The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  8mm to dvd
Gere Mullican

LaVergne, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2016 4:58 am    

Can somebody tell me how to have an 8mm video to dvd. My wife died recently and I found an old 8mm vcr tape that I would like to have on dvd, It is of our 35th anniversary and we were married 63 years, Please email me. Thank you. Gere Mullican

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2016 7:19 am    

If, by "vcr tape", you mean a VHS cassette tape, I suggest you investigate DVD/VHS combo recorders. There aren't very many available, but they're the most direct and cleanest way to transfer analog VHS tapes to digitized DVDs in one process.

I own this one. It works well. The instructions are a bit cryptic, and I'd probably have to re-read them to use it today, but it does the job. The description mentions it has been discontinued by the manufacturer, but I'd still recommend it as a solution. Equipment that works with legacy media is getting scarcer by the day.

I see that Walmart is advertising a different product that appears to do the same thing, though I didn't examine the specs closely. And there may be others out there.

Gere Mullican

Post  Posted 27 Apr 2016 8:58 am     Thanks

Thank you but I have an 8mm (small cassette) tape. not VHS

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2016 9:22 am    

Gere:

I'm not sure what an 8mm cassette is.

Are you referring to 8mm motion picture film? That would typically be on a reel, not a sealed cassette of some type.

Regardless----your best bet is a commercial outfit that does transfers as a business since you aren't likely to find consumer level equipment that can handle 8mm anything.

Look in the Nashville, Jackson, Knoxville, Memphis phone books--yellow pages. You should be able to find somebody in Tennessee on the Internet and then deliver it to them.

Look under "video production" or something like that.

Cost? I dunno. Guess 20 bucks to 100 bucks for a one-off deal.

Gere Mullican

Post  Posted 27 Apr 2016 9:50 am     Thanks

Thanks I appreciate your help

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2016 10:11 am     Re: Thanks

Gere Mullican wrote:
Thank you but I have an 8mm (small cassette) tape. not VHS

OK, must be either Video8 or Hi8 format from an old analog video camera. If you wanted to undertake the project yourself, first thing you'd need would be some kind of tape transport that can play the cassette, and it would need to have AV out jacks. I used to use the AV out connectors on my old cameras that shot the video, connected to some sort of capture device, then into the PC.

This creates a video file on your hard drive which you then burn to DVD using dedicated software.