The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Knee Levers Rus-Ler Looking For Options
Daymon LaPoint

Jasper, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2016 10:50 am    

Thanks in advance for y'alls wisdom.
I have a Rus-Ler D-10 with parts for 9&8 that I was selling but the kid that thought he wanted it didn't show up. So I've decided to keep it and bring some new life back into it. Anyway, back to the question.

The factory knee levers are thin aluminum and to me flimsy. I like the Sho-Bud Tear Drop type knee lever or something with more substance. Do you know if there are after market standard type knee levers that I can install on this Rus-Ler. I've attached a picture so you can see what I'm working with.
Any advice is much appreciated.

'66 Emmons Bolt-On, Sho-Bud LDG, Sho-Bud Fingertip, Rus-Ler D-10, '70 Emmons, P2P Bad Dawg, Fender '59 Bassman,'59 Fender Twin "Bonamassa", Fender Twin Reverb and Rick Johnson Cabinets. Previous and Proud owner of James Blonde, Brownie, and Rosalee.

Daymon LaPoint

Jasper, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2016 11:09 am    

I just spoke with Chuck Back. He helped me with new original pedals and bell cranks.

'66 Emmons Bolt-On, Sho-Bud LDG, Sho-Bud Fingertip, Rus-Ler D-10, '70 Emmons, P2P Bad Dawg, Fender '59 Bassman,'59 Fender Twin "Bonamassa", Fender Twin Reverb and Rick Johnson Cabinets. Previous and Proud owner of James Blonde, Brownie, and Rosalee.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2016 11:55 am    

That looks a lot like MSA and Dekley.
If they're 3/8" shafts, I'd consider using those. They dang sure ain't flimsy

Daymon LaPoint

Jasper, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2016 11:57 am    

Much appreciated Lane! That's a good thought.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2016 1:26 pm    

i thought dekley levers were thin and bendable.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2016 1:28 pm    

chris ivey wrote:
i thought dekley levers were thin and bendable.

Yes, they are Sad

Daymon LaPoint

Jasper, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2016 2:02 pm    

Thanks for the wisdom guys. Obviously he was referring to MSA being heavy and Dekley being an option that will fit the Rus-Ler. It was a two part question I posed. I do however appreciate the positive input. Rolling Eyes

Carl Heatley

Morehead City,NC
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 3:42 pm    

You can get some 1/2 x 1/2 Aluminum square bar from ebay...I just bought 8 pieces 8" long for $12 with free shipping...Just copy a Mullen lever...Also...You may want to change out the heavy cross shafts with aluminum bar...You can get that at Lowe's!...And maybe change out the pull rods to aluminum too...When it's all done you maybe be able to carry it to the car without taking a break!!!.. Very Happy

Daymon LaPoint

Jasper, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 4:29 pm    

Carl, wonderful ideas. I appreciate your time and I'll take a look into the aluminum square bar. Thank you kindly! 👍

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 5:16 pm    

The Rusler is built with 3/4 inch maple, so the body of the guitar is heavier than most steel bodies. And I'm pretty sure the cross shaft are aluminum, as is most, if not all of the hardware underneath. So I don't think you'll ever get this steel much lighter. The heft is why it sounds like it does, and is as stable as it is.

Also: When I picked this steel up from the factory Russ showed me a changer piece and a tuning head piece for his steels versus the same pieces from a ZB. The Rusler pieces were substantially heavier, thus the sustain and weight.

Daymon LaPoint

Jasper, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 6:43 pm    

Thanks Paul, good to hear from you. My intentions are not to lighten it, the entire undercarriage is in fact all aluminum. I want heavier more substantial knee levers. I don't like the current thin gauge aluminum used nor do I like the shape or appearance of them. Gonna try and get someone to sell me some Sho-Bud teardrop type that I can modify or just make them myself out of aluminum bar stock. There is no getting around how heavy this thing is, nor how well it plays and sounds. Great guitar, thank you.