The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wiz-Win 10
Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2016 5:07 pm    

I have upgraded 3 computers to Win 10 but I can't upgrade
my wife's laptop. You said there were various reasons. Is there any way to get the computer to tell you why?

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2016 6:28 pm    

I found this on a forum: "The Windows 10 Upgrade Advisor is built into KB3035583, it will put a "get windows 10" icon in the system tray, you can check compatibility using that. It will run a readiness report and flag anything that has issues with W10"
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2016 1:42 am    

That upgrade advisor is not always true. A friend had a Gateway and the advisor told him his video was not Win 10 compatible. He upgraded anyway and during installation Windows 10 installed an upgraded/compatible video driver.

He upgraded using the "Media Creation Tool" which allows downloading Win 10 and creating a bootable ISO.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2016 6:16 am    

Ken;
It would help if you list the specs of the laptop that won't upgrade to Windows 10.

• Make and model of machine
  • Operating system version
  • Service Pack
  • CPU brand
  • CPU model
  • Amount of installed RAM

Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2016 7:16 am    

Will do. I just have to get it out of my wife's hands.

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2016 2:49 pm    

I used the Windows 10 upgrade advisor, which told me I had a problem. I will take it too a guy who can fix it.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2016 4:16 pm    

Ken Lang wrote:
I will take it too a guy who can fix it.

Maybe. The reality is such that there ARE some systems that simply can't run Windows 10, due to the higher performance specifications that accompany all Windows operating systems upgrades. That's just a fact of life.

Your "guy who can fix it" may be able to do that. OTOH, he may report that if you want something that can run Windows 10, you need to buy another device.

And, as always, all of us eventually buy newer hardware, just to keep up with the demands of newer software. It is, what it is.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2016 4:23 pm    

Ken;
FYI: There are some CPUs that cannot work with Windows 10, due to their lack of certain computing features. It is possible that your wife's laptop contains such an inadequate processor.

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2016 3:25 am    

It says it is compatible. Now my wife is saying what if I leave it Win 7 and get a new one in 3 or 4 years when Win 7 is no longer supported. Sounds OK to me. She's had it a couple of years anyway. It's a 10" and she wants something smaller. By then, who knows.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2016 9:34 am    

Ken Lang wrote:
It says it is compatible. Now my wife is saying what if I leave it Win 7 and get a new one in 3 or 4 years when Win 7 is no longer supported. Sounds OK to me. She's had it a couple of years anyway. It's a 10" and she wants something smaller. By then, who knows.

The laptop may not have enough RAM, or hard disk space available. Win 10 has a lot of visual overlays and graphics (e.g. live tiles) that didn't exist in Win 7. Perhaps she will be better off getting a new Microsoft Surface tablet that is fast and supported much longer than Windows 7 will be.

If the little laptop won't upgrade, she can use it as is until it dies. I keep an old Dell Latitude with Windows XP Pro for one or two programs that I can't get updates for. I use it offline to compose and print cards and some flyers.

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2016 11:24 am    

I think I will leave it alone until she makes noise about it. Between NY and LA. we have 2 desktops and 2 laptops
and 2 XP computers. I think it's covered. Thanks for the reply's.