The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Want To Install Windows 7
winston

Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2016 7:19 am    

I have an HP23 touch screen I want to convert to win7. It has Windows 8, was upgraded to win 10 then the hard drive failed. Since I do not have a win 8 or win 10 disk I want to install win 7. I don't care about the touch screen so that part is no problem. When I put the win 7 disk in the cd rom and try to boot from it I get a message saying improber signature or something like that. I assume the BIOS won't let the cdrom read the win 7 disk. Is it possible to install win 7 or will I have to buy a new win 10 disk? thanks Winston May

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2016 9:52 am    

I'm guessing, but when you install Win 8 or 10 on a newer PC the Product Key (or digital entitlement in Win 10) is written to the BIOS. Thus I'm guessing the BIOS has the Win 10 digital entitlement and won't let you install Win 7.

There is another issue, since this originally had Win 8 on it, HP may not have some Win 7 drivers, and Microsoft (Windows) may not have them either.

As it has the Win 10 digital entitlement key, you can download and reinstall Win 10 on the new hard drive. You will have to make a Win 10 ISO Installation media (e.g. USB flash drive or DVD) so you can reinstall Windows.
A Flash Drive with at least 4.5GB of free space is needed and the best option.

Download the "Media Creation Tool" That is a Windows program that will download and create the install media on a flash drive or DVD.

This tutorial from the tenforums.com will show you how to download the media creation tool and create the install media.

CLICK ME

winston

Post  Posted 9 Aug 2016 12:18 pm    

Thanks Jack. My hard drive has locked up. Can I still download from Microsoft from another computer?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2016 1:55 pm    

Yes, use the Media Creation tool that's detailed in the CLICK ME link to the tenforums tutorial.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2016 3:04 pm    

I must be missing something...inquiring minds want to know...once the requisite "download" is done, what's to do with it, given that "my hard drive has locked up"?

Just trying to learn something here...what's the end-game?

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2016 7:46 pm    

Dave Potter wrote:
I must be missing something...inquiring minds want to know...once the requisite "download" is done, what's to do with it, given that "my hard drive has locked up"?

Just trying to learn something here...what's the end-game?

I'm guessing that Winston has already purchased, or intends to purchase a new hard drive for his HP-23.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

winston

Post  Posted 9 Aug 2016 7:55 pm    

Yes Wiz I have a new hard drive waiting.

winston

Post  Posted 10 Aug 2016 5:55 pm    

Jack
Worked as you said. Easy execution. thanks Winston May

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2016 2:16 am    

Great. Glad I could help.

Maybe that tutorial link should be some type of sticky for this forum section, since Win 10 is now the "main" OS.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2016 9:30 am    

This is proof that Microsoft is destroying computers to push everyone to move to Windows 10. Once 10 is on your pc, you will have a difficult time removing it and going backwards. Expert media guys I know have thrown away pc's contaminated with 10 and stay away from it.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2016 4:23 pm    

Godfrey Arthur wrote:
This is proof that Microsoft is destroying computers to push everyone to move to Windows 10. Once 10 is on your pc, you will have a difficult time removing it and going backwards. Expert media guys I know have thrown away pc's contaminated with 10 and stay away from it.

"contaminated with Win10"..LOL. I doubt that. I have 4 computers running Win10 now, with no issues.

"difficulty going back"...I've done it, and it's not difficult. But, why would anyone WANT to? No matter which prior OS it is, it's not going to deal with current hardware better than Win10.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2016 4:53 pm    

Quote:
contaminated with Win10"..LOL. I doubt that. I have 4 computers running Win10 now, with no issues.

"difficulty going back"...I've done it, and it's not difficult. But, why would anyone WANT to? No matter which prior OS it is, it's not going to deal with current hardware better than Win10.

Contaminated in the sense that you can't go back to Windows 7. Never mind 8. So many sold their pc's that had 8.

That is the problem. The new hardware is there with backdoors built-into the motherboards. That is why going "forward" is not a good idea if you know what is happening with these devices.

You need a "why?"

Here it is:
http://bgr.com/2015/07/31/windows-10-upgrade-spying-how-to-opt-out/

And even if you can "opt out" how sure are you that you have? The backdoors are built into the processor. It's not software anymore, it's part of the hardware. So what are you "opting out of?"

It's like 'airplane mode' on your cell. It's a a big ruse. You turn the cell off, it still can hear and see you especially if it's a "smart" phone. Not unless you take the battery out. Now they are making smart phones, where you can't take the battery out unless you perform major surgery.

This is why...

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2016 6:43 am    

Godfrey Arthur wrote:
Contaminated in the sense that you can't go back to Windows 7.... That is why going "forward" is not a good idea if you know what is happening with these devices.

You need a "why?" Here it is: http://bgr.com/2015/07/31/windows-10-upgrade-spying-how-to-opt-out/

Nothing new or earth-shaking in that link. Those kinds of "concerns" have been written up for years. And we're not seeing any of the sinister predictions coming to pass - everything's still pretty much rocking along.

But you and others who can't tolerate the current state of affairs in the tech world have choices:

1) Keep using your old Windows 7 OS and running all your tired, old, obsolete hardware till things start falling apart - then what? You won't be able to replace it - it'll be long gone from the shelves.

2) Go Apple

3) Go Linux (good luck with that)

4) Accept the bitter with the sweet, upgrade to a much more modern, capable, and robust OS, Windows 10, and be able to run more capable and sophisticated hardware along with it.

Quote:
And even if you can "opt out" how sure are you that you have? The backdoors are built into the processor. It's not software anymore, it's part of the hardware. So what are you "opting out of?"

You're opting out of what you're permitted to opt out of. Take it or leave it. Windows 10 is not the first Microsoft product to "call home" - it's been going on for years. But Microsoft has no monopoly on that practice - most people actually WANT to know when a newer version of their software is available for download. That happens because the software "called home".

Quote:
It's like 'airplane mode' on your cell. It's a a big ruse. You turn the cell off, it still can hear and see you especially if it's a "smart" phone. Not unless you take the battery out.

"Airplane mode" doesn't turn the phone off, it just turns off the radios - the rest still works. Turning the phone OFF, altogether, DOES turn it off. Otherwise, people would be reporting battery drain even when the devices are switched off. That's not happening.

Look, if "black helicopter" stuff is your thing, go for it. I choose to use common sense, take available precautions, and get on with life. It has an expiration date, you know. No one gets out alive.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2016 7:00 am    

Dave Potter wrote:

Look, if "black helicopter" stuff is your thing, go for it. I choose to use common sense, take available precautions, and get on with life. It has an expiration date, you know. No one gets out alive.

The problem with information is you don't know what you don't know.

Yeah no one gets out alive, but you can at least defend yourself till the end.

"common sense?" the thing about sense is it isn't common.. especially not these days..

"black helicopter"?? give me a break..

Not everyone wears rose colored glasses...

This is where it's headed..bet the guy in the aisle is your friend..

http://www.businessinsider.com/edward-snowden-phone-2016-7