The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bar and pick exercises?
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 7:27 am    

Anyone do bar or pick exercises when not playing the steel guitar?

Doug Jernagan mentioned in a video that some players squeeze a rubber ball to strengthen their picking hand. I use a hand exercise ball I purchased at Sports Authority ball that is available in different tensions. I use the softest model and keep it in my car while stuck in traffic or on a long highway drive.

I also believe I heard Joe Wright say that while watching TV he held his bar and twirled it and manipulated it. I do this also do this as I feel it helps my bar hand.

While these exercises are not a replacement for sitting at the steel guitar and practicing, it does gives me an edge when I do play the steel. Anyone have any drills they do?

Jarek Anderson

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 12:03 pm    

I'm going to try both of these things. I'm just getting back to the steel after a long recovery... I always find that my left hand/wrist/forearm has a tough go for the first week or so of practice.

I do find myself visualizing, and sometimes even 'shadow' practicing at work. When I've practiced a certain part over and over, I can move my feet and legs as though I'm playing it at work, or on the bus.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2016 3:58 pm    

I might also mention that there are silly putty type products available that you can stretch and manipulate to help make your hands nimble. Therapists use a variety of items after hand surgery. Going to see if can order some of thiese items online.