The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Marlen D-10
Dennis N Brown

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2016 11:10 pm    

hi lane couldn't sleep I am a night owl by nature when I bought the guitar it came from a musicstore in fredrickburg va they had a man come in and tune it so I received it in tune I feelcertain the person tuning it was familiar with release pull so I am not going to touch any of the stops that are set with turning the collors with set screws underneath allmy guitat has is tuning keys and the spring loaded screws just behind I don't see anything else here are the pedal and knee lever positions on e 9 and c6 scales e 9 first string 1 kl4, 2 p2 kl 1 3 p2 4 p3 l2 5 p1 p2 p3 6p2 7 open 8kl 2 kl 3 9 open 10 p1 c 6 1 p5 2 p6 3 p7 4 p4 p7 5 p5 6 p6 7 p8 8 open 9p5 p8 10 p5 that iswhat I see when iwork allpedals and knees so it seems I have to do all tuning with the keys and the screws in the pickup bridge and have to depress the pedals and knees per your instructions right I stilldont completely understand how string 4 on e9 works you are right being a 6 string player is causing metonot grasp the principalyet yours dennis

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 24 May 2016 4:10 am    

Alright, I'll start with something simpler, like the 5th string.
The first pedal should raise it from B to C#.
Tune the C# at the keyhead, tune the B with those screws.
I'm not following your description.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 24 May 2016 4:15 am    

Yep. Some punctuation and paragraphs would make the description easier to read.
In a technical question, it's not about style, it's about readability.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 24 May 2016 4:52 am    

I'll assume you have fairly normal 3 and 4 setup from that time. Highest notes tune at the keyhead, lowest note tunes on the screws. If a string both raises and lowers (I can just about guarantee some strings do), the open note tunes either in the window (if it has one) or underneath.
String 1 will probably have a raise. Tune the keyhead with the raise activated, to G. Release the lever, tune the F# with the screws at the endplate.
String 2: tune the open string with the keyhead, tune the lower with the screws.
String 3: tune the A at the keyhead with P2 down, and the G# with the screws.
String 4: tune the F# of the C pedal at the keyhead. Then release the pedal and engage the knee lever that lowers it (I bet it does have one), and tune the D# with the screws the E will tune in the window (if you have a window), or somewhere underneath (trust me and Ned. It's how they work).
String 5: tune the C# with P1 at the keyhead. Release the pedal, tune the B with those screws.
String 6: tune the A with the B pedal down at the keyhead. If you have a lever that lowers it, tune F# with the screws while the lever is engaged, and tune the open G# either in the window or underneath.
String 7: if you have a lever that raises it, activate the lever, tune it to G at the keyhead. Release the lever, tune the F# with the screws.
String 8: you probably raise it with a lever. Activate that lever, tune the F at the keyhead. Release that lever, engage the lever that lowers it, tune the D# with the screws. Release that lever and tune the open E either in the window or underneath.
String 9: tune it at the keyhead. If you lower it, tune the C# with the screws.
String 10: activate the A pedal, tune the C# at the keyhead. Release the pedal, tune the B with those screws.

Again, in Cliff's Notes form: the highest note of a string tunes at the keyhead. ALWAYS. The lowest note tunes with the screws. If a string both raises and lowers, the open note will tune in the window (if your guitar has one) or somewhere underneath.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 24 May 2016 5:05 am    

Dennis, look at this thread here: http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=173610

Dennis N Brown

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2016 11:31 am    

hey Charlie thanks for your comment I wii definitely try to post in a readable style but English was my best subject but I will do the best I can a lot of my spelling is due to the computer jumping around yours dennis

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 24 May 2016 11:37 am    

If you write in Faulkner style sentences, we'll still try to help. But the clearer the question, the better the answers.
For now, just remember that the highest note tunes at the keyhead

Dennis N Brown

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2016 11:40 am    

hi lane after looking for umpteenth time the only thing I had missed is a brass hex rod with a screw driver slot in string 4 e 9 neck yes I dohave 2 windows but the only thing that I see tobe tuned is the brass slotted rod on string and yes knee 2 works string four all other movement is like I set earlier on both necks I amlimited to tuning keys and the spring loaded screws go up a few comments and lookat ned s guitar my spring loaded screws are exactly like his right behind the bridge and are in plain sight just talked tomy computer tech he is covered up but I willget you all picsas soon asi can dennis

Dennis N Brown

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2016 11:43 am    

hey that is jerry van hoose s guitar that looks like mine not neds shucks I should of stayed in bed today dennis

Dennis N Brown

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2016 11:50 am    

lane imust admit I amnot the most patient of people if worse comes to worse if you are willing and want the guitar I will ship it to you and you can make monthly payments nothing down just a agreed upon amount beause I dohave to make the credit card pmts that's is how I bought I am a trader and do that quite often be thinking on that soifigive upand throw in the towel mr grey you willhave first shot at it dennis

Tim Johnson

Cadiz, KY, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2016 12:06 pm     marlen

Hey Dennis, I am interested in the marlen if Lane is not. I would like to see some pics tho. Thanks, Tim Johnson
Im not interested in the monthly plan tho. Let me know.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 24 May 2016 12:34 pm    

I am not in the market for another guitar.

Dennis N Brown

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2016 1:08 pm    

hello tim,,, lane posted right after you that he was not interesred.. I have pics on my digital camera but I am too computer dumb to get themon the computer and post them italked to my computer tech today he is very busy and will probably be Thursday before he can get to me. fromwhat I have learned the marlen is a really good instrument I do have a carter starter 3 pedal 4knee that does everything in e 9 that the marlen does I got the marlen for the c 6 tuning the music I play is better played on the c6 neck I am still working but if I give up with mr grey not interested you willnow have the first opportunity I just need something not as complicated to tune I ama beginning steeler even though iam accomplished musician andplay 4 instruments and sing it is giving me fits heckif you cant tune them youncant play them I willkeepyou posted my e main address is dennis48brown@yahoo.com and wecan talkin private dennis n brown atrue son of the south we cant be very far apart I ami Pocahontas on us 67 in the north east corner of Arkansas I looked on my old truck diving road atlas weare only 3 to 4 hours apart yours dennis

Tim Johnson

Cadiz, KY, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2016 1:22 pm     marlen

Ok Dennis, I am very familar with the marlens as I have two already, one pull release and one all pull.
Keep me informed and contact me thru my email
timjohnson1970@hotmail.com

Tim Johnson

Cadiz, KY, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2016 1:26 pm     marlen

Ok Dennis, I am very familar with the marlens as I have two already, one pull release and one all pull.
Keep me informed and contact me thru my email
timjohnson1970@hotmail.com

Dennis N Brown

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2016 5:03 pm    

hi lane I have had another forummember express interest and since you declined he willnow have 1 st orpportunity but you have helped me somuch ifelt you should have 1st cchnce if you were interested I am definitely NOT going to touch underneath except the brass screwdriver sotted screw on the 4 thstring I will use the keys and springloaded screws I will follow your instructions even though I do not completely understand why it tookme the longest to lern to tune the carter and it is simpler than the marlen so I am just alittle gunshy and afraid ofmessing up if ican learn totune the marlen iamconvinced by all youfellows that are excellent guitars and willkeepit if I cant I will moveit and gget something easier to tune I amnot 0g0iving up yet heckand we stillgot c 6 tuning todeal with but if a person cant tune I willnever learn to play it correctly this steelguitarbusiness is turning out to be complicated oh wellnothing worth never comes easy stillhanging in there dennis

Dennis N Brown

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2016 6:52 am     pics

gentlemen here are the pics I promised please look at them and tell mewhat you see as to push release and also aestimate as to age and anyother pertant info thanks dennis n brown

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/userpix1504/16118_SAM_0114_2.jpg[/img]

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 28 May 2016 6:58 am    

Definitely pull-release¹. Missing a few parts, but not many.
I can't quite see what all the levers are doing.
Quite a nice guitar, the handles indicate it's from the 60s.

¹ It's called pull-release because it pulls the fingers to raise them, and releases the fingers to lower them.

Dennis N Brown

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2016 7:03 am     pics

here are more pics

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 28 May 2016 7:06 am    

Beautiful.

Dennis N Brown

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2016 7:49 am    

hi lane ifyou will look just to the side of the eagle inlay ther are 3 holes there was a translucent plastic piece there it was some sort of music stand holder I dohave the piece which was there as to missing parts I willtakeyour word but the guitar is playable all the electronics work and all pedals andknees work it hasent taken me long to figure out that all you experienced steelerslove to tinker which makes it hard for us newbies to tell much about it thanks for replying sowhat do I need to do have missing partsidentified and replaced or what dennis

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 May 2016 8:34 am    

my brain hurts.

nice stickers.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 28 May 2016 8:36 am    

Here's what I'd recommend.
Tune it. Figure out what the knee levers are doing.
The pics don't really show their operation very well.
It looks like it lowers the Es, and lowers 2. Beyond that, I can't tell.

Dennis N Brown

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2016 7:45 pm    

hello gentleman I had a vey nice talk today with forum member Edward rhea who was kind enough toe mail me and give his phone number with a invitation to call and talksteels we were to establish the year my seelwas made according to eds chart my serialnumber saysthe guitar was madein 1970 we talked about many things he was especially helpful because he also plays a d 10marlen a 69 model thank you somuch Edward it is dueto allthe nice folks on the forum whoar ewilling tohelpme ti am slowlynbut surely making progress just want to say a big THANKYOU toallthe nice people outthere it is surely appreciated hey now keepthat advice rolling in and I willprocess and apply it as soomasmy peabrain darn computer is not taking llmy spaces ait should oh wellanother to my computer tech is in order iguss just want to give a humble and hearfelt thankto every one yours dnnis n brown pocahonsark a true son of the south

Dennis N Brown

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2016 7:52 pm    

hey you all it seems I may have few missing partsinmy marlen mr johnny cox in brnson mo does workon them I have seen his adson the forum and as usual icant find it now tell me how I can contact mr cox please he is the closest to me that I can find some contct info will be appreciated dennis