The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rick Frypan-Information Please
David Soreff

North Las Vegas, NV
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2016 2:18 pm    

Aloha Kakou,
This is for a friend of mine who has had this steel in his possession for a little while. He is not a steel guitarist, but would like to know a little bit more about it...including potential value. It has obviously been "ridden hard and put up wet", but I have plugged it in, and it sounds beautiful. Any thoughts on year and value would be most appreciated.

Mahalo,
Dave

Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2016 4:47 pm    

Post-war pickup, bakelite backplate and decal. Knobs are replacements. I can't tell about the Kluson tuners. Knobs look very white (replacments?) but stamping on housing (single- or double-line KLUSON DELUXE? no lettering?) and shaft going through the housing is a dating clue. If it's 22" scale I'd guess (other experts may have a different take) high teens-2K in that cosmetically rough but working condition. A few hundred more if it's 25"?

Emmett Mahoney

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2016 8:41 am    

Looks like a'40s-'50s A22 22.5" scale with replacement knobs and tuners . He could possibly get over 3K on ebay for it, like the last few I saw in similar condition.

Ron Simpson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2016 10:36 am    

Another Frypan from the past. This one was owned by Dick Sanft, and possibly made by him.

David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2016 2:32 pm    

I don't know much about Frypans, I have a 1935 bakelite, but looking at the postwar pickup on Dave's frypan, it does not seem to be fitted neatly and almost hangs over the edges. Also, there something funny about the nut.

Bo Parker

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2016 5:17 am    

Ron Simpson wrote:
Another Frypan from the past. This one was owned by Dick Sanft, and possibly made by him.

Is that an Alumitone pickup?

Ron Simpson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2016 7:32 am    

Yes it is an Alumitone pickup. The body only showed up on Ebay with a low buy it now. I had the pickup, and four on a plate Kluson tuners sitting around unused.

My wife and I had met Dick Sanft and his wife some years ago at the Aloha International Steel Guitar Club convention in Winchester Indiana.

The moral of the story is never throw away those old parts, they may come in handy some day.

Loren Tilley

Maui, Hawaii
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2016 8:49 am    

I sold a post war long scale frying pan in similar cosmetic condition to original post not long ago through an eBay auction, and I think it went for around $2200. It was a little bit less beat up looking. It was a very cool guitar, although fairly different from a prewar frying pan, especially in that it had a solid neck rather than hollow. Pickups are different too from prewar but I thought the neck contributed more to the difference than the pickup.

Ron Simpson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2016 9:16 am    

The Sanft guitar has a solid neck also. The seller said it was made by Dick Sanft, along with a few others as well.

Wally Pfeifer

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2016 10:18 am     Dick Sanft

Very Happy I don't recall Dick & Ruth being in Winchester. What year would that have been?
However, I know for sure he and Ruth were at the HSGA convention in Joliet IL several years ago.
Just curious.
We just got back from the AISGC convention and it was really a good one. A super hall to hold it, friendly small town, good food at the luau and you can't miss Wicks Restaurant for their gooseberry pie. (or any other pie your heart desires).
Same place in 2017.
Wally Smile Cool

Ron Simpson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2016 11:12 am    

I'm sure you are correct Wally. So many people attend both events it is difficult to keep them straight.

Ron

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2016 2:36 pm    

That old frypan sure looks like a CHOY to me ...(?

Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2016 8:18 am    

Dick Sanft, with his wife Ruth, came to the AISGC in Winchester as guest artist before going to HSGA as the guest artist in Joliet. I do not have the dates at this moment

It was common place for guest artist to play at both AISGC and HGSA conventions. The exemptions being that Barney Isaacs, Sol Bright, and Alvino Rey appeared only at the AISGC in Winchester.

I had the occasion to meet Dick Sanft before he came to either of the Steel Guitar clubs. I met him when I visited the Disney World Polynesian Village in Florida where he was playing Hawaiian Steel Guitar and singing with a Polynesian Group. From that chance encounter, I suggested to Dirk Vogel, the President of the AISGC, that we invite him to appear as a guest artist.

Ron Simpson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2016 9:12 am    

Thank you for posting Don. My memory isn't as bad as I thought. I am still wondering what a CHOY is.

Ron

Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2016 1:19 pm    

Keoki is probably referring to Richard Choy who lived in Hawaii. He had a shop in Honolulu where he sold what was called, "The Choy Fry Pan'. These steels were open back models.

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2016 11:00 pm    

Hi Don...That guitar is almost identical to mine which I've been informed is a CHOY. That back (black) round plastic with the center screw is an indication of it being a CHOY (?) Both that guitar and mine appear to have been used as outrigger paddles in their day! Both ugly !
However, the tone is still there. (Mine is a 6 string)

Ron Simpson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2016 6:37 am     Mystery Solved

Mahalo nui loa. I believe you have solved a mystery I have wondered about for a while now. The casting of the Sanft pan is somewhat different than the casting used on Rickenbackers.

The top of the peghead on a Rickenbacker frypan is open. while the top of the peghead on the Sanft pan is closed.

I did use a modified Rickenbacker pickup mounting plate to mount the Demarzio pickup. I had played it for a couple of days before I realized it was a 24.5" scale instrument.

To say I'm pleased with the purchase is an understatement.

Ron

Ron Simpson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2016 7:05 am     Re: Mystery Solved

Ron Simpson wrote:
Mahalo nui loa. I believe you have solved a mystery I have wondered about for a while now. The casting of the Sanft pan is somewhat different than the casting used on Rickenbackers.

The top of the peghead on a Rickenbacker frypan is open. while the top of the peghead on the Sanft pan is closed.

I did use a modified Rickenbacker pickup mounting plate to mount the Alumitone pickup. I had played it for a couple of days before I realized it was a 24.5" scale instrument.

To say I'm pleased with the purchase is an understatement.

Ron

Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2016 6:00 pm    

Looks a lot like the one I've got, 1950s.
I find the tone as good as any of the earlier ones. With the solid neck it lacks some of that hollow character, however. Of course the body is still hollow.
Don't knock it until you Choy it.

Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2016 12:32 am    

Don't knock it until you Choy it. Funi gai

Wally Pfeifer

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2016 6:25 am    

Very Happy Isn't RICKENBACHER "pre-war" and RICKENBACKER "post- war"?

Emmett Mahoney

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2016 9:04 am    

The spelling doesn't necessarily indicate pre or post war. I have a Rickenbacher D16, which were made from '46-'49 and it's spelled with an H

Michael Gordon

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2016 9:18 pm    

So this one is staying in Hilo.I normally play a Weissenborn and/or a Kona and anything koa that sticks to my hands.Never thought of going electric.But when I asked Ken at the store on my bi-monthly visit,do you have any vintage,he said no.Then thinking of this guitar I saw on the forum I said how about frying pans? I guess he doesn't consider frying pan vintage he does now.I don't plan on making this a wall hanger.So first I need an amp.What would be a period correct amp here.Also stock or stock looking knobs and tuners would be nice down the road.
I have been reading the forum for years and always,well not always,enjoy the knowledge shared here.
Mahalo Nui,
Michael