The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  More Earth Drive Talk
Kelvin Monaghan

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2016 11:59 pm    

I have been using the Earth drive since it first came out,with Lap steel and Strat and Tele.
To get the full benefit of the tones this pedal produces,Guitar direct into the ED if you put a buffer or vol pedal etc before ,youll get the raspy edge,rather than a nice smooth overdrive.
My pedal wont heavily start to distort till about 1 oclock .
I have black box but put it after the ED ,I found putting before,I lost the guiar pedal control,the ED into the blackbox gives a very smooth natural tube like distortion.
Of course it all depends on the pickup output,high output pickups will overdrive much earlier.
My observations.Cheers

Buell Wisner

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2016 9:42 am    

I have basically nixed running the Earth Drive first based on the factors I describe earlier in the thread, but I will certainly experiment with this again.

It seems most of y'all want more drive/saturation than I want. I want the low-medium clipping I've been getting with guitar, not anything like a fuzz or distortion sound.

IIRC (which I may not), when I ran it right after the pickup it produced more of the latter across much of the "Drive" knob.

David Spires

Millersport, OH
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2016 10:36 am    

I don't know that this is helpful for you or not, but I've been trying all sorts of things to bring my gain structure down (pedal steel pickups being hotter than guitar pickups).

I've resorted to a Boss GE-7, just as a buffered volume to bring my gain structure down before hitting an overdrive pedal, compressor, etc.

I use this first, then in my case -- to any compressor, then overdrive, before my volume pedal (because I want a consistent amount of those effects, and use my volume pedal for actual volume control, not amount of overdrive).

I'm sure there has to be a better way, but this has improved my pedalboard situation, and it also lets me hit the front end of tube amps less hard, and have them respond more as a guitar player would expect.

In this era of active volume pedals and hot pedal steel pickups... it's the closest thing to a solution I have found.

Best of luck,

David Spires

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2016 8:50 pm    

Good ideas David

Bob Grado

Holmdel, New Jersey
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2016 3:02 am    

Quote:
I have black box but put it after the ED

I was under the impression that the Black Box must see the the pickup directly (with the shortest cable possible) to be most effective.
That being the case wouldn't Steel/BB/ED/VP be the best option?

My current rig is:
Steel/BB/VP/Sarno V8/Delay/ED/Reverb/Quilter Tone Block 200 / 15" Eminence.

I'm not sure exactly what is the best placement of my effects in the chain. ( question: should the effects come before or after the V8 since there is no
effects loop available?)
Any suggestions on possible variations of the above chain would be appreciated.

Tks on advance,
BobG

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2016 7:05 am    

I would switch around the ED and DD for sure...DD's should be after drive boxes but before reverb.