The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Acronis Question
Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2016 3:47 pm    

Can you image a hard drive without having to include the operating system? I have an older Vista system and I am thinking of going to a new system probably windows 10. I would like to save my files email, pics etc without the OS. Is it possbile?

TIA

Tom Keller

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2016 4:15 pm     Re: Acronis Question

Tom Keller wrote:
Can you image a hard drive without having to include the operating system? I have an older Vista system and I am thinking of going to a new system probably windows 10. I would like to save my files email, pics etc without the OS. Is it possbile?

I don't use Acronis, but imaging applications generally are on a partition by partition basis--all or none of a partition. I've heard that some advanced imaging programs have a feature that allows you to pick and choose, but I'd be wary of them unless you've done considerable investigation.

If you image C, EVERYTHING on C will be included, including Windows, installed applications, email and pix--if they are on C or whatever partition you are imaging.

You could image C including Vista, pix, and email and later fish out just your email and your files from the image file, after you upgrade.

I assume you realize that the image file can't be stored on the partition that you image. It's typically stored on an external, if you don't have a second internal drive.

But imaging is not the best tool to back up personal data at any rate. It's a complication that you don't need, although it will work if it works as expected, which is hardly a certainty.

You're better off doing a garden variety drag and drop of the pertinent folders to some other drive--most likely the very same drive you'd use to store the image file on if you used Acronis.

Having said all of that-----you ought to make an image of Vista and everything on C anyway.

Why? Because if you don't like 10 and want to go back to Vista, you would otherwise be faced with reinstalling Vista and all applications from scratch or relying on Windows 10 "rollback" feature. The first choice is a major pain. The second choice is available only for 30 days after you upgrade to 10 and is known to fail at times anyway--it's less reliable than imaging.

You need to be sure that the image file includes whatever partition contains your boot files. Maybe that's C. Maybe not.

Lastly--if you want to try Win 10, you are likely to have less trouble if you do a clean install rather than an upgrade install--even though you'd have to reinstall your applications.

Really lastly: if you have not previously gone through the restoration process with Acronis, I'd urge you to practice somehow. You need to know how it works, if it works, the menu choices, etc rather than wonder how it works when you are actually under the gun and need it.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2016 7:15 pm    

Tom, and others pondering moving up from older operating systems to Windows 10;

I just learned that Microsoft has partnered with Laplink, a major player in the file transfer business, to provide their PCmover Express program to individual users for free.

Here is a quote from the above linked landing page:
Quote:

PCmover Express is the fast and easy way to move all your files, settings, and user profiles to your new PC. Just download the software to both PCs and follow the simple wizard. If you need assistance, our certified migration experts are ready to help 24/7, for FREE.

*Personal Use edition is FREE for non-commercial use. All other usage requires a paid license. Destination PC must be running Windows 8.1 or 10. Download a copy of the user guide.

I strongly recommend that anybody planning to use this method should download and print out the PDF document detailing the complete sequence of actions needed to perform the transfer.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Last edited by Wiz Feinberg on 1 Jun 2016 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2016 7:52 pm    

Here are more details about the Laplink PCmover Express deal:
Quote:

From now until August 31, 2016, Microsoft will offer the software for non-commercial PC users to help them transfer files from an old PC to Windows 10 (it will also work for moving files to a new Windows 8.1 PC as well). It will not allow for transfers of full applications.

This means that your user account profile documents, and their associated data files and desktop settings will be transferred, but your actual programs will need to be reinstalled from scratch. It is much like what I recently did when I performed a Windows 10 Reset, fixing dozens of issues.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2016 7:26 am    

Wiz Feinberg wrote:
Here are more details about the Laplink PCmover Express deal:
Quote:

From now until August 31, 2016, Microsoft will offer the software for non-commercial PC users to help them transfer files from an old PC to Windows 10

MS really IS desperate to get everyone on Win10, aren't they?

I'm confused on the point about "non-commercial PC users". How does MS know? Let's say there's a Vista machine being used in "Mom and Pop's Duck Hunter's Decoys" store, and Mom and Pop decide they want to use this software to migrate to Win10 prior to the cut-off date.

Isn't this a "commercial PC"? If Pop just identifies himself by name and home address, how does MS know this will be "commercial use", in order to block their free use of this software?

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2016 8:51 am    

[quote="Dave Potter"]
Wiz Feinberg wrote:

I'm confused on the point about "non-commercial PC users". How does MS know?

Laplink is the one setting the personal use restriction, not Microsoft. They have the following definition that Microsoft has posted on their behalf.
Quote:

This free offer is for personal non-commercial use and does not support domain-joined PCs.

People working in companies with a Windows or Linux file server are the primary example of domain joined computers. The individual computers are called Workstations. They get their IP address and login privileges from the file server. These companies must purchase software licenses "by the seat." PCmover is never free for these Workstation computers that are part of a named domain.

If you have decided to setup a home domain system and your personal computers are defacto Workstations, joined to the named domain, PCmover is not free and will demand a license to proceed. It ids the computer and whether it qualifies as personal use before running.

Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2016 7:21 pm    

Thanks Wiz, I used Laplink years and years ago. This sounds like a pretty good deal.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2016 12:22 pm     Re: Acronis Question

Tom Keller wrote:

TIA

Tom Keller

I forgot to answer your question regarding using Acronis for file and settings transfers. I will now.

Acronis True Image can save backup files that are highly compressed of any files, folders and drives that you want, assuming the destination location is larger than the backup files. I use Acronis every day to backup folders I work with, plus the entire C drive. I have it save a full backup the first time, then make incrementals about 6 times. When the 7th backup begins it creates a new full backup and deletes the previous incrementals. That's how I like to do it.

You have to browse to your source files, then browse to the destination. You can create new folders to save to and name the backup as you wish. From then on the incremental backups append information about the number and series of each incremental and subsequent full backup. There are lots of options.

I have my own affiliate page explaining Acronis True Image and links to discounts, if any are active.