The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Windows 10 problem...............
winston

Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2016 3:23 pm    

I have an HP Pavilion p6717c desktop with win 7 Ultimate. I am trying to upgrade to win 10 using the windows 10 Upgrade Assistant. It checked my computer and said it is ok for the upgrade. However when the Assistant said "getting your upgrade ready it stuck at 99%. I let it run 8-10 hours yesterday with no luck. Started again this morning at 7:30AM and it is now 7:30PM and it is still stuck at 99%. This is the first time I have had any kind of problem with the win10 upgrade. Any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks Winston May

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2016 5:30 pm    

If:

1: your PC is compatible with Windows 10 as the upgrade assistant says it is

and

2: you are sure you want Windows 10

then you can download Windows 10 and do a clean install rather than an upgrade, wiping out Windows 7 completely.

I have no idea why you are having the problem, but a clean install is generally the best idea anyway.

If you think you might want to revert to Windows 7 after the clean install of Windows 10, you'll have to first make an image of your current Windows 7 installation or have some way of doing a clean Windows 7 install.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2016 7:44 pm    

My partner in our business had a Windows 7 Ultimate laptop that was successfully auto-upgraded to Windows 10. So, I know it "can" be done with that OS flavor.

That said, failures to complete upgrades can be caused by a multitude of issues. These include any of the following.

• Bad sectors on your primary hard disk
  • Defective RAM modules
  • Leaking capacitors on the motherboard
  • Corrupt system files
  • Messed up file/folder/registry permissions
  • Hardware device driver incompatibilities
  • Anti-virus mistaking the upgrade for a virus
  • Bad download of Windows 10 setup files
  • Other software or tasks running in the background and interfering with the upgrade
  • Having run some software upgrade without rebooting or shutting down. Remnants of recent installs and upgrades can interfere with the next upgrade.
  • Insufficient available disk space
  • Running the upgrade from a Standard User rather than Administrator level account.
  • A malware infection, especially a rootkit or bootkit, can prevent a successful upgrade.

Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

winston

Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2016 5:29 am    

I left the computer on all night and now I have win 10 installed. The reason for the upgrade instead of clean install is I did not want to lose everything including my installed programs. Working fine. thanks for the help. Winston May