The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  HELP play both a steel and regular guitar IN SAME amp?
Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 9 May 2016 6:56 pm    

Yes I have a pro reverb that has reverb in both channels. That can work because you can set the level for each instrument. It's way more wattage than I normally need for guitar. But this amp sounds good at all levels. The problem is I use almost no reverb on guitar and a decent amount to reverb on steel and inevitably at least once or twice a set I forget to go back and change it

I personally think to be driven spring reverb sounds vastly better than most digital verbs. Would be nice if someone made an amp with real spring two channels but separate reverb levels on both channels. But I think that's pretty complicated

Buell Wisner

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2016 8:21 am    

Josh Yenne wrote:
Yes I have a pro reverb that has reverb in both channels. That can work because you can set the level for each instrument. It's way more wattage than I normally need for guitar. But this amp sounds good at all levels. The problem is I use almost no reverb on guitar and a decent amount to reverb on steel and inevitably at least once or twice a set I forget to go back and change it

I personally think to be driven spring reverb sounds vastly better than most digital verbs. Would be nice if someone made an amp with real spring two channels but separate reverb levels on both channels. But I think that's pretty complicated

I'm actually the weirdo who thinks my digital reverb (Strymon Blue Sky) sounds better--and definitely more usable--than the reverb on my Deluxe Reverb.

With pedal steel, the amp reverb seems to generate more grainy harmonics, and there's a very narrow sweet spot between 2 and 3. 2.5 isn't quite enough, but 3 is way too much.

From a sound/flexibility standpoint, I'd prefer to use both the amp reverb (set low) and the pedal (set high) to remedy the problem you're talking about (and I agree it can be a problem, at least with my amp).

In actuality, I don't always use the reverb pedal because my floor space/pedalboard is crowded. I just give up on any settings above 3.

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2016 8:25 am    

Another vote for a two channel Fender. Been using a modded Deluxe Reverb for double duty for years and have a Pro and a Super if more power is needed but 90% of the time it's the Deluxe.

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 10 May 2016 8:25 am    

Buell Wisner wrote:
Josh Yenne wrote:

I'm actually the weirdo who thinks my digital reverb (Strymon Blue Sky) sounds better--and definitely more usable--than the reverb on my Deluxe Reverb.

With pedal steel, the amp reverb seems to generate more grainy harmonics, and there's a very narrow sweet spot between 2 and 3. 2.5 isn't quite enough, but 3 is way too much.

From a sound/flexibility standpoint, I'd prefer to use both the amp reverb (set low) and the pedal (set high) to remedy the problem you're talking about (and I agree it can be a problem, at least with my amp).

In actuality, I don't always use the reverb pedal because my floor space/pedalboard is crowded. I just give up on any settings above 3.

Its true.. i wish the tube verb had a better taper... but I like the "grainy" part of the reason i'm not a solid state guy... but i get ya.

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 10 May 2016 8:26 am    

Dave Zirbel wrote:
Another vote for a two channel Fender. Been using a modded Deluxe Reverb for double duty for years and have a Pro and a Super if more power is needed but 90% of the time it's the Deluxe.

Zirb you don't have to change the verb at all when you change instruments huh? Thats my big thing... but then again my guitar tone tends to be pretty dry.

Buell Wisner

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2016 9:17 am    

Dave Zirbel wrote:

What speaker do you think is best for a dual purpose amp? I love the Tone Tubby Red Alnico for guitar, but I do not like its EQ or breakup for PSG.

I'm working towards making the DR my dual purpose amp for rehearsals and small gigs (when I don't want to carry a two-amp set up).

I DON'T play straight country, and I don't like the (recorded) JBL-at-low-volume tones for guitar.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2016 9:35 am    

Quote:
Zirb you don't have to change the verb at all when you change instruments huh? Thats my big thing... but then again my guitar tone tends to be pretty dry.

If I remember to change it I will adjust it between songs and switching instruments but I normally use reverb on guitar. Turn it up for steel and down for tele, but if I forget to change it it doesn't seem to bother anybody...

Quote:
What speaker do you think is best for a dual purpose amp? I love the Tone Tubby Red Alnico for guitar, but I do not like its EQ or breakup for PSG.

I'm working towards making the DR my dual purpose amp for rehearsals and small gigs (when I don't want to carry a two-amp set up).

I DON'T play straight country, and I don't like the (recorded) JBL-at-low-volume tones for guitar.

For years I had a jbl K120 and it was real good for live performance but I know what you mean about low volume recording. I finally managed to blow up the jbl speaker and replaced it with a Jupitor alnico and it sounds good. I recently switched to a ceramic Tone Tubby and I'm liking it but haven't gigged it out yet. Probably will take it out this weekend. I may order more Tone Tubby's like the Nashville or the red Alnico. I like the way their speakers are colored as far as tone. I play mostly with rock bands so I don't need 200 watts of super clean headroom....but I would say it's a better guitar amp than a steel rig but no one complains about my tone. In fact I get lots of compliments on my tone. (At least I have that going for me! LOL!) Also My Deluxe has been modded with a bandmaster transformer and 6L6 power tubes so it has more power but wants 4 ohms...I'm thinking two Tone Tubby's in my '65 Pro would be a real good rig....the quest for tone is not over I guess. Oh Well

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 11 May 2016 12:51 am    

regarding speakers, I keep coming back to the Fender Eminence Gold Labels. Like many, I've spent $$ and hrs trying to find euphoria. Turns out I've been close before I even started the search .

I recently grabbed a new speaker which everyone raved about , it's been in 4 different amps and on several gigs.

BUST...

Both the Steel and the Telecaster lost the sweet spot I was familiar with.

I've gone back to the Fender Emmi , it's bright and has a reasonable Bass curve . It can tend to be harsh with too much hi end if you are not paying attention, but overall it can be tamed. I use these same speakers now in all of the amps I own. I also replaced the N112 stock speaker with one and it woke it up from the severe mid range curve.

I'm also a fan of the JBL's but don't use them and don't own any.

I prefer the bright Fender amp tone so I need to stop looking for it, as I already have it and have for a few decades. I can stop looking now...

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Richard Wilhelm

Ventura County, California
Post  Posted 11 May 2016 7:01 am    

Tony, I play an old (dare I say vintage) long scale Fender 400. I also prefer the "bright Fender amp tone", and once replaced a 12" Black Widow with the Fender Special Design speaker because I just preferred the brighter tone. The amp I use is a SS Fender FM212R, basicly it resembles a Twin Reverb. It has the green label Fender speakers. Are those the same as the gold and are they Emminance Legend 1218? I recently replaced one of the speakers with a Celestrian G12H100 8ohm from another amp and I like my tone a lot more. The highs are sweeter and the overall tone is still warm. If I unhook the Fender speaker, the Celestrian becomes brittle, not sure if that is due to the unbalanced ohms. The FM212 manual says it is to be hooked up to two 8 ohm speakers. Tony, have you ever tried mixing the Fender speaker with others? The Fender amp gives me a nice tone (in my case maybe more forgiving than a tube amp). and I'm not sure how much better I can get in the budget I can or not afford. And I'm not sure if I can improve on that speaker combination without gambling away a bunch of money in $300 speakers. Emminance just came out with a Pete Anderson signature speaker called the Hempdog. Basicly mixing a bright speaker with the Cannisbis Rex. For $120 that might be a gamble worth taking. Note - I did have my dogs meet Pete once.

Fender 400, Fender FM212, G&L ASAT.

Was part of a hippie-Christian store in Cotati, California (circa 1976) called THE EYE OF THE RAINBOW. May God love you.

Last edited by Richard Wilhelm on 11 May 2016 9:16 am; edited 6 times in total

Richard Wilhelm

Ventura County, California
Post  Posted 11 May 2016 8:45 am    

The magnet weight of the Hempdog is 80oz. WOW. Total weight is 16.3 PDS. That's a heavy dog. My second thoughts on this speaker or the Canisbis Rex, it might just muddy up what I have. I'm not interested in the low end but making my high and mids richer.

Fender 400, Fender FM212, G&L ASAT.

Was part of a hippie-Christian store in Cotati, California (circa 1976) called THE EYE OF THE RAINBOW. May God love you.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 12 May 2016 12:49 am    

Richard Wilhelm wrote:
The magnet weight of the Hempdog is 80oz. WOW. Total weight is 16.3 PDS. That's a heavy dog. My second thoughts on this speaker or the x, it might just muddy up what I have. I'm not interested in the low end but making my high and mids richer.

Richard, I can't say if the FM Green labels are the same as the Gold Label Emmy's, but I suspect not. The FM, at the time was considered an entry level amp as opposed to a big brother with a much higher price tag.

Regarding the Hemp coned Canibis Rex, thats the one that I can't get a quality sound from, it took the entire high end curve and reduced it. I hate it ! It changed the entire EQ curve of each amp I have had it in. I tried it and failed.. Sad

It's probably a great speaker for many, just not me. I will offer it for sale soon, it's brand new minus a gig or two...

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2016 5:09 pm    

I'll just throw this out there...

I use a clean amp ( Quilter ). I have a Behringer V-AMP 3 in the F/X loop. So when switching from steel to six-string, I:

- switch channels from 2 to 1.
- Engage the F/X loop
- Disengage the reverb ( I use whatever reverb is
on the patch on the V-AMP).

I even went so far as to build my own remote for the Quilter to enable this - those three switches are at the top of the remote ( which clamps to a leg on the steel ) to where I can "gang" switch 'em with minimal motion. So this sounds more complicated than it is.

In your case, you could put a modeller on the six string side of your A/B switch.

This works for me. YMMV. I am sure there are better modellers out there, but when you turn nearly everything off except the preamp modelling, one effect and reverb on the Behringer, it's pretty good. I even get a (mostly clean but mildly ) Marshall-esque crunch outta the thing. But mainly it's an overblown treble boost. It does have a really nice tremelo setting that I even use on steel to cop Rhodes parts.

But the main driver for this is - my steel EQ has a fair bit of rolloff about about 2k, which the modeller boosts back in.

I've also had some luck with a Fulltone GT-500 for six string, using the EQ as a treble boost. The boost side of that is nice, but the distortion is harder to control than I like for a solid state amp.

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2016 11:48 am    

(LC):
Quote:
I'll just throw this out there...

I use a clean amp ( Quilter ). I have a Behringer V-AMP 3 in the F/X loop. So when switching from steel to six-string, I:

YOP. Though for me, it's a SWR SM500 for bass, and that plus a variety of settings on a Digtech RP250 for steel and six-string, it's perfectly workable. And actually far LESS fidgeting for steel, the controls on modern bass amps are right in there for steel, with a mid-sweep & Q adjustments. As my dox has disavowed me if I pick up anything over TEN pounds, since I violate that every time I might as well... well, no. He MAY have some point there. YES I KNOW that the absolute purrr-fect tone is only to be had by carrying three entirely seperate rigs, but my spinal discs just don't care. Snif, snif, wa-aaa! I could pay a roadie, mmmm, two peanut butter sandwiches (one w/honey!) and a can of warm Schlitz malt liquor per gig. A SIXTEEN-ounce can (!) if'n you don't talk back...

TP -
Quote:
I prefer the bright Fender amp tone so I need to stop looking for it, as I already have it and have for a few decades. I can stop looking now...

Snork, snork, famous NOT-last words? Re-file in the "HUMOR Dept?" Razz