The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  totally stumped on older msa sidekick
roger reed

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2016 11:32 am    

first off hello everyone I am totally new to e9th and 10 string in general. I played a 6 string multikord for about a year 20 or so years ago.
now the problem. recently purchased a msa sidekick s10 3-1 . the previous owner knew even less
than me about steel I guess because the pedals were completely out of adjustment. I managed to follow the original manual and get the pedals adjusted at least they all do what they are supposed to the problem is the knee lever dosent work.it supposed to lower four and 8 a 1/2 tone. it does lower 8 but nothing I have tried lowers 4. I took some slack out of the catches that cause the rod to pull the tuning changers and it worked till I re adjusted the b and c pedals again.
I tried adding pedal travel to p3 seeing if that had the rod locked down. I gave it so much travel it broke #4 string but still didn't move when I pulled the knee lever. I tried moving in the adjustment screw behind the bridge and retune and adjust from there and again no avail. when i got it the string did lower BUT when i fashioned a lever to put on it {it dosent have one yet } the lever was WAYYY out of the proper position but by the time i got the pedals working it seems to be in the proper position now. I have tried everything i leave it in the hands of your most capable gurus . thanks in advance im sure you will get it set right for me.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2016 2:29 pm    

Pretty hard to tell what you have going on with just the closeup pictures, one that is zoomed out a little more would help.

It appears you may have the set collar on the raise set too tight. Try giving it some slack and increasing the pedal travel accordingly to compensate.

Raising and lowering the same string on a pull release requires extra slack on the raise and a spring somewhere in the system to set the open note and oppose the string tension. There are different ways to do this. The stop screw in the end plate would tune the lowest note for that string. Is there some sort of spring stop mechanism on that rod or the lever?

roger reed

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2016 2:38 pm    

yes after 5 is tuned you tune raised 4 using the tuning peg then release the pedal and tune the open pitch of four using the knee lever stop screw.
so put slack in 4 or 5 or both ? but it was when I removed some slack that it worked until I re adjusted the raised again.

roger reed

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2016 3:46 pm    

ok I got it I had to move both of those barrels back then I had to pull the knee lever travel screw as well he had it adjusted way to close for operation.anyway a great big thanks for the help you gave me and taking the time to help a noob I do appreciate it.

Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2016 6:35 am    

I knew you'd find help on here Roger. The next thing as I mentioned,
would be to look for another knee lever to raise the 4th & 8th strings.
These are the 2 knee levers you'll need more than any other ones.