The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  convert an E9th to a C6th ?- Plse close
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2016 2:15 pm    

In an earlier post I had asked which pedal you could do without on C6th as the model I am considering can only have a max of 4 pedals thus, leading towards asking the questions:

(1) could one of those pedals be functionally moved to a knee lever, and which one would make the most sense.

(2) I am curious if a person could re-arrange a set up on E9th for use as a C6th pedal ? I know that student models and some other steels are set up such that no changes can be made.

(3) what other things might need to be changed ? Someone suggested the rollers for the fatter bottom strings of a C6th tuning would need to be larger.

Any thoughts on this matter would be appreciated, including you're crazy Lenhart just buy a D10, but I dont want the weight and the expense and I love my SD10...I would just use this guitar in my music room to tinker with, at least at first.

Thanks in advance for helping out a dumb Okie here make a decision.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Last edited by Larry Lenhart on 30 Jul 2016 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Jeff Heard

Lopez Island, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2016 4:01 pm    

Larry,
I've never done it, but I've often thought of having either the conventional pedal 7 (or pedal 5) on a knee lever. I don't like using two feet when using those two together. I believe Lane G and Jerry Gleason both have the pedal 7 pulls on a knee. Maybe they will chime in. The whole tone pulls might be a kinda long throw for a knee lever, particularly a vertical.
As for the nut rollers, a friend of mine had a set of gauged rollers made for his Sierra by BSG Steel Guitars, and a think the price was pretty reasonable.

One dumb Okie to another... Smile

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2016 5:35 pm    

I have P5 on a knee, so that I don't double foot with P7.
If I were to have a 4P/5K C6th guitar, I'd put P4, P6, P7 and P8 on the floor.
I'd put a half step raise of 4 and 8 on LKL, raise 3 and 7 to C# on LKV, P5 on LKR, lower 4 to Ab and 8 to G on RKL, and lower 3 to B on RKR.

James Holland

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2016 9:02 am    

I'm interested in this too. Looks like a typical C6 pedal setup requires 5 pedals and 4 knees - two raises for four pedals, and 3 raises for the 5th pedal. The knees raise and lower one string each. The pedals and knees don't raise/lower the same strings as E9, so there would need to be extensive re-configuring required. So, given the time and parts to do it, it may not be financially beneficial. Probably cheaper to just trade up to a D10?

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2016 9:25 am    

What kind of guitar? Most can add pulls to a shaft easily

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2016 10:01 am    

Wing Nut, just have someone build you a custom C6 single neck. Very Happy

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2016 11:55 am    

Good idea Fred...you and I had talked about that one time and you pointed out that it makes sense, due to the fact that many of us, not me of course, are getting older and the D10s are harder to carry around.
I am starting to think that is the best idea ! I will let you know what I decide ! Hope you are doing well there in the heat and that those trees are still growing in the front yard ! Smile Take care ! Still the wing nut ! Smile
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2016 12:31 pm    

I have both pedal 7 & 8 on knee levers. Looking back, I probably should have put pedal 5 on a lever instead of pedal 7. After having pedal 8 on a lever, I would never put it back on the floor.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2016 12:58 pm    

Most professional pedal steels should accommodate a C6th tuning same as E9th with a few hardware additions.

A 3/3 universal changer might make changes and timing easier for all pull steels. Here's what I'd do:

Put the normal fourth pedal, 4th string only raise on KL. Works best on a left acting KL. Add a half stop so the raise will be A/Bb/B. Leave the 8th string raise off. There are so many things you do with that string 4 raise with a half stop and better options across the neck with the 8th string unchanged.

Arrange pedals as follows:

Put your boo-wah or splat pedal normal pedal 8 on your #1 pedal.

Put your normal 5th pedal next as your #2 pedal.

Normal 6th pedal next to that as your #3 pedal.

Normal 7th pedal next to that as your #4 pedal.

Putting normal 8 and 5 pedals [1 & 4] next to each other, you will find you have to jump across pedals less. [Try Hold It with this arrangement.]

F.I., I do everything I play on C6 without 2 footing except for Satin Doll and any other tune requiring those changes. Of course the way and what you like to play will have a bearing.

I can't see any reason why you'd have to do anything else to your guitar but add some pull trains if it's a single neck, unless you just need another knee lever or so.

Many builders use the same nut rollers, changers etc for both necks. No reason to change anything except the strings and the geometry of the pull trains.

James Holland

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2016 1:36 pm    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
Most professional pedal steels should accommodate a C6th tuning same as E9th with a few hardware additions.

Thanks - My de-lima was trading up to a D10 for under $1000 or find another $$$ SD and do it myself. I've got a pull-release with spit tuning - I'm not sure it will do triple changes?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2016 1:41 pm    

Can't say. Don't know a thing about a pull-release.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2016 1:43 pm    

James, in your case, since you live in Alabama, I'd decide on a copedent, and have Bob do the conversion.
The pull-release can support as complex a copedent as you want, but the person doing the setup has to know what they're doing: the questions you've asked make me think you would have a good deal of difficulty.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2016 1:55 pm    

Jerry I really appreciate your response also...well thought out and the voice of experience...you too Lane. My problem is definately I would have no clue as to how to do the conversion...I would have to have someone do it for me. One builder I talked to isnt familiar with C6th at all but it willing to try and so I am trying to do some research for him in case I go that way...obviously thats not Fred since he once built me a great D10 and knows how to do it. So I do appreciate the input I have had on this thread and am trying to absorb it to pass on regardless of which way I go with this.

James Holland

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2016 4:40 pm    

Lane Gray wrote:
James, in your case, since you live in Alabama, I'd decide on a copedent, and have Bob do the conversion.
The pull-release can support as complex a copedent as you want, but the person doing the setup has to know what they're doing: the questions you've asked make me think you would have a good deal of difficulty.

You are correct! I'd love the challenge of figuring it out, that's not the problem - But I'm at the busiest point in my professional career, travelling and no way can I find the undivided time to focus and finish something like this. What I really need to do, is just have Bob make me up another SD10 in C6th or a new D10....

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2016 7:13 pm     Ask someone like Larry Allen to do the work

Larry Allen, a Forum member, did a great job changing my Universal to a straight C6th which previously belonged to Sonny Jenkins. stevet

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2016 12:46 am    

Howere you shoot, do consider that two-footing on a C6th is far more common, and if you had used a double neck, haing the pedals way over to the left may vibe ya wierd.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2016 5:32 am    

I have decided that I am just going to save my pennies and have a C6th single neck built. So Bob, you can close this thread as far as I am concerned.
Thanks to all who have contributed.