The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  70's MSA changer fingers
Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2016 11:22 am    

Howdy Friends, I've decided to clean the C6th changer fingers. I've removed it and was wondering what be good to let it soak in. I've noticed that theres a yellow grease in the end caps that the cross rod goes into. Im wondering if the grease was applied when they built it. If all goes well I'll do E9th. Tenn.Lee
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,

Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2016 3:09 pm    

humm, no comment huh. well in case anyone wants to
know MSA has 36 delron washers about 10 or 11 thousands of an inch thick. 4+5 between the first and the tenth changer fingers and the end caps. Then 3 washers between each changer finger. Why they chose to use all these washers is beyond me,but obviously
it works. I'm just saying this in case some one else is doing this too and they lose track of what goes where. Thanks for any replies and info. T.L.
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,

Last edited by Lee Dassow on 17 Aug 2016 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2016 3:37 pm    

Good on ya there, Lee! I believe Tony Prior documented and dropped some hints on an Emmons changer, just a while back? Anyway, it weren't that long ago....
I've never done an all-pull changer myself, but did on a couple pull-releases...a Marlen and a Shobud perm...those one piece fingers were pretty easy, just used mothers mag & wheel polish. The Marlen changers had the skinny derlin washers, I just cleaned them with dish soap and water. I couldn't say if it plays any better, but it quit oozing black sludge and certainly looked worlds better! It was a pretty gratifying project and I did learn something on the mechanics. Good luck

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2016 3:47 pm    

I think the grease was owner-applied. Delrin is naturally slippery, not requiring lube.
When I did mine, both Michael Yahl and James Morehead advised me to just use a soft cloth and Meguiar's Cleaner Wax.