The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fixing up a Rickenbacher Bakelite
Loren Tilley

Maui, Hawaii
Post  Posted 20 May 2016 1:40 pm    

I just got a bakelite rick that I'm hoping maybe somebody can help me out with. The signal from the pickup on 5 of the 6 strings is good and strong, but the 4th string (counting up from high-pitch to low) makes a loud crackling noise whenever it is played. Anybody have any hints? or is this something that a pickup guru needs to take a look at? Also, the pickup itself is a little rusty--any suggestions for at least inhibiting that from getting worse, or, even better, getting rid of the rust without getting overly nuts?

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 20 May 2016 3:34 pm    

I'm no pickup expert so I won't comment on the 4th string issue, but on the plating, something I've used successfully on motorcycle chrome is to take a wadded up piece of aluminum foil and get it wet--clean the surface of the plating with the wet aluminum foil and most of the corroded/rusty stuff will disappear. I don't have a clue why it works, but at least on bikes it can be pretty impressive.

I just got a new wartime Bakelite myself. I've had several bakelites in the past, but this one has "it." Big fun!

Dave

Russ Blake

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2016 5:48 pm    

Look closely at the pickup and see if there is anything between the pole piece and that string. I've seen tiny pieces of steel wool or the end of a string get in there and cause a problem similar to what you are describing. Hope that helps.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2016 7:45 am    

For shining up the pickup, I recommend Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish.

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2016 8:49 am    

Check your PM ... Mr. Green

Loren Tilley

Maui, Hawaii
Post  Posted 21 May 2016 12:21 pm    

Thanks guys, I polished up the pickup with mothers mag, it looks a little better. I may try the aluminum foil idea too. As for the pickup, Rick (thanks) suggested if it's a single string it probably isn't the pickup, so I put some new strings on, sprayed some deoxit on the jack and generally cleaned it up a bit and the sound stopped. Not sure what it was exactly, but as long as it stopped I'm happy. Sticky pots I may just replace, perhaps along with the input jack. But for now it is playable and now it sounds real nice.