The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RIP Pete Martinez
Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 26 May 2016 6:27 am    

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/obituaries/agapito-pete-martinez-sr-24848937-ee41-7455-e053-0100007f79f5-348978501.html

Just learned about this, although Pete passed away in Wichita Falls last November at 89.

He was one of the pioneers of west coast steel guitar, with recordings dating back to the mid 1940s--with Jimmy Wakely, Hank Thompson, and others.

He's very rarely mentioned on this forum, which is a shame. He typically played in a style highly reminiscent of Joaquin Murphey.

For instance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZW8t8w9Q30

Rick Jackson

Carson City, Nevada
Post  Posted 26 May 2016 7:23 am    

Pete was featured on The Hollywood Barn Dance with Jimmy Wakely quite a bit and did have a similar sound to Joaquin who was also on that show with Andy Parker and The Plainsmen....

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2016 5:44 pm    

Tom Morrell called me back in 2001 and asked if I knew who Pete Martinez was. I said, sure... I knew Pete Martinez played in CA back in the 40's with Jimmy Wakely primarily, but also Merle Travis and others, was kinda Joaquin influenced, and that he moved back to Wichita Falls in the early 50's. Why?

Morrell: Because we're inducting him into the Texas SGHOF and you've got to locate him and tell him to come to the Jamboree, but don't tell him why... it's got to be a surprise.

(Morrell assigned that task to me a couple of times, even before I joined the TSGHOF)

Long story short: I found Pete through his son, Pete Jr. I had a great conversation with him, like the first phone call I had with Joaquin, that lasted for almost an hour. But I had to tell him he was going in the HOF to get him to agree to come to the Jamboree.

When he came for his induction, he brought with him HIS Hawaiian guitar teacher! At the time, Pete was 75... his steel teacher had to be in his 90's! It was a great induction and a very cool hang.

Bobby Black told a few of us some incredible Pete Martinez stories one morning in Phoenix a couple years back... maybe one day one of us will share. Laughing

Sorry for the tease.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Mike Black

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2016 2:52 pm    

Sorry to say I hadn't heard about Pete's passing. His Bigsby steel was stolen from him in a home robbery in the 90's. I'm in Ft Worth during that time talking Western Swing with a fan at Big Balls. He tells me he's stopped by a road construction flagger who hears the Western Swing coming out of his truck. The guy says he's got a steel to sell. He went out and looked at it and it's Pete's Bigsby! He didn't buy it but he remembered it. He and I tried to locate it after that but never got anywhere.
Tom introduced him to me but I'm sorry to say I don't recall what we talked about. I'm sure I told him about his steel but can't remember what he said about it.