The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A Different Windows Update Issue
George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2016 6:41 pm    

I am also using Windows 7, an older computer. My problem is, the little green bar just keeps on moving along, after I click for updates. I never do see any updates to download? I have scanned with Norton Security Suite (free with Comcast), and Superantispyware. I last updated in April. Haven't added or removed anything I can think of. I installed a wireless modem, but got it from Comcast. I have also tried a few of the "this will fix it" that are online. Any suggestions?

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2016 9:16 pm    

George;
Here is a page full of search results for Windows 7 update stuck checking for updates. I'm sure one or more will help solve your problem.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2016 2:30 am    

That is a common complaint that I see on computer forums.

I have a dual boot Win7/Win 10. My Win 7 hadn't been updated for a while. But, I don't use Win 7 that much. But, I tried it a couple of days ago and let it sit "checking for updates" and after about 2 hours it finally got some updates.

Randy Schneider

SW New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2016 4:52 am    

I've seen the same problem on both Vista and Win 7. Some have identified specific updates that, when installed separately, have helped some computers get through the update process. They've helped our machines out.

You can check out the page at:
http://wu.krelay.de/en/

Some of the specific KB installs are noted there, along with the links to MSFT's site to download them. Get the versions you need for your system and install those first, reboot, and then try running Windows Update.

George Redmon

Post  Posted 1 Aug 2016 8:29 am    

Thanks everyone so much for the help. I will certainly check these leads out. Again thanks to everyone who took the time to help.

George Redmon

Post  Posted 11 Aug 2016 3:03 pm    

Hey thank you wiz. Yes, I had to download a tool from Microsoft that fixed it. I had over 40 updates, all is well again. I only update for windows. Never hardware updates or drivers, except from their own website. See wiz, I remembered what you told me. Thanks everyone so much appreciated. Very Happy

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2016 2:24 am    

I had a problem with my Win 7 installation and had to restore from a disc image, Wednesday. It was before the last update. After the update it showed last updated 6/6/16, even though Windows Defender had updated. (There was nothing lost with the restore as I just keep Win 7 mainly for support).

I let it set for 2 hours and still searching. I went back to Win 10 as I had some things to do (it is a dual boot system). Later I brought up Win 7 again and started the checking for updates and after another 3 hours still searching. I had to switch back to Win 10 to do some tasks. I went back to Win 7 and almost immediately after booting up, I got a notice that updates were ready to be installed. My Win 7 is now up to date.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2016 6:09 am    

It's almost beginning to sound like they are purposely delaying updates to Windows 7 machines. Of course, updates are provided by their servers and they can throttle them based upon operating systems if they wish.

In the case of Windows 10 updates, other "nearby" Windows 10 computers may be configured to cache and serve Windows updates for other Windows 10 users. Not so with previous OSes. So, Win 10 users get updates faster, generally speaking.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog