The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Kindle screen
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2016 12:32 am    

In the Forum Feedback section b0b was talking about the use of a Kindle for charts, and how it was annoying that the screensaver kicks in after only a short time.

Why does an LCD need saving? I understand why CRTs needed to keep moving, but the Kindle screensaver is static anyway!

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2016 6:37 am    

The display uses lots of energy, so the default setting shuts it off avoid draining the battery.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2016 10:28 am    

Actually, the original Kindle used NO energy for a static screen display. It was 100% reflective - it only used energy when changing the image. That's why it was so good in sunlight compared to iPads and other tablets.

The current model (which I have) has a backlight for reading in low light situations. I "upgraded" to get that feature because sometimes I'm in low light situations on stage.

There's a design flaw in the backlight UI, though. You can set the brightness, but you can't turn it all the way off. In a very dark room you can see light at the minimal setting. The screensaver image is the only thing that shuts it off. And (this is my main complaint) there's no way to change the screensaver timeout value. If you don't touch the screen for 5 minutes, the screensaver kicks in and the device shuts off! This can be inconvenient on stage.

Other than that, I love my Kindle Paperwhite.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2016 12:48 pm    

I suppose the screensaver is misnamed as it's really a powersaver. A true screensaver was what protected a cathode ray display from becoming imprinted by a static image. Presumably when you're reading your Kindle, although the screen only needs energy when you turn the page, the rest of the device needs to run its software. Makes sense now. But a shame you can't alter the setting.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2016 12:58 pm    

It's not even really a power saver if you have the wi-fi turned on. Oh Well The first generation Kindle had a battery life of 3-4 weeks between charges. With the new Paperwhite, I'm lucky to get 2 weeks.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2016 1:16 pm    

Hey Bob,

I've got a Kindle Fire that I'd like to use to store or access song lyrics and chord charts. Do you have a favorite program or app for that? I see a lot of guys with Ipads and I know there are some good programs for them but I don't know what's available for Android devices.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2016 8:50 am    

With the Kindle Paperwhite, you can install a printer driver on your computer and then print any document to the device. It goes through Amazon where it gets converted to an acceptable format, then gets downloaded into the Kindle. You can also send a file via email to your Kindle, and Amazon converts it en route.

Sorry I don't know much about the Kindle Fire.

Some singers I know just snap a picture of their lyrics with their tablets. Seems like the simplest way to go.