The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lefthand Pedal Steel Sort Of
Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2016 4:02 pm    

I have a friend who is left handed and as fine a Telepicker as you'll ever find. He plays left handed Tele's. He'd like to try pedal steel and I'm kinda half scared to help him cause I fear he'd be a monster. What he claims he needs is a D10 with left handed necks, BUT with the pedals and volume pedal in the conventional right handed guitar positions. Have any of ever heard or seen this kind of rig?

Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2016 5:47 pm    

Mullen would probably build it for you! I couldn't Imagine trying to control a bar and volume at the same time tho.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2016 7:56 pm    

I am left-handed, but play steel righty. I really don't know why.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2016 8:19 pm    

The pedals couldn't be all the way to the left, since they'd be under the changer. They could probably get close-ish.
I don't think you'll find them used, but I bet almost any maker would do it for you in a new guitar.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2016 9:43 pm    

If you can think it, they can build it.
Years ago I saw a Sho-Bud Professional that was the other way around.
Right handed necks and left handed pedals. Tried to play it... very strange.

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2016 10:12 pm    

I've built two or three that were "lefty" on top, and a full "righty" uderneath.
Here are a few pictures, the first few are and SD-10 Judge model

And then here's an S10 s well.

James Holland

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2016 4:44 pm    

Couple options:

There's a builder on the list that builds a fully convertible left-or-right hand guitar.

Its possible a lefty could play a righthanded pedal steel, with a partial conversion: move the pedals and knees to the otherside, and sit on the otherside. The strings will still be reversed, but that might not slow a lefty down.

Finally, there are several builders who build full up lefties. Good luck -

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2016 10:54 am    

Thanks guys. This guy is one of those natural talents who has been playing guitar since he was a kid. His Dad was a fiddle player and before he passed away, this guy got him to teach him some fiddle. That sounds good too. I have a feeling he would be a pedal steel monster in no time. We'll just have to see how serious he is and if he wants to spend that kind of money. I don't see used lefty pedals for sale very often.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2016 11:00 am    

They come around once in a great while. The selection is going to be limited because they are so rare. Charlie Stepp of Derby guitars built a few lefties...I think at least one of them was left footed conventional pedals w/VP on the right.

I think Monte Good formerly of John Michael Montgomery's band was one of his lefty clients, but not sure if he was left or right footed. There were some others too.

Might be best to commission a new build with his desired features if he's really committed to playing one.

Nicholas Ackron

Daytona Beach
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2016 11:55 am    

Here's a clip of Dave Fonville from Jersey using a S10 Mullen left hand steel.
https://youtu.be/RBbR3xYjd2o

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2016 1:26 pm    

Rich Upright wrote:

Me too. I cant write my name with my right hand, but I play several instruments right handed. I don't think it really matters with something that you use both hands to do. You have to learn the task for each hand anyway. You don't see left handed computer keyboards, or music keyboards, and lefties do just fine. I don't think I've ever seen a set of drums set up left handed either. However, single handed task like writing, throwing a ball, using a hammer, etc... seem to be dependent on the dominant hand.

RC

James Holland

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2016 2:43 am    

Rick Campbell wrote:
Rich Upright wrote:

I don't think it really matters with something that you use both hands to do. You have to learn the task for each hand anyway. You don't see left handed computer keyboards, or music keyboards,
RC

Yea, so why don't you save LOTS of money, and buy/use unwanted lefthanded instruments, lefthanded guns, etc., if it doesn't matter? Think about it, lol...

Just like Right Handed people know its foolish to switch to lefthanded after they've developed a skill, its incongruent to not realize the reverse.

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2016 6:47 am    

Lane Gray wrote:
The pedals couldn't be all the way to the left, since they'd be under the changer. They could probably get close-ish.
I don't think you'll find them used, but I bet almost any maker would do it for you in a new guitar.

Forgive my ignorance, Lane, is it not possible to install the changer on the opposite side and build undercarriage backwards?
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!