The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  HELP play both a steel and regular guitar IN SAME amp?
Pat Richardson

Paxton, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2016 1:53 am    

did my first gig on steel last night . things went well with exception , i run an A & B switch as to use the same amp (a Nashville 112) to play guitar also , and the issue was the steel pickups are a lot hotter than the guitars and i could not compensate with the vol. pedal and find a workable happy medium with out turning the knob on the amp each time i switched over . what can i do ? small mixer ? will that hurt the pickups on either guitar or steel or will i blow up any thing ? What is the best option other than get a Vegas 400 with 2 channels. HELP !

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2016 3:27 am    

I would try a booster on the guitar to bring it up to level. Which booster to choose depends on your tastes for guitar sound/effects - maybe this will work for you... http://www.boss.info/products/fb-2/

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2016 3:43 am    

Pat..When the two available inputs in the 112 are used, then both become 'Low Gain' with equal volume output. I formerly used a 112 for both steel and electric banjo, this was my solution: I plugged the banjo into the high gain input and the steel into the other. When switching to banjo, I disengaged the jack on the cord connecting the steel to the amp just enough to interrupt the signal (half way is normally sufficient) which reverted the other input back to 'High Gain' status and increased the volume sufficiently to where there was no need to readjust the volume knob. Just need to become accustomed to pushing the jack back in when changing back to playing steel.

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2016 6:56 am    

This is what I use. Very simple.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/distortion-overdrive-effects-pedals/mxr-m-133-micro-amp-pedal?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CL-i1L7LscwCFc1hfgodHRsBBQ&kwid=productads-adid^92666429307-device^c-plaid^143205279162-sku^151104000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA
Dickerson MOTS/Dobro D32 Hawaiian/
Goldtone Paul Beard Reso

Mesa Boogie Studio Pre/Hafler 3000
RP1/MPX100

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2016 7:53 am    

I use a Dual Showman Reverb and use channel 1 for Steel, with an RV3. I run it to a 1x12 cab with a 4ohm JBL E120.
I have also used a Vegas and that would work fine too.
I would avoid a single channel amp for guit/steel.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2016 8:38 am    

I second Michael Brebes's nomination of the MXR Micro Amp. I had the same problem, and the Micro Amp, (which I bought at Michael's suggestion,) solved the problem.

(Side note; Michael is VERY knowledgeable and I often ask his advise and follow his suggestions.)

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2016 8:57 am    

Instead of a booster, I use an EQ pedal in line with the non-steel instrument, then both go into the input switcher box...that way you can adjust levels and also change the EQ to compensate for the amp being set for steel EQ...

Buell Wisner

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2016 9:51 am    

Instead of boosting the quieter instrument, you might consider cutting volume on the louder one.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/radial-engineering-bigshot-i-o-selector-switch

This is a cool box with a "dimmer" that attenuates the signal from one of the inputs.

You can get back most of the EQ with the "bright" switch.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2016 10:38 am    

A lot of it depends whether you plan to play six-string while you sit at the steel.If you do,then you'll want to have the appropriate boost and EQ (usually on the six-string) BEFORE the A/B box.The steel goes in the other side of the A/B box;the A/B box output then goes either to the VP or straight to the front of the amp if you are using the "volume pedal patch" on your 112.If you stand to play six-string it just makes more sense to use a 2 channel amp and run six-string and steel through the individual channels. like THIS

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2016 1:41 pm    

Why not really play it smart and get an amp that's a much better guitar amps? That would be almost anything - the Nashville is IMO very weak as a guitar amp. A second amp that's 6-string specific would not only get you better tone, you'd have a backup amp for your steel. Right now you are relying own a single amp and if anything goes wrong you are cooked.

I haven't done a gig with one amp for at least 20 years. Almost every guy I know who plays out - whether one instrument or multiple ones - has a backup amp onstage at all times.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2016 3:07 pm    

The Peavey Vegas is the only amp I ever had that did this right.
JB

Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2016 7:30 pm    

Pat I use one of these little Rolls mixers: http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=MX122

With this I can use reverb/delay pedals on my steel (sometimes in stereo when using two amps) and then I'm using a multi effects on my 6 string like a line 6 or a Digitech into a different channel It would work just as well coming straight from the 6 string guitar and steel volume pedal but you will find it's nice to have different effects and tone settings, etc. on each instrument. The Rolls has 4 stereo inputs and a headphone jack too. I like to plug in a iPod or my phone to silently practice a new song just before a gig if needed. I've been using one of these for several years.

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2016 6:15 am    

I use one of these:
http://www.bossus.com/products/ls-2/

George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2016 7:47 am     same

When using what ever is in the back line (if I don't use one of my Fender amps) I use the same unit as Kevin uses.

Geo

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 2 May 2016 10:53 am    

I use this. Different output levels are no problem.

Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2016 11:11 am    

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=299398&highlight=

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2016 12:19 pm    

The Boss LS-2 is an excellent pedal. Gives you lots of options! Two loops, one for steel, one for 6-string.
Twin. Add reverb to the normal channel for steel, and have your tech voice the Vibrate Oh! channel for guitar if you so desire. Bown or Tweed sound.
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Buell Wisner

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2016 8:54 am    

Here's another vote for two amps, just because putting together a "perfect" dual-purpose rig is like going down the rabbit hole of complications and frustrations. Wink

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2016 3:32 am    

Problem is, with what gigs are paying nowadays, I sure as hell ain't gonna carry 2 amps, so you need to find one that is good for both steel & guitar, since preferable amp characteristics are opposite for both instruments. I use a PV Blues Classic; it's an all-tube Classic 50, but with 1-15" instead of 2-12s. I replaced the no-name stock speaker with a BW 15, & the tone is awesome for both. YOu have a volume pedal; you should be able to control all your volume on both instruments with that.

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 8 May 2016 9:51 pm    

I really try to limit the amount of gigs I do with both instruments. Just because bringing both rigs is a huge pain in the ass. I can pull that off 1 AMp. t it definitely involves changing the reverb whenever I change instruments. Always preferred to bring 2 A if possible. Luckily nothing I play in is so loud that I need to bring two big amps. two small lightweight amps always suffices. But damn it's a lot of gear to set up

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 9 May 2016 1:14 am    

or maybe instead of reinventing the wheel, do what folks have been doing for a 100 years .

SOMETHING LIKE THIS:

OR MAYBE SOMETHING LIKE THIS ?

Sure, you may want Reverb on the dry channel so stick an R Pedal in the signal path.

Old school math still adds up to 2 guitars ='s 1 amp ! Laughing

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Sandy Inglis

Christchurch New Zealand
Post  Posted 9 May 2016 1:52 am    

I play Guitar and Mandolin as well as PSG. I solved the problem by using a Boss EQ footpedal connected to the Peavey Nashville 1000:

• Footswitchable post-EQ effects loops send and return.

The Boss EQ Pedal is always on and is switched by a homemade footswitch, which also turns off the reverb when I use Guitar or Mandolin.
The Boss EQ Pedal is set up to give a boost to the Guitar etc.
One criticism of the Boss Pedal is that it does not give a true bypass, but by switching it with the amp. it effectively does.
The EQ Pedal sits on the amp by the carry handle and has two short cables to the amp.

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 9 May 2016 5:25 am     same amp

this is what i used 75% of the time. works for me Smile

p.w

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2016 2:07 pm     Boost pedal

I had the same situation, and a simple boost pedal was the cheap easy fix. I found one used for around 40 bucks. The steel pickups are much hotter, the pedal evened out the volume.

Buell Wisner

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2016 2:59 pm    

If one amp is a requirement, I second the suggestions for a two-channel Fender amp.

I use a Deluxe Reverb for both, but it's HARD to tame the spike with PSG. It's usable at low volumes, and you can set the volumes and EQs independently. I have reverb on both channels.

Part of the problem is undoubtedly the British style speaker I'm using, so YMMV.

But yeah, those amps work for that.