The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Wheel-EZE type SKB case for my D10
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2015 8:41 pm    

For over 20 years I carried my D10 in an SKB case, outfitted as a Wheel-EZE with customized padding by Sierra guitars. While not a flight case per se, I flew it a handful of times each year to play at various steel shows and never had a problem with it. It was the only way I could get my D10 body into a hard-sided case and still keep it under 50 lbs for the flight limit (otherwise pay up to $100 extra each way). (I've never encountered a wooden case that would be light enough.) To keep the guitar case under 50 lbs (48.5 loaded!)I just needed to carry the legs and the pedal rack in my suitcase instead of in the steel case, which required that I have a slightly oversized suitcase so the pedal rack could fit in on the hypotenuse. (Fortunately the airlines never nabbed me for oversized luggage charges.)

After about 20 years of use, the case did eventually wear out and fall apart (hinges, handles, etc.) I was going to bite the bullet and buy another one for about $225 but while reading about them on Musicians Friend, I noticed that they offer a LIFETIME GUARANTEE! Anything happens to it, just send it back for a FREE REPLACEMENT! So I did! And they quickly sent me back a brand new one that's even a little lighter-weight than the previous one, and better built, as far as I can see.

So 2 weeks ago a carpenter-friend and I spent a nice afternoon measuring my D10 six times and calculating distances, heights, etc, cutting and gluing foam and naugahyde, etc, etc. and got it all set up for its maiden voyage to St. Louis for this year's ISGC. It performed like a charm and even had adequate clearance for the toggle switch on the endplate to sit in a depression in the end-pillow we made for the case, so it wouldn't break.

The best part is that I can even fit the pedal rack in the case now, and it's STILL under 50 lbs (49!), so I only have to carry the legs in my suitcase (and I'm gonna try a set of lightweight legs in the near-future too). This case empty & before adding any padding weighs 12.15 lbs. Since the legs are shorter than the pedal rack, this means I don't have to carry that oversized suitcase with me to shows anymore either; I can use a regular-sized (checkable) rolling case. That's also very good news.

So, here are some pix if you're still reading this far and curious. Not a work of art by any means but it's getting the job done nicely.

In case with pedal rack on top of cut piece of yoga mat. Built-in straps hold it all tightly in place

Guitar body in place, showing toggle switch resting above depression in end-pillow.

Guitar removed, showing sidebar supports and yoga-mat bottom cushion.

Typed description with photos in hopes that TSA will read it and be sure to put the guitar back in the same way
it went in - with toggle switch on pillow - or else it WILL break off and leave me with a nasty surprise upon arrival.
In fact, on this trip, they left no "TSA calling card" in the case, suggesting that perhaps they didn't really
even remove the guitar from the case. Maybe the description was enough to persuade them to just close
the case back up and not bother with it.

[/i]

Last edited by Jim Cohen on 9 Sep 2015 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2015 3:04 am    

Jim,

More details please! First, the foam - did you use ethafoam? This is a fairly rigid open-cell foam that holds shape and can be easily cut. It looks like you covered the foam with vinyl, right? The guitar is resting on the narrow blocks on the side, right?

Thanks,

Doug

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2015 3:45 am    

Doug, yes I should have mentioned. The foam is foam-board that is sold in hardware stores as insulation for walls and, yes, it's covered in naugahyde and, yes, the guitar rests upside down on those two side rails which contact the top-deck of the guitar, along side the raised necks.

Here's a pic of the foam-board:

Last edited by Jim Cohen on 9 Sep 2015 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2015 6:08 am    

Jim it sure looks like you have this well thought out... looks very safe for your guitar...
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2015 3:16 pm    

Jim they work great mate -- a little tip for you though, pop out the plastic/carbonate axles in the handles and replace them with a stainless bolt with a nylock nut on the end - probably the only weak link in the new version of this case. I found out the hard way hehe !!! Since I fixed that small flaw it has been perfect and I've flown my Zums a lot in it.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2015 4:41 pm    

Jim, nice case and a testament to a quality company honoring their warrantee.

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2015 5:05 pm    

Jim, thanks for the info! That is extruded polystyrene foam. I think the ethafoam would have a little bit more give, while still being reasonably stiff, but it is much harder to come by. I've got one of those cases, but have yet to set it up. Paddy - thanks for the excellent tip on the handle!

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2015 8:14 pm    

I actually made the interior dimensions to cater for my Zum's with a D2F cover in place - just to add a little it of extra protection for the guitar body.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 7 May 2016 9:59 am     Wheel Ez Case

I need a case for my Sierra SD12U guitar. The inside dimensions need to be 36 x 8 x 14". The case Jim mentioned looks to be the one Sierra sold back in the day. Mine came in a Thomas case (heavy plywood) and I've been carrying it in a much-modified keyboard case that's wearing out. I went to the SKB site and their Rail-Pack utility case measured 36.75 x 12 x 8.25. Not quite wide enough. Is this the same case you guys are using? It's the 1SKB-H3611W Rail Pack case.

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2016 11:28 am    

John,

Yes, the SKB-3611W is the case for a Sierra U12. I just finished out one three months ago for one of my Sierra U12's. I've gotten rid of all my wooden cases.

John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 7 May 2016 11:36 am    

Is your Sierra a single wide or double? Mine's a SD12--the width needs to be at least 13.75" in width unless I took off the rear (or front) legs. Mine is the Olympic model with the folding legs. They can be removed.

John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 7 May 2016 11:37 am    

I'm talking inside dimensions.

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2016 12:26 pm    

John,

My inside measurement (new version SKB-3611W) is 11 3/4" This is 1/4" narrower than the older, original Sierra cases. I don't recall Sierra ever using the wheel-eze case for the Crown or Olympic series.
Reason being that they weren't wide enough.

John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 7 May 2016 2:03 pm    

Thanks, the search continues.

Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 8 May 2016 5:51 am    

I made an earlier post on SKB cases and trying to put a Sierra Session D10 into one. It would not fit. Just my 2cents worth.