The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Win updates
Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2016 6:57 am    

I have not been able to update Win since about 4/25. My computer shows me how many updates are available but they won't download, at least in a reasonable time. I tried this morning to install a small one(about 70 kb) and it tried for about 10 min with no luck. I then decided to look for more updates since these that show up have been here since April. After letting it look for about 5 min it told me the update search was unresponsive. I have carried the computer to a repair shop and they found nothing wrong (I don't know what they did). Does anyone have any ideas? Is it possible the drivers need updating, if so, where do I go to get them? I am leary of websites I am not familiar with.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2016 10:54 am    

Read the results on this Google search page for [img=https://www.google.com/search?q=updates+are+available+but+they+won%27t+download&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#newwindow=1&q=Windows+updates+are+available+but+they+won%27t+download]Windows updates are available but they won't download[/img].

I couldn't be more specific because you didn't tell us what operating system you are running on the computer in question. I'm confident it will be covered in the search results.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2016 11:09 am    

I am running Win 7

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2016 11:52 am     Re: Win updates

Harold Dye wrote:
Does anyone have any ideas? Is it possible the drivers need updating, if so, where do I go to get them? I am leary of websites I am not familiar with.

I'm not an authority, but it's my understanding that drivers are the conduits through which your PC communicates with your hardware devices, so that wouldn't have any influence on the Windows Update process.

Normally, one obtains driver updates from the website of the hardware vendor.

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2016 10:04 pm    

Harold:

Windows Update is not in good shape, but it is particularly slow immediately following the second Tuesday of each month, which is "Patch Tuesday"--when Microsoft releases it's monthly payload of updates. So, the June 14/15/16 era is not likely to be speedy.

You shouldn't expect much of anything to happen in 5 or 10 minutes, at least recently. Patch Tuesday or not.

It might help if you turn off "sleep" mode if you currently have that enabled.

Update KB3138612 is said to improve update speed for some users. Do you have that installed yet? If not, you might try to get it specifically and see if that speeds up the process of getting others.

I'd pick out a group of 10 or 20 updates that you think you need and let it run overnight. That might be enough time.

I got about 120 updates for a new install I did a few weeks ago. I divided them up into groups of about 20. It took anywhere from an hour to 3 or 4 hours for each group---considerably longer than it would have taken a year ago.

Some folks think the slowness is deliberate--an attempt by Microsoft to get you to give up on your current Windows and move to Windows 10.

Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2016 2:13 pm    

Well now I am at a total loss. I decided to start a download and just leave it as long as necessary to see if it would download. Now that I think about it, the trouble seems to have started about the time I discovered Win 10 had sneaked in without a warning in the critical update section and I didn't notice the KB number until I had downloaded it back in April. It seems now that about the time I uninstalled it the trouble started...maybe not but it seems that way. About April 26 I had notice of 12 critical updates and 6 non critical. I started then trying to update with no luck. About 2 wks ago that number dropped to 6. Today I decided to start a download and just leave it as long as it would take just to see if that would work. I chose 2 of the smallest size critical ones and after about 2 1/2 hours it told me it was installed. However it did not require me to restart the computer. It always has on critical updates. I restarted the computer and still no indication although when I went to installed I found those two there. The remaining updates disappeared and I started a update scan and I let it run for about 20 min with no luck.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2016 2:25 pm    

There are many posts about slow downloads from Microsoft, both in Win 7 and Win 8 forums.

I don't think uninstalling or not installing the KB for Win 10 update is the issue. I got a PC to upgrade from a client. It had the original Win 8 (not Win 8.1) installed but had never had any updates. The client wanted Win 10 but it had to first be upgraded to Win 8.1 as there is no free path from Win 8 to Win 10. It had over 100 updates that were required before I could upgrade it to Win 8.1. I tried installing all the updates at one time and it failed downloading all the updates (after a long wait). I had to install about 15 updates at a time and it took quite a long time just to do that. Upgrading to 8.1 took a long time too. I tried the "Get Windows 10" (GWX) to upgrade to Win 10 but finally had to use the Media Creation Tool to download and install Win 10. At least it was a happy outcome for the client, they are happy with Win 10.