The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Is there a recorder that will do this?
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2016 3:28 pm    

Is their anything available in a mixer/recorder combination that will allow me to do this:

1. Plug my CD player into two channels.
2. Plug in my SM 57 mic to record my steel.
3. Play along with the tracks, recording everything.
4. Mix down the tracks and steel and save the result
to make a master.
5. Record the master either onto an onboard CD burner
or onto my Zoom H-2 hand held recorder. I would like
to record either in an MP-3 or WAV format.
6. The end result would be a master that I can use to
make a few CD's to sell at my local gigs.

Any other idea's on how I can accomplish this?

Thanks,

George

Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2016 4:45 pm    

George, I believe they've just stopped putting CD burners on standalone recorders. Most now have a removable SD card or connect to a computer via USB.

I think you can pretty much only burn CDs from a computer now. For now - they're going out of style.

I suspect there is a way to make either the Zoom R8 or Tascam DP-008EX do what you want. You might want to extract the audio from the CD and copy it up to the recorder first. So far as I can tell, they both can mix to an internal stereo track that can then be put into a folder on your PC to burn to CD later. Both appear to have USB, so you just plug it in and use a file explorer to copy files.

An alternative is to use Reaper and say, a Scarlett 2i2 or 2i4.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2016 5:31 pm     Is there a recorder that will do this?

Thanks, Les.

This may simplify things: I have a Soundcraft Folio Power pad. This is a 4 channel powered mixer with all the normal stuff that mixer's have including a headphone output. So forget about the mixer, I have that covered.

Any reason why this simple solution won't work:

1. Run the rhythm tracks and steel through the mixer
2. Record the tracks and steel off the mixer outputs
into a 4 channel recorder, maybe a Zoom H-4
3. Play back the recorded parts through the mixer
and do a mixdown, sending the final mix to a
two track recorder for a master. I already have
a Zoom H-2 that I could use for this. Or, maybe
I could just go from the mixer direct to the
computer for the master.

Thanks for any suggestions. Seems like what I have plus a 4 track recorder would get me going.

Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 16 May 2016 6:02 pm    

I don't think a Zoom R8 can record to an SD card.
But the Zoom R16 can.

I suppose you could take the outputs of a cd player and go into two channels on the R16 (watch your levels).

Then you'd be able to monitor what's coming from your cd as well your pedal steel.

Once recorded into the R16, you could connect the unit to your computer with the USB connection, transfer the tracks to your computer then burn a cd.

You could also back your tracks up on the SD card, then insert it into your computer and transfer tracks that way too.

I own an R16 and I think they're a great portable multi-track recorder.
8 XLR inputs and you can record up to 16 tracks for playback.
All in a unit about the size of a computer keyboard.
If you want, you can link two of them together to get a total of 16 XLR inputs and 32 tracks for playback.

If I'm not mistaken, you can also set up an R16 for 24 bit resolution too.

Rick

**The onboard mic's are pretty decent for quickly recording when inspiration strikes too.

Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 16 May 2016 6:08 pm    

Come to think of it:

It would probably be better if you can first transfer your cd to your computer, then transfer the data from your computer to two tracks on the R16 with either your USB connection or an SD card.
Then you could record your pedal steel track while listening to the cd that you transferred.

Rick

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2016 6:34 pm    

The Boss BR-900CD

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOSS-BR-900CD-Digital-Recording-Studio/222111720828

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boss-BR-900CD-Digital-Multi-Track-Recorder-/252383402619

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 17 May 2016 1:14 am    

just be certain that whatever you decide to buy can record at least 4 tracks at a time, better to have 8 for multiple takes.

Many of the recorders available are restricted to only recording TWO tracks at a time, even though they can be 4,8 or 16 track recorders.

Indeed the Zoom R16 can do what you are asking but it does record to an SD card, which I feel is an advantage. Let the PC do the CD burning from your recorded files on the SD card.

Side Note..CD technology is behind current day burner technology, make sure when you burn your CD's select a low burn speed or you may end up with a box full of CD's that you think are bad because the CD burner rejected them!

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 17 May 2016 12:20 pm    

I guess the easiest way and the cheapest way is to buy an interface like this : Tascam US-2×2 USB Audio Interface http://www.wirerealm.com/reviews/tascam-us-2x2-audio-interface-review

Most of the time you get them with a light version from Cubase, Protools or Ableton.

Not hard to learn to work with that, there are a lot of tutorialvideo's on youtube.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2016 2:12 pm     Is there a recorder that will do this?

Tony, after reading up on the Zoom R-16, it is very appealing to me. The reviews are great and I have always had great results with Zoom H-2. The manual that came with my H-2 is very clearly written and easy to understand.

I come from the past when I used reel to reel multi-track recorders, then later to an Adat when they first came out. I am very naive when it comes to digital. My experience with my H-2 has been very good, but that is pretty much my total experience with digital recording besides the Adat.

I looked on eBay and there are plenty of the R-16's listed, but most are listed with the word "Interface" which I am in the dark about. I am guessing that it means that the recorder is a link between what you record on it and your computer, but it just a wild guess. Should I get an R-16, is it a stand alone recorder that I can play back, but if I want to burn a CD, I have to hook it up to my computer. I don't want to buy a recorder that says it's an interface without knowing what it means.

Thanks

Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2016 3:51 pm    

"Interface" means you can use it as if it were a sound card on your PC. It will connect through USB.

The R-16 should also act as if it were a USB drive so you can copy files off of and on to it.

Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2016 3:54 pm    

Rick Schacter wrote:
I don't think a Zoom R8 can record to an SD card.

Smile Zoom offers something *called* an R8 which claims to use an SD card . It's even called out in this URL.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/multitrack-recorders/zoom-r8-8-track-sd-recorder-sampler-usb-interface

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 17 May 2016 5:22 pm    

George, what Lee said is correct, Zoom advertises it as a recorder/interface...it can be also used as a DAW control surface.

AND

it is a true 16 track, records 8 tracks at a time , recorder, forget all that interface stuff.
It records to an SD card or you can connect to a PC to transfer your tracks or completed songs via USB.

I own one, I like it , I don't use it much but I will not part with it. The manual is just ok and the little tiny window could have been bigger, but then again, what you get for the money is a bunch .

Truth be known, it's a great recorder for the $$$ and a so so control surface.

Runs a on AC or batteries, take it with you ! Grab a few 16 gig or 32 gig SD cards and you are set. I've never needed more than a 4 gig card, transferred files between the PC and SD card.

Another real benefit is it records each track in separate wav files so should you ever get a DAW you can import the R16 tracks to the DAW no problem, your files (tracks) are not obsolete. That was the # 1 reason I purchased mine, the 2nd being the SD card..

good luck !

t

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2016 3:40 pm     Is there a recorder that will do this?

One more question and I will leave everybody alone.

I have an external, stand alone CD burner with USB connection. This is what I hook up to my computer to burn CD's using I-tunes. Can I hook up the R 16 directly to the burner or will I still need to go through I-tunes on my computer? Also, I don't know what DAW means. (Digital Audio Workstation) just an educated guess.

Thanks for all the help. Now I just need to save up some dollars.

Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 18 May 2016 10:28 pm    

I don't think you can connect the R16 directly to your CD burner.
You'll need to transfer your tracks to your computer.

You are correct about what DAW stands for. It is digital audio workstation.
These days there are a few really good ones to choose from.

It all depends on which ones workflow you like, what you'd like to accomplish in your studio, budget, etc.

These days I mostly use Presonus Studio One and sometimes Logic Pro X.

Rick

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 19 May 2016 4:59 am    

It would be recommended to place your files to be burned on the PC , burn them to the CD burner from the PC, not over USB from the R16. Why use the PC as a middle man. You want to have a library of your tracks/songs on your PC anyway.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2016 8:20 am     Is there a recorder that will do this?

Ok, thanks for all the help. I understand enough now, so next step is to save up a few dollars and get going.
With the 8 tracks, I should get a big improvement over live performances I am currently getting with my H-2, plus, I will be able to do a mixdown to balance things out a bit.

Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 20 May 2016 10:08 am    

George,

I think this should be mentioned.

The beauty of having a Zoom R8 or R16 is that the unit is portable.
So if you are planning to record your band at rehearsal or a gig, then it's a great unit to have for all of the reasons that were already mentioned.

BUT, it you are not planning to record a full band and you just want to record yourself at home, you might be better off just getting an interface for your computer (I'm assuming that you have a computer).

IMO, an interface with two xlr inputs is perfectly fine for just recording yourself.
If you can afford to get an interface with more xlr inputs, that would be nice to have, but not always necessary.

There are quite a few options for interfaces just like there are quite a few options for DAWs.
Whichever one you choose, will depend on what you'd like to accomplish with your recording, your choice of workflow, budget, etc.

You can go to any online music store like Sweetwater, American Musical Supply, etc. and check out the types of interfaces they have.
Many of them are quite affordable.

A few of the online music stores will also allow you to make interest free payments on the gear that you purchase if you're interested in doing that.

Lots of my gear has been purchased that way.

Just wanted to throw this out there.

Rick

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2016 2:31 pm    

Amazon has the Presonus 2 input Audiobox interface on sale for $99 and it includes Studio One Artist version. I have the 1818 VSL, but I very rarely use more than one input at a time. He can drop his backing tracks in Studio One and have unlimited tracks for anything else.

RC

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 20 May 2016 3:04 pm    

Almost any of the older multichannel recorders will do all of the things that you want with no problem. You'll only encounter problems when you decide to use a computer or one of those hand-held devices. Get one of these....

I have two of them. But, if you don't like reel-to-reel, get one of these...

I have six of them. But you might not like using Minidisks. Then get one of these...

I only have one of those, but with 24 channels, a built-in CD burner, and USB in and out, it will do anything you want.

Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 20 May 2016 4:52 pm    

Rick Campbell wrote:
Amazon has the Presonus 2 input Audiobox interface on sale for $99 and it includes Studio One Artist version. I have the 1818 VSL, but I very rarely use more than one input at a time. He can drop his backing tracks in Studio One and have unlimited tracks for anything else.

RC

This is a great deal, IMO.
You can start with Studio One Artist version which is plenty to get started with.
If you decide to get the Professional version later, Presonus has excellent deals for upgrading from time to time.

Studio One is what I wind up using most of the time.
I really like the workflow. Extremely intuitive.

Rick

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2016 9:43 pm    

Old computer with one empty PCI slot. One M-Audio Delta 4x4 (4 track) or 1010 Lt (8 track) and their not virtual tracks they are 4 in 4 out, 8 in and 8 out respectively. Get an old Mackie, Behringer, Yamaha,Tascam Soundcraft mixer that has at least 8 line ins and 8 line outs. Get Cubase, ProTools light are Studio One. All the hardware would run around $300.00 second hand and new software could be bought for another $300.00 or less. If you know what you are doing you can record and sound like the big boys with that rig. Editing and mixing power out the kazoo. You have plenty of extra tracks to record something else simultaneously or use the extra ins and outs for sends and returns for reverbs or compressors. Possibilities are endless. Record other people to help finance your projects. I personally wouldn't mess with tiny 2 track or old outdated standalone units unless they are free. I have a Roland 8 track standalone with CD built in and the original manual I will give you if you will pay the shipping. In todays world all that stuff is worthless on the used market. I personally wouldn't mess with it. The Roland was given to me so that shows what they are worth. Get an old computer. They have built in DVD burners. Put some audio software in it and you already have 3/4 of your studio built. About 4 years ago I recorded an entire 14 song album for Chuck Cusimano with equipment I just described. It won Album of the Year at the AWA (Academy of Western Artist) in Ft. Worth that year. Some of the nominees were Tony Booth and Johnny Bush.

Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2016 8:11 am    

As mentioned earlier, the Zoom 16 should do wnat you want. Just watch your cd levels. Now is a good time to shop for one. I bought mine new 2 years ago Thanksgiving for $100 off the regualr street price, which at that time was $399. A bit of a learning curve, but not overwhelming. Easy to transfer files via USB, or take the SD card out and plug it in to your computer.

Richard Delucchi

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 3:27 pm    

you might try to find a used vs 24800 or vs 2400 by roland. wish i never sold mine it will do everything you want and more. just my 2 cents.

Richard Delucchi

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 3:29 pm    

you might try to find a used vs 24800 or vs 2400 by roland. wish i never sold mine it will do everything you want and more. just my 2 cents.

Dave Stroud

Texas
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2018 11:12 am    

The Tascam DP-02 and DP-03 both have on-board CD burners. The DP-03 replaced the DP-02 and is fairly recent (2015). But now, both are discontinued and they have been replaced by the DP-03 SD (with no CD burner).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tascam-DP-03-Digital-Portastudio/222781085735?epid=140634237&hash=item33dec99827:g:h38AAOSwUoNZ-Ysa