The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Red Simpson RIP
Rick Jackson

Carson City, Nevada
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2016 7:03 pm    

Just got a request from Larry Petree to post that Red passed away a little while ago. Prayers for his family. Don't have details but Larry will let me know and I will post then. Thanks..j

Jim Hinds

Gallatin, TN USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2016 7:32 pm    

Sad news. Red was a great singer-songwriter and part of the Bakersfield Sound, and nobody wrote better truck-driving songs.
You will be missed Red.

Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2016 8:23 pm    

So sorry to hear this....Red was in a class by himself...RIP

Billy Easton

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2016 8:34 pm    

Aw, I'm so sorry to hear this. Red has been one of my favorites for a long time. RIP, Red.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2016 9:30 pm    

RIP Mr. Simpson. Those recordings with Leo LeBlanc are fantastic.

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2016 1:18 pm    

This is very sad. No more Trucker King Artist out there. Red Simpson is the last one standing in that order. Thanks for the many years of friendship and times performing with you Red. RIP. Uncle Leo J Eiffert Jr Sad

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2016 2:27 pm    

One of the greatest songwriters in country music history! I played with him one night and still cherish the autographed 8x10 he gave me, signing it "Hello Herb, I'm a Truck!" Laughing

Class act for sure! Condolences to everyone who loved him, especially Larry Petree who played steel with Red for years on Monday nights at Trout's in Bakersfield.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Steven Finley

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2016 3:37 pm    

Got to play behind Red several times,when I was working with Eddie Drake back in the eighties,another piece of country music royalty gone,Rest in peace you werw one of the best!!!!!!!

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2016 10:37 pm    

I had the good fortune to be asked to play steel on maybe his last CD called The Bard Of Bakersfield back about 2006 or so. I shared the stage with him a number of times also around L.A. and Bakersfield and he was always a hoot to hang out with and a treat to pick with. Pretty much the last of the original heavyweight Bakersfield singer/picker/songwriters. I'd have to also say his records were the template for a lot of Junior Brown's songs and stage act and I know Junior would say as much. More influential than most folks know. Gonna miss ya Red.

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2016 11:36 pm    

Sad news, another great artist is gone.

RIP, Red

Walter Stettner
Vienna, Austria

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2016 11:54 pm    

I met Red through Larry and am was proud to call him a friend. I had the pleasure to go to his house to help him with his old computers that would get a little fussy from time to time and so I got to hear lots of great music and tons of interesting stories, some of them funnier than hell. He never stopped writing and playin music and that always impressed me about him. He sure made me laugh. Gonna miss him for sure.

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2016 2:48 pm    

I grew up listening some of Red's music. When I was a kid, it was Dick Curles, Dave Dudley and Red Simpson, Red Sovine, and Del Reeves. singing those trucking songs. Red along with Buck were the Kings of the Bakersfield sound. They will be missed.

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2016 3:35 pm    

Ron Epperson and I are in town tonight Jan.11, 2016 at Trout's for our good late friend Mr. Red Simpson. Come on out and have fun with us for Red. Starting at 7pm til 10pm . RIP- Red. Winking

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2016 11:45 am    

Well that " Welfare Bum " did it for me " The Way I Am " in Honor of our late friend Mr.Red Simpson on his Career and the History of The Bakersfield Sound that I had a great little part in being of in the 60's,70's & 80's. Ron Epperson,Brian Lonbeck and the whole band was super on that stage at TROUT'S as I could feel the Spirit History in me while playing Guitar & Vocal of my performance. Hope you enjoyed it Billy? Winking

Billy McCombs

Bakersfield California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2016 1:25 pm    

Good job Leo, enjoyed your Original song "Welfare Bum" Great Melody. Got to talk to Ron on his breaks about why there's no Steel Jams in Southern California anymore. Seams like something needs to be done about that. Billy
78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2016 3:32 pm    

Sorry to hear of Red's passing. I really enjoy Red and his music. Very cool !!!

My deepest sympathies and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Sincerely,
Chris "Tiny" Olson

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2016 4:40 am    

New York Times Obit:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/13/arts/music/red-simpson-singer-songwriter-who-helped-define-the-bakersfield-sound-dies-at-81.html?emc=eta1

Billy McCombs

Bakersfield California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2016 7:35 am     Red and Son

Unavailable.
78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56

Last edited by Billy McCombs on 18 Jan 2016 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2016 3:59 pm    

Thank you Billy! The politics of Music with night clubs is what's making so many Musicians who are older have no place to go. Bakersfield is a blessing place to be from or live in,but,with most of you guys who are keeping it alive, Traditional Country Music.I don't see Trout's Holding it together. You ain't getting much out of it from support of local radio stations. Them days are over. Thank God the Steel Guitar family is holding all that together. Yes! I wish we could get it all back on it's feet,but, that ain't gonna happen because it's to far gone. I sure can't understand why Rockwell can't get it together but,what wrong with the neighborhood in it's location of street peddle homeless creating a bad. It's just not Bakersfield,it's all over this country. That " Welfare Bum " thing. God bless us all. Winking

Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2016 2:29 pm    

red talks about his career on this tribute to bakersfield
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyfq5XQgJI0

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2016 7:36 am    

How soon folks forget who was here. Our Steel guitarist Musicians who's History of what they left here like Jimmy Day,Jeff Newman,,Carl West,Art Sanchez,Buddy Emmons,Red Rhodes,Tom Brumley, Ralph Mooney and other Musicians like Archie Francis,Rod Culpepper,Doyle Holly,Billy Armstrong, Johnny Grimble, Gorge Manz,Jimmy Pruett,Al Bruno,Jimmy Bryant,Johnny Davis,Joe Baker,Lou Martin,Phil Baugh,Danny Michaels,Jerry Inman,Bill Hoffman,Eddie Dean,Eddy Drake,Cliff Crofford,Pete Drake,Johnny Dollar, Tex Clark and so many other across the Nation. I have been very blessed to have known these folks and pick with them. RIP my friends. Crying or Very sad