The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  FREE Win 10 ends on July 29
Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2016 5:09 pm    

Carl Kilmer wrote:
you can set your computer to boot up to desktop every time without having to sign in with your password.

The issue I referenced in my previous post didn't involve passwords. It had to do with the annoying "Sign-In" screen that shows up, regardless of whether the account is password-protected or not.

The default behavior of Win10 is to present the user with a "Sign-In" screen at bootup, even when password protection is NOT being used. The point of my earlier post was to provide a means to skip it.

Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2016 6:50 pm    

If you use the URL I posted the "Sign-In" screen won't come on anymore.

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2016 7:27 pm    

Charlie McD:

You might get a big enjoy out of this re your old pal, Cortana:

http://www.techspot.com/news/65766-microsoft-make-cortana-mandatory-anniversary-update.html

Quoting from that:

".........the virtual assistant is set to replace the standard search function altogether in the upcoming software update, and users will no longer be able to disable Cortana after the Anniversary Update."

“With the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, the search box is now Cortana," Microsoft said in a statement. "Customers can expect the same great search experience powered by Bing and Microsoft Edge with the added benefit of Cortana’s personality."

Should be a regular laff-riot.

I think the Anniversary Update will be available next week. I know you are looking forward to it.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2016 5:47 am    

Mitch Drumm wrote:
users will no longer be able to disable Cortana after the Anniversary Update...available next week.

Yeah, right. "Forced upon us" would probably be more apropos - "ASSUME THE POSITION....". That's a revolting development. MS just keeps tightening the screws, don't they?

I don't use Edge or Bing most of the time, and the "Cortana" thing is equally unappealing. But doesn't Apple have something similar? Siri?

It's gettin' where there's nowhere to go, nowhere to hide. And no, Linux ain't happening. I suppose we should all consider ourselves fortunate that MS, in all it's benevolence, still even ALLOWS the use of 3rd-party browsers in "their" operating system.

I bet in time, we'll see some enterprising hackers come up with ways to defeat most of this objectionable stuff people don't want or need. This article already provides an easy work-around for anyone looking for a search alternative to Cortana. "Everything" is a small, free search tool that installs easily and quickly, and it's lightening fast on searches. I like it, and I think I'll keep it and use it instead of the dread Cortana.

Last edited by Dave Potter on 29 Jul 2016 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2016 6:03 am    

"Understandably some users are upset that Microsoft is forcing Cortana on them -- on top of removing Google as an option for web searches and also making the Windows 10 Anniversary Update mandatory. "

The face of the future?

I can't imagine why, but Cortana makes me think of VIKI in I, Robot.
------------
Maybe this is a conspiracy and Windows has been hired by Apple to drive customers to Mac.

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2016 7:38 am    

Dave Potter wrote:
"Everything" is a small, free search tool that installs easily and quickly, and it's lightening fast on searches. I like it, and I think I'll keep it and use it instead of the dread Cortana.

Yeah, "Everything" is dynamite.

Finds files as quick as you can type a partial file name. I use it probably 100 times a week.

Free at Voidtools.com.

Only shortcoming: it searches file names only, not contents.

So, if you are the type who would put both a salmon recipe and some Buddy Emmons biographical info into a single file called "Neat Stuff", then it's probably not for you.

On the other hand, if you are even semi-organized, jump on it.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2016 10:22 am    

I've got the "Insider" edition of Win 10 that will probably be the Anniversary Update on Aug 2. I can't get rid of Cortana, as mentioned. I don't need it as I don't have a mic connected to my desktop system. As far as that goes, I don't use Siri on my iPhone.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2016 1:34 pm    

Jack Stoner wrote:
I can't get rid of Cortana, as mentioned. I don't need it as I don't have a mic connected to my desktop system.

Surely you occasionally need to use the search box to find things on your PC, no? If you do, that's Cortana - everything search-related is going to be Cortana, whether it's mic-initiated or typed.