The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Changing A pickup
Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2016 1:57 pm    

I am about to swap out the humbucker in my G2 for a Mullen Single coi(18.5)l. I never did this operation before so I would like a heads up. Is there anything I should be careful of ? Does it matter which way the pickup goes (are all the pole pieces the same?) Thanks guys
Jeff

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 26 May 2016 3:41 pm    

Not certain how the height adjustment functions on a 'G2', but pay close attention to how the existing pickup is mounted when removing it (you will need to unsolder the wires from the jack before removal begins, but you knew that, right?)! Be very cautious that you don't lose any small parts in the process such as springs or screws that may be present, (due to the strength of the magnet,they have a tendency to cling to the underside of the pickup). You will notice at that time on which side of the pickup cavity the hole for the wires is drilled and the new pickup will need to be installed with the wires located on that end. My method is to feed the wires through the hole and holding the pickup directly above the cavity, gently pull the wires from underneath as you lower the pickup into place. (This method may help avoid trapping and pinching them.) After pickup is secured into place, be cautious also when routing the wire to the input jack to make certain that it doesn't interfere with the operation of any moving parts. Finally, after soldering the wires to the jack, plug the jack into your amp and gently tap on the posts to determine that the pickup is functioning properly before restringing the guitar...FWIW: I try to avoid trimming the wires shorter if at all possible due to the fact that it will make the pickup easier to sell with standard length wires should you decide to replace it at a later date. I normally coil the excess and secure it into place somewhere near the endplate...Hope that this helps and best of luck.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2016 4:28 pm    

Swapping to a single coil; make sure you ground the pickup to the strings somehow. easy way is just run a extra wire from the ground part of input to a screw that somehow eventually touches the fingers.

Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2016 3:28 am    

Thanks guys
I'm more than confident in doing the operation just always run into unforeseen events on projects like this. Great advice

dlayne

OH
Post  Posted 28 May 2016 4:36 am     Pickup

Ricky Davis wrote:
Swapping to a single coil; make sure you ground the pickup to the strings somehow. easy way is just run a extra wire from the ground part of input to a screw that somehow eventually touches the fingers.

Ricky I had never heard that before,,I run single coils on my D10 Emmons ,just might give it a try,,how does it help with florescent lighting?

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 28 May 2016 6:36 am    

It won't. But it will help with spurious and static, and that buzzing you might get if you either touch the strings or stop touching the strings.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 28 May 2016 6:50 am    

Also, you don't need to remove the strings.
Just loosen them enough to get a piece of cloth and a can/jar/bottle under the strings. That will give you enough clearance

Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2016 8:28 am    

All true.
I almost took off the strings but caught myself. Well the guitar went under the knife last night and sounds great. I didn't run a ground to a screw and Its not buzzing or behaving badly. I did have trouble with attaching the leads backwards. It would work until I screwed the jack to the end plate. It would ground out or something and Wouldn't make a sound. I swapped the leads and voila! It works fine.
Routing the wire the way mullen had it took some doing. especially since I did the swap while the guitar was set up. She's all done Though. Thanks guys

dlayne

OH
Post  Posted 28 May 2016 8:37 am     Pickup

Thanks Lane, I'm not having any trouble other than florecent lighting in some places.