners.

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2016 10:25 pm     Re: PSG beginner, tips and tricks please!

Christopher Miller wrote:
I'm learning the pedal steel guitar and 12 strings is a overwhelming sometimes. So I bought UV colored DR strings that closely corresponded to E9 string sizes. Blue is one pedal and red is the other. What are your suggestions? I'm having trouble counting the frets and remembering some of the patterns. Any help you offer will be welcome for me and any other beginners.

Chris, how do you like those strings? I'm having similar problems although my Mullen fretboard makes keeping track of frets easier than if I had a monochrome like yours

Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2016 10:28 pm    

I was thinking perhaps some small removeable static cling letters or numbers stuck on the outer edges of fret markers to mark major open chords on bottom and majors with A/B pedals on top
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Christopher Miller

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2016 10:47 pm     magnetic letters?

Would magnetic letters work?

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2016 12:01 am    

No they wouldn't stick and would mar fretboard. Those static cling letters would work great if you could find them small enough.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2016 2:14 am    

I think I might talk to your local land and title company, and get some of their signature flags, that stick onto pages with the flag sticking out saying "sign here."
Stick the small bit on the fretboard, and label the flag with which chords are there

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2016 4:06 am    

Most important thing you could do... practice, practice, practice. It all comes with time.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2016 4:37 am     Re: PSG beginner, tips and tricks please!

Chris...what gauges did you get on those UV strings?

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2016 5:38 am    

Scott Duckworth wrote:
Most important thing you could do... practice, practice, practice. It all comes with time.

While various things might can help a bit, there are no magic doo-dads that make it easy. It's a long slow process. more so if you don't have a natural knack for music. I'm not putting down colored strings, flags or anything else if they help you. But they have yet to invent anything that makes it quick and simple.

You're still going to need hours and hours and hours of seat time, and you WILL hit the wrong string, the wrong fret, and everything else many times before it starts to fall into place no matter how you identify them visually.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2016 5:57 am    

Christopher - you don't say whether you already play regular guitar. If you do, then you're probably used to monochrome frets. If not, you'll soon learn which is which not from what they look like but from how they sound as you move between them.

12 strings are confusing, even if you're already used to 10, so full marks for going in at the deep end and welcome to the club!

My tip would be to get used used to finding the 8th string with your thumb as a starting point, but you will get lots of different answers to every question on this forum. On any instrument it's natural to want to do things the right way; unfortunately the pedal steel has more right ways than any instrument yet devised Smile

Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2016 6:05 am    

I know you are trying to learn a simple fix, but listen to all of these guys. The fret markers are on the neck for a reason. LEARN THEM. All it takes is practice, practice, practice. And the hours, hours, hours, of seat time. Once you learn where each key is barred, (like G on the 3rd fret, A on the 5th fret, and C on the 8th.) Your major 3 chords of that key, is 5 frets up, for the IV chord, and 2 more up, or 7 from the root, will be your V chord. That's with no pedals, or knee levers used. Once you understand the basics, you will progress. There is no magic, just a learning process. Hope maybe this will help you. Ronnie

Don Walworth

Gilmer, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2016 6:53 am    

[quote=" Those static cling letters would work great if you could find them small enough.[/quote]

Stationary area of WalMart is where I got mine.

Don

Christopher Miller

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2016 8:02 am     Re: PSG beginner, tips and tricks please!

Patrick Huey wrote:

Chris, how do you like those strings? I'm having similar problems although my Mullen fretboard makes keeping track of frets easier than if I had a monochrome like yours

The strings are fine. The 6th string is a little light but still bends and responds ok. The exact strings I got are medium K3™ NEON​™ Hi-Def© RED ELECTRIC NRE-10. See chart for implantation.

Christopher Miller

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2016 8:06 am    

Ian Rae wrote:
Christopher - you don't say whether you already play regular guitar. If you do, then you're probably used to monochrome frets. If not, you'll soon learn which is which not from what they look like but from how they sound as you move between them.

12 strings are confusing, even if you're already used to 10, so full marks for going in at the deep end and welcome to the club!

My tip would be to get used used to finding the 8th string with your thumb as a starting point, but you will get lots of different answers to every question on this forum. On any instrument it's natural to want to do things the right way; unfortunately the pedal steel has more right ways than any instrument yet devised Smile

I play jazz piano and acoustic guitar. I look down to a sea of strings. Smile Honestly it's coming together slowly as many of many have mentioned. I'll try regularly locating the 8th string since the majority of exercises I do concentrate on the 8th string or higher. Thank you!

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2016 8:54 am    

Don Walworth wrote:
[quote=" Those static cling letters would work great if you could find them small enough.

Don[/quote]
Don, Wally World sells static cling letters??? What size?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2016 5:34 pm    

I strongly advise against using stickers, labels, and such on a guitar. It's nothing but a crutch, and it will only hold back your memory progress.

There are only 5 fret markers on the neck to memorize, 3-5-7-9-12, and then everything merely repeats.

Just do it! Shocked

Once you've done that (shouldn't take but a couple of days, at most), then you can learn the keys of the open chords that correspond with those 5 markers. That may take a little longer, but it's easily doable in a few more days. And once you've got those memorized, it's fairly easy to figure out what's in-between.

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2016 5:45 pm    

The only thing similar I did, right when I just started, was to put a black cloth under where my RH picked, because I was having a wee bit of a hard time distinguishing the 1st and 2nd strings from the fingerboard edge on my Stage One. After a couple weeks, it wasn't necessary.

Don Walworth

Gilmer, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2016 5:03 am    

3/16" is what I have - comes 2 sheets of letters/numbers in a package.

don

Don[/quote]
Don, Wally World sells static cling letters??? What size?[/quote]

Will Cowell

Cambridgeshire, UK
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2016 5:16 am    

For the most part, you have three distinct tasks:

1. Learn where to find the chords you seek

2. Learn the positions of the fret markers

3. Educate your fingers to find the right strings.

There is no quick and easy fix. Every single person who has tried - and persevered - with the PSG has come down the same road with you or before you. Just be patient, trust your brain and your body to remember over time.

Muscle memory takes 10,000 repetitions to kick in reliably. Time to get out there on that seat and work, work, work. But try to have fun along the way. You have picked the hardest of instruments but it is very rewarding when it all comes together.
Roland Cube 80XL, Peterson Strobo+HD,
EarthQuaker Despatch Master for reverb / delay

Joe Ribaudo

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2016 11:02 am    

Jim Fogarty wrote:
"... put a black cloth under where my RH picked..."

Brilliant! I have this problem whenever I use the Tab Rack. It's brushed aluminum and the F# just disappears. Black gaffer's tape on the stand ought to do the trick. Thanks.

Steven Hicken Jr.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2016 7:20 am    

"One day you'll want to give up, many days later you'll wonder why when you have improved massively and are a shadow of your former self."

Steven Hicken Jr - 2016

Can I have that as my inspirational quote? I've been needing one for a while. Laughing

Seriously though seat time is very important, work on your left hand as much as your right. Perseverance as well as persistence is key.

Don't think about what you are now, just think about what you'll be in another 5 years. That's my motivation at least.

"Begin with the end in mind".

Steven Hicken Jr.
202X *Insert new guitar here*

https://www.stevenhickenjr.com/

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2016 10:04 pm    

Two pain in the neck drills of coordinaton skills you'll need:
A: 1) pick a fret, doesn't matter which
2) pick the 5th string
3) move the bar down two frets as you add the A pedal. You don't want to hear more than a little wobble in pitch

B: 1) pick the 5th string
2) move the bar up two frets while adding the A pedal.
You want to hear a smooth slope from 1 to 3/do to mi

If you want to play the stuff most of us want to, those two motions must be second nature

Eugene Kindle

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2016 10:09 pm     'cheater' id's

I play(?) a simple 4 foot-pedal, 8 string Fender 400, and after I changed my tuning, was having similar problems. I typed up my own 'cheat strip', via my computer, on sticky paper, cut out the strip, & stuck it on my side of the body aligned with the frets of the fretboard. It provides a quick reference & no one else sees it. I used white paper so it shows-out, even in a darker environment.

Ken Boi

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2016 12:32 pm    

Steven Hicken wrote:
"One day you'll want to give up, many days later you'll wonder why when you have improved massively and are a shadow of your former self."

Steven Hicken Jr - 2016

Steven, May I use your inspirational quote? Very Happy

Somedays I sure need it. As a newbie, I have days where I feel I am progressing. Feeling good and proud. Then the next day my picking hand can't find the right strings for nothing. That is when the quote will help. Funny thing though, many times on the following day, the improvement I thought I had made the day before comes back, and most times even better than before. I guess it is muscle patterns being learned. It just doesn't always progress daily.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2016 4:37 am    

Steven Hicken wrote:
"Begin with the end in mind".

That sounds a lot like Lao Tzu.
If you continue in that direction, you'll be a philosopher equal to Buddy Emmons.