The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RedLine Acoustics, Hendersonville, TN - Dobro & Mandolins
Larry Cohen

Oshkosh, WI, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2016 9:24 am    

Sometimes one get’s lucky and walks into a business that you wouldn’t even know is there or existed. I was in TN having my pedal steels fixed, but I was also in TN looking for an authentic American made Dobro. I got lucky when I walked into RedLine Acoustics and met Steve Smith the owner. RedLine is right up the road from Steel Guitars of Nashville, but again, you’d never know it. Steve Smith is a rare individual - a true entrepreneur - for over 20 years Steve has been designing and making custom Dobros & Mandolins one at a time. Steve also showed me a Mandolin he was refurbishing and his small bridges. He is known for the quality of his bridges and receives orders for these alone. Steve gave me a tour, rooms full equipment, explaining the machinery and how he makes each instrument. It was fascinating and impressive - 20 plus years of being independent and owning a business is unique in and of itself. He showed me a beautiful Dobro he made. For some reason the individual he originally made it for didn’t think the finish was shiny enough. To my eyes the finish was gorgeous. It was just what I wanted — an authentic made in America Dobro. The price was more then fair - now I own it. It would been so easy to go on-line an buy one of those cheap imports from China. It was nice to see that there is an alternative right there in Hendersonville, TN. Sometimes you just need to get in your car and go.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2016 9:47 am    

Congratulations! I hear good things about the Red Line instruments. It's great to actually meet and talk to the guy who built your instrument and get all that good info from him. You know that it will be set up properly for playability and optimum tone which is so important with resophonic instruments. Plus you know where he is if you have questions or need help.

I share your appreciation buying a US made instrument! Enjoy!

Don Drummer

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2016 10:16 pm     mando

I would love to have someone build a simple 8 string mondo with a 10 string neck. Redeem Zinkl had one when played with Dan Hicks.

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2016 6:46 am    

One of the best sounding dobros I ever played was a Redline.

Matt Ireland

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2016 10:10 pm    

Started playing dobro about a year ago and was lucky to be able to get a Redline from Steve. Great company that I stumbled on at resohangout.com. Now, I am hoping to get my first pedal steel within the week Very Happy

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2016 7:13 am    

Larry, thanks for posting. I do not own a RedLine instrument, but if I was in the market for a new or custom reso, RedLine would be my first stop.

Steve and his RedLine company were featured in The Fretboard Journal number 27 (Fall 2012). It is a good article with great photos in a beautiful magazine (for those not familiar with it).

I find it reassuring to know that there are still craftsmen (craftspersons?) in this world who are both cost conscious and care about quality.