The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pete Finney
Eric Henry

Corvallis, OR
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2016 8:33 am    

I've been enjoying and admiring Pete Finney's tasteful playing these days. He has amazing touch with the harmonics in particular and uses them in creative ways that really compliment songs.

Great playing here on recent stuff here with Robbie Fulks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwZyFai2J9o

I first heard his playing when a friend recommended a fine Caitlin Cary and Thad Cockrell record called "Begonias." This "Waiting On June" song is a good example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS7SvPCpK9Y Lots of other gems on there.

Other recommendations welcome.

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2016 12:54 pm    

Pete is a wonderful player who doesn't get talked about nearly enough around here. He has played with a lot of great artists including Patty Loveless, Allison Moorer, Sylvia, and Reba McIntyre (thank God he was on "the other plane")

He is a class act and a walking musical encyclopedia. Years ago Pete sold me my first real steel and encouraged me to take lessons from Buddy Charleton. I will always be grateful and I am proud to call him my friend.

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2016 4:27 pm    

Very nice, especially how he uses harmonics as a big part of his approach (listen to the "Waiting on June" cut). I've often thought that I should do more of that, and it's nice to hear how Pete does it.

Eric, thanks for posting Robbie Fulks. He's one of the edgiest songwriters around.

Pete, if you read this, let me know if this line-up comes to the S.F. area.

Joe

Greg Milton

Benalla, Australia
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2016 10:29 pm    

Love Pete's playing!

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2016 7:48 am    

Yes. Pete's playing and phrasing is just perfect. Love Robbie Fulks. Always loved that song of his "Georgia Hard" with Lloyd playing steel along with Redd Volkaert on guitar. Really great stuff.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2016 6:59 am    

Cool to see Robbie mentioned here. My friend & occasional bandmate Gerald drums for him. Most excellent musicians, both of them.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2016 7:27 am    

I've always enjoyed Pete's playing. Back in the Patty Loveless days and before that. Pete used to be a regular contributor here, but haven't seen much from him in a couple of years now. Always some insightful input on the scene too.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2016 7:53 am    

Pete is also the co curator of the Nashville Cats exhibit at the Country Music Hall of Fame and it is outstanding!

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2016 5:06 am    

Great player,Nice Guy!! Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2016 5:19 am    

I've had so little opportunity to hear Pete's playing. The few times I have listened to him (televised Opry, years ago, and some youtubes) my first impression was that not only was he solid, he also was playing things that were outside of the narrow box. Not 'out there', just distinctly different. And totally musical.

Eric Henry

Corvallis, OR
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2016 12:58 pm    

Finally saw Robbie Fulks live for the first time a week or two ago up the road in Portland. Fantastic show. I can't think of a better "triple threat" musician.

Great new songs, clever writing, hot (and varied) picking, and he's a fine singer too.

The show we caught had Shad Cobb on fiddle and Todd Phillips on bass.

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2016 8:21 am    

TUNE-IN ALERT: Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum featured on C-SPAN 3’s “American History TV”

This Sunday, June 19, C-SPAN 3 will air their latest episode of American History TV, featuring interviews with Museum Editors Peter Cooper and Michael Gray and Dylan, Cash co-curator Pete Finney.
Cooper will discuss origins of country music, how country music "made Nashville – Nashville," and how the industry grew up from its folk music roots. Co-Curators Gray and Finney talk about the relationship between 1960s folk music icon Bob Dylan and county music star Johnny Cash. The exhibit talks about the political clash between the two music genres and how, with the help of Nashville's talented musicians, known as the Nashville Cats, the music helped bridge political differences. Each segment will incorporate interviews in the museum galleries as well as archival footage supplied by our friends in the archival department.
Following the initial broadcast, the episode will be available on their website: http://www.c-span.org/video/?411182-1/american-history-tv-nashville-tennessee

WHAT: C-SPAN 3’s American History TV

WHEN: Sunday, June 19
1:32 p.m. CT – The History of Country Music (18 minute segment)
2:43 p.m. CT – Dylan, Cash, and the Nashville Cats (11 minute segment)

WHERE: C-SPAN 3 (Nashville Comcast channel 105 and Nashville AT&T U-Verse channel 232)

WHO: Peter Cooper: Sing me Back Home || Michael Gray and Pete Finney: Dylan, Cash, and the Nashville Cats

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2016 6:00 am    

I had the pleasure of meeting and seeing Pete play in East Nashville with Chris Scruggs. ( Stringmaster in A6 and C6). Then I opened for Robbie in Troy NY a few weeks later. Pete was in the band there and was great.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Mike Medlock

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2016 1:11 pm     Pete and Lee Ann Womack

Saw Pete with Lee Ann Womack this past Saturday. He was absolutely knocked-out!! Super sneaky with those harmonics and the perfect mix with the band. Great guy, I talked to him after the show and he has very friendly and gave me some tips on the steel. Playing a GFI, and sounded great. Steel-on Pete.

Geoff Queen

Austin Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2016 8:00 pm    

Add me to the Pete fan club! Great guy, great player. I saw a youtube once that probably sold a lot of GFI's. Very Happy