The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jim Parker of Meridian ms arrangements for his Funeral
Tommy Young

Ethelsville Alabama
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2016 5:13 am    

He passed away this morning early his son text me before 8:00 to let me know and to post to all his friends may he rest in peace and may GOD Bless..

Services will be held at Hebron Baptist Church visitation at 10:00 funeral at 11:00 the address is 4795 VimVille, Causeyville Road Meridian Mississippi

Last edited by Tommy Young on 20 Apr 2016 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2016 6:01 am     Jim Parker

Condolences to all in the family and friends. Jim will be missed. RIP my friend.

Duane Dunard

Troy, MO. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2016 6:23 am    

Sorry to hear this. Jim was very active at the steel shows around the country. RIP Jim.

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2016 6:35 am    

God rest his soul. Jim was one of the good boys.
My condolences to Jim's family.

Charles Rainwater

Sheridan , Arkansas
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2016 8:28 am    

I have known Jim since the mid-sixties, He was always helpful, and a good Honest man. Jim was a much better pedal Steel player than he ever gave himself credit. He will be sorely missed by all who knew him. My condolence to his Family.

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2016 9:43 am    

Jim was a good honest man. My condolences to his family and friends.

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2016 1:45 pm     Jp

I'll always remember the several times Jimbo came to my home and we would spend hours just talking and looking at steel guitars. I just never figured out why he would order a cheeseburger each time we would go to our local fish camp. Ha! RIP buddy.

Last edited by Billy Carr on 19 Apr 2016 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Skip Cole

North Mississippi
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2016 3:46 pm     Jim Parker

Sorry to hear of Jim's passing, my condolences to his family and friends.

Skip

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2016 4:19 pm    

Very sorry to hear of Jim's passing. He was a lot of help to me in my learning to play pedal steel from answering all my questions to sending me some learning material he had made.

Jack Harper

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2016 8:50 pm    

r.i.p. jim....
we gonna miss you here, but, suffer no more.
I have worked several steel guitar shows with jim.
he loved promoting shows and players. he would gladly step aside to give some newby a shot. his eyes would sparkle, seeing someone advance to another level. he loved the steel guitar and talkin' about the possibilities it offered.
we gonna miss you, my man. r.i.p.

country jack....

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2016 5:09 am     Jim Parker

I've known Jim since the mid '70s and he was always nice. He will be missed and he was a very good steel guitarists. RIP Mr. Parker.

Arvis Moore

Brandon, Ms.
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2016 5:16 am    

RIP my friend, I will miss you.

Dave Lewis

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2016 1:35 pm    

As a relative newcomer to pedal steel, I purchased my first guitar from Jim, sight unseen, a pig in a poke. In my conversations leading up to my purchase, I spoke with Jim on numerous occasions, asking questions, listening ... and finally, purchasing. I'm pretty intuitive on human nature, and I had reason to believe Jim was selling me a product that I would be proud of, and that it would be every bit as good has he had suggested.

I received my Rains SD10 via mail, and prepared to assemble it, using a youtube video for reference. It was, to say the least, intimidating. I knew nothing .. I had this concept that since I had played lap steel as a kid, I could sit down and play the pedal steel.

I was sorely wrong!

Jim had sent a tuning chart and copendent sheet with the guitar. After piddling for a day or two, I began to have some doubts as to my purchase. There was a knee lever on my left that didn't seem to do anything except hang down. The "E" levers, left and right worked perfectly. Jim had set the guitar up impeccably, but I was afraid I had a broken lever.

I called Jim and discussed my issue. I could hear Jim chuckle just a little under his breath as he said, "Dave, that is a vertical lever. You just haven't pushed it over far enough".

Over the course of time, I visited with Jim and he visited with me at my house, taking time to work with me and encourage me. I later purchased a nice Mullen PRP D10 from him. I have both guitars still. I told Jim that playing pedal steel was similar to golf with me .... get new clubs and the game would be better. And so it goes, with guitars as well.

I had called Jim last Thursday to encourage him in his battle with Cancer and his son Jay answered, so I knew his days were truly numbered. I encouraged Jay to tell Jim that in spite of his selling me two rusty heaps of put together pieces for guitars, I still appreciated all of his words and kindness. I could hear Jim laughing in the background as he heard my story from his son.

Jim was a talented player. His weakness was finding players that could play at his level. He gave any and all a chance .... He was a fine man and those who knew him will miss his strong opinions, his quiet demeanor, and his friendship.

I will.
Nashville 1000

Andy Jones

Mississippi
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2016 7:07 pm    

Man,this is terrible news.Big Jim helped me an awful lot on the steel.We went to many steel shows together.
Tommy,what day is the funeral?I've checked all the funeral home websites in Meridian and none of them have Jim's obituary listed.I'm in Branson,MO and won't be home until late Thursday,April 21.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2016 3:39 am    

Condolences for my old friend, Jim. He will be missed by many, I am certain!

Tom Harris

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2016 5:31 pm    

Jim You will be missed, R I P my friend,condolences to the family

Bob Hempker

Goodlettsville, TN.
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2016 10:08 pm    

This is really sad news. Jim was a dear friend. He was one of the nicest persons I've ever known. He was an accomplished player, and aN extreme lover of steel guitar.

Benton Allen

Muscle Shoals, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2016 7:02 am    

Sad to hear of Jim's passing. He was a nice guy, and a real steel guitar enthusiast.
So sorry for his family's loss.

Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2016 5:39 am    

I live here in Meridian, MS. I have known Jim Parker since I was a teenager, for over 40 years. Jim's father James and my father were friends many years prior to that, and played music together on occasion I understand.

Jim was a very talented and special person. He was always happy to give PSG newbies like myself helpful advice and share his talent with us.

I didn't know that when I heard him play several months ago that it would be the last time on this earth that I would hear him. He and his music will be greatly missed.

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2016 7:19 pm    

So sorry to hear that! Always enjoyed talking to him, great guy..RIP buddy..

Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2016 8:49 pm    

Andy Jones wrote:
Man,this is terrible news.Big Jim helped me an awful lot on the steel.We went to many steel shows together.
Tommy,what day is the funeral?I've checked all the funeral home websites in Meridian and none of them have Jim's obituary listed.I'm in Branson,MO and won't be home until late Thursday,April 21.

Jim's funeral was on Saturday, fyi.