The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  V lever on my fessenden
Roy Dick

Tahlequah okla. USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2016 12:51 pm    

love my fessie love my V lever but find it awkward to use my V lever. My foot has to come off the floor. Any ideas for an extension that would lower it a couple of inches?
Fessenden SD10, Peavy Nashville 112, Fender Fat Strat, Crate glx 212, Crate GLX 65, Peavy foundation bass, Epiphone flat top Taylor flat top Epiphone Led Paul Epiphone Shreraton Hilton and Goodrich pedals one understanding wife

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2016 1:08 pm    

Vertical knee levers are inherently awkward to use, in my experience. I frequently find myself raising my foot off the floor to use them. Over time you will get used to doing so. Having to raise your foot is not necessarily a sign that the knee lever needs to be modified, moved, or adjusted.

Having said that, the position of knee levers is fairly critical to playing your best. You may be able to adjust the knee lever to lower it so it's more comfortable. I'm not familiar with Fessenden steels so maybe someone else can help with specifics for your steel.

I like my vertical levers to be just slightly above my knee so the motion to engage the lever is as short as possible. I also like the lever to be as far out on the leg so they strike as close to the knee as possible.

What works for you will be unique and may not be what works for others, including me. Good luck.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2016 1:32 pm    

Most vertical lever systems can adjust the angle at which the lever departs from the part that attaches to the bellcrank.
I also bet that, if you know how much lower you want the lever (how far from the cross-shafts), Jerry could make that bit (I'll call it "arm" for lack of a better word) longer, so the whole lever would be closer to the floor.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2016 1:42 pm    

If you fold back the lever it will reveal a tiny set screw embedded in the bracket. Unscrewing it extends the vert lever down closer to your leg. Unfortunately it increases the angle of the lever too. I have fabricated a sleeve that is more level/horizontal. The vert lever is important to me and I want it a fraction of an inch above my knee when I'm on the AB pedals. But if I'm off the pedals, I still have to lift the whole leg.

Roy Dick

Tahlequah okla. USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2016 6:20 pm     v lever

thanks for the replies. Forum members always come through. looked for a set screw under the lever but found none on this particular steel. I think as someone suggested I will measure how low I need it and talk to Jerry about a longer rod that is connected to the cross shaft or an extension that would attach to the existing lever that would hang approximately two inches below the existing. As suggested want it about an inch above my knee. Thanks again everybody.
Fessenden SD10, Peavy Nashville 112, Fender Fat Strat, Crate glx 212, Crate GLX 65, Peavy foundation bass, Epiphone flat top Taylor flat top Epiphone Led Paul Epiphone Shreraton Hilton and Goodrich pedals one understanding wife

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2016 6:47 pm    

The vertical is easier to use if you have the B pedal down, and have some leverage against it.

This is one of the reasons I say it should raise the 2 F# strings to G, and the B to Bb lower should be on a regular knee lever.

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2016 7:26 pm    

Watch Tommy White use it. He's smooth.

Tony

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2016 3:34 am    

The vertical levers on Carter guitars were bent in such a way that the lever itself hung lower and was parallel to your leg while playing (for illustration, view the undercarriage photos of the Carter guitars featured in the for sale section), cannot understand why other builders did not follow suit.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2016 4:29 am    

Mullen is the only maker I know of that makes an extension stem that hangs the lever lower but then folds up on itself (double jointed, as it were) for
stowing. It is simple and brilliant and, unfortunately, it does not fit the Fess.

http://www.mullenguitars.com/Vertical%20Knee%20Lever%20Extender.htm#.V11VyNcyerw

Just in case you were looking in the wrong place, Roy, here is the adjustable set screw:

This is what I did to achieve a lower hang PLUS a more level position. Some day I will refine it because I hate stuff that looks hacked but it is effective and will do, for now.

I made a short lever & I adjusted it to an extreme angle.

I fabricated a slip-on from some scrap teak.

It feels good on the leg.