The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal Steels no longer being made
Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2015 4:48 am    

Mike Wilson wrote:
I spoke to a person in the know a couple days ago and he stated that Emmons moved to another location. A smaller building. Emmons guitars is still alive. That is all I know.

I have most likely spoken to the same person. He said they were waiting for some electrical work to be completed in the "new" location.
I'll post if I can get anything out of them.

* everyone probably knows, but your best bet is using an Emmons dealer. Lynn stafford, Billy Knowles, Jerry Roller, and Mike Cass have all been tremendously helpful to me.

Gary Cosden

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2015 5:08 am    

Just to point out that while Performance did go out of business Russler bought all their stock and since they are very much an evolution of the original Performance design you could make the case that in a limited sense Performance is still kicking so to speak. I have some Russler parts on my Performance guitar and they are very nicely made.

Last edited by Gary Cosden on 21 Sep 2015 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lem Smith

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2015 6:18 am    

Another one I thought of is the Little Buddy.

Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2015 5:19 am    

Brett....did you ever meet Shot-Jackson? I met him at one of my Gigs in London U.K. Also with him was Dobro player "Bashfull Brother Oswold" Shot was a gent to talk to, which partly was the reason I got my Sho-Bud S-12 in 1970...It was an Extended E9th, but was converted to a Universal (of sorts) in 1981. I don't know if you saw the burnt and restored version of that 'Bud after a fire....It was on the Forum. If you want to see pic's just mail me your e'mail address...take care

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K. Very Happy

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2015 8:59 am    

Micky Byrne wrote:
Brett....did you ever meet Shot-Jackson? I met him at one of my Gigs in London U.K. Also with him was Dobro player "Bashfull Brother Oswold" Shot was a gent to talk to, which partly was the reason I got my Sho-Bud S-12 in 1970...It was an Extended E9th, but was converted to a Universal (of sorts) in 1981. I don't know if you saw the burnt and restored version of that 'Bud after a fire....It was on the Forum. If you want to see pic's just mail me your e'mail address...take care

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K. Very Happy

I haven't met Shot, but I've met his sons David and Harry-they built my Jackson Steel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2015 3:18 pm    

Gary Cosden wrote:
Just to point out that while Performance did go out of business Russler bought all their stock and since they are very much an evolution of the original Performance design you could make the case that in a limited sense Performance is still kicking so to speak. I have some Russler parts on my Performance guitar and they are very nicely made.

The Performance guitar was top notch stuff. Russler's website is no more though. I don't do "Facebook" ......

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2015 5:43 pm    

Hey Gary Cosden, I assume you are still burning the strings off that beautiful Performance SD-10. What a great guitar, very well designed and built. J.R.

Frank Markow

Dallas, TX
Post  Posted 23 May 2016 11:45 am     Rains Guitars

Charlie McDonald wrote:
This might be a good place to ask if anyone knows how to get in touch with Rains. I'm needing Carpsteel parts and they seem in short supply,
since they're no longer being manufactured.

Anyone?

Charlie,

Not sure if you still need this ....

I believe Rains is in Valley View TX, north of Denton. Monty Montgomery, a forum member, has the current owners cell #. Try to PM Monty for it.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 23 May 2016 11:54 am    

Thank you, Frank. I do have a number for Curtis Hogue.
Appreciate the thought.

Kyle Bennett

Dallas, TX USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2016 4:27 pm    

MSA is building pedal steels (Legends and Studio Pros) everyday. Get your facts straight before posting!

Mike Farmer

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2016 7:54 pm     Steels no longer being made

Ren-Kizer was made in Fort Wayne Indiana.
I have no idea how many were made. I worked there in 77-78, not many were made after I started. The owner died and so did the company...

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 3 Jun 2016 8:54 am    

Wonder why I've never seen a Brochure on "Building PSG" as a career choice.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2016 3:42 pm    

Gary!
"you could make the case that in a limited sense Performance is still kicking so to speak."

I am so happy to hear that! I assembled the last dozen or so guitars for my good friend Jerry, RIP buddy. He wasn't making a lot of money, and a well-known big dealer screwed him! He and I both believed in "straight pull" mechanics, and I used to drive him crazy using my machinist Grandfather's measuring tools to make everything perfectly straight. But he was happy with the results. His reverser design was the best I've ever seen. A really amazing design! The first time I saw it, all I could think was, "This is too cool!."
Performance guitars are right at the top! And will gain more and more appreciation as time goes by. Sad story. He had shut down, and one day I went down to pick up my tools. I knew by the way he looked, and the ferocious hug he gave me, that his time was short. Got a tear in my eye right now,,,,,,,,,
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2016 9:39 pm    

FWIW the On-Trak IS presently being made!!! Please take the name out of the obituary column.
PRR

Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2016 1:16 am    

Re the "Sheffield" steel.....Dave Wheelhouse here in U.K. makes about the prettiest eye candy steels out there. But also the mechanics are second to none...like using "bearings" on certain parts. Very Happy

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.