The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Smartphone from Tracfone - Mind Blown!
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2016 2:42 pm    

I use a Straight Talk Samsung flip phone with a camera. I buy 300 minutes for $30.00, which is good for 60 days of service, so my cell phone is costing me $15.00 a month. No contract and they don't even know my name, only my phone number. You can set it up for automatic withdrawal from your bank account and maybe credit card, not sure, when you run out of minutes. Or, you can just buy a new card each month to get reloaded. You can do it on line or phone it in.

Straight Talk is owned by Tracphone and all their products are available at Walmart.

I have the Straight Talk Hot Spot which is about the size of a cell phone and gives me 4G WiFi, plus it is battery powered, so I can use it any place I like. I buy 2 GB of data which is good for 30 days for $25.00. 5 GB of data is $50.00 and 1 GB of data is $15.00 and both are also good for 30 days.

To complete things, I have a Straight Talk Home phone which is unlimited long distance, call waiting, caller ID, three way calling, etc, etc. All things that I don't need. It is a flat rate of $15.00 a month. You can also set it up for automatic payment when the 30 day expiration date comes due or just buy a refill card once a month. You can also get unlimited international calling for I believe, $25.00 for 30 days.

$15.00 a month for cell phone, $15.00 a month for home phone, and $12.50 a month for WiFi high speed internet service. NOT BAD, UH?

I have almost 300 days accumulated. I use minutes up faster than days. My girlfriend is just the opposite. Almost never uses minutes. She has about 6000 minutes built up.

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2016 10:19 pm    

I dropped my home phone land line service years back. All I ever receive was political, sales, surveys and hang up no message left. I put the dollars toward a family plan, eventually moving into iPhones for all of us including my 80 year old mother. She never wanted a computer, nothing to do with technology but now she doesn't stop texting, will send pictures dm regularly sends email to her relatives in OK. It was we'll worth dumping local service for $38.00/mo for what we get out of our smart phones. I don't need to fax etc from home any longer. As b0b pointed out, my calender, notes, OnSong and family's messaging etc all sync wether on ipad or iPhone.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 18 May 2016 7:45 am    

Kevin Mincke wrote:
I dropped my home phone land line service years back.

We did too. But it's not saving us any money, because we're in a semi-rural area where the only sensible option is to get our internet, TV, etc, from our local co-op. Service is good and pricing isn't bad, but to get the pricing, everything has to be "bundled", including land line phone. I've tried to drop that part from the "bundle", but I'm always told that if I did, pricing for internet and TV would go up higher in total than the "bundle" price with the phone service in there. I hate it, because the phone part is costing us over $500/yr, but it would cost more to drop it. We don't even have anything plugged into the phone jack. Mad