The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  String not clear on GFI
Jack Hargraves

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2016 2:11 pm    

I have a GFI Expo S-10 3/4 All the strings sound good and clear all way up the neck except the 6th,G#.
It's a SIT 22P. It doesn't have the ring the other strings have, it's almost, but not quite a rattle. I replaced the string with another, the same gauge, but it didn't help. I checked the roller at the nut and it turns freely and is clean. The changer finger is clean and I rubbed it slightly with some crocus cloth, still no difference. Any Ideas?

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2016 2:59 pm    

1) Does the behavior persist acoustically, as in without the amp? If so, try moving the string over a bit towards either apron
2) if it only exists plugged in, you might have a bum pickup

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2016 4:01 pm    

my semi-worthless thought to consider is since the 6th string is plain and right next to the fatter wound 7th string, maybe there is a slight difference of string level that needs to be compensated with a little extra bar pressure.
then again, lots of people play gfis ...maybe some of them have an idea.

Jack Hargraves

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2016 8:10 pm    

Yes, Lane, it does it without the amp.

Jack Hargraves

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2016 8:12 pm    

Chris, I thought about maybe trying a wound 22 gauge. Thanks a lot for your input.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2016 9:16 pm    

I have a GFI Ultra that I have tested various string brands/types on. The recommended (for GFI) SIT sets w/22Plain 6th didn't sound good to me - I burned two sets of SITS before throwing them out.

The string sets I use on my "regular" PSGs - Jagwire 'LGSeries' and LiveSteelStrings, both w/22Wound 6th - sound wery good and even all over the neck on my Ultra. My Ultra has a mix of Jagwire 'LGS' and LSS strings on it now, as I have found that same-gauge strings from these two brands are almost identical in tune-up and sound characteristics.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2016 9:37 pm    

Does it have the worthless BarcusBerry Pickups?
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2016 12:10 am    

a lotta barcus berry bashing lately.
years ago an older guy who used to post some nice clips of himself kinda felt the same and put up a clip of a steel with the bb's and another with some
more respected pickups.
i swear i liked the barcus berries better in that instance and told him so at the time.
i think he died years later. but to just make a blanket statement like that seems a little untair.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2016 1:04 am    

you replaced it with another string, same gauge from the same package , same brand ?

Always chase the string first with these scenarios, and as always, when the string is OFF check the roller nut and the bridge for burrs or grime.

try another 22P, different brand or a 22W. Doesn't have to be a 22 can be something close. You are seeking a "change" in the big picture.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2016 8:34 am    

There was a run of Barcus Berry that had incompatible materials. I bought a slightly used GFI that had those pups. E9th measured 32,000, and the C6th was over 60,000.
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Chris Harvey

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2016 4:35 pm    

I had that issue with a guitar once. Changing the string did it for me. I used Jagwires and the problem stopped. Try the 22 wound and make sure the roller nut isn't binding and there isn't anything loose at the changer.

Jack Hargraves

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2016 5:52 pm    

Thanks for all the input. I can always count on you guys. Ok, I made sure the roller not rolls free, is not dirty, changer finger is clean. The pickup is a GFI II made by George L. I did change strings with the same gauge and brand. Now I'm going to put a 22 wound string on it and try that. I have a feeling that might do it. I'm sure glad we have the forum.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2016 8:34 pm     String not clear on GFI

Been there and done that. Last summer I bought a S12 GFI. In Dec. I set it up to transition from 10s E9 to 12 String Universal. I had the same problem with 2 strings having weird rattle like sound. What I finally found was it was in the nut rollers. To get the nut roller out of a GFI Ultra you have to remove the 2 Philips head screws from under the body to pick the whole Nut Roller Assembly out of the steel. The shaft will not come out without hitting the tuner head bar. I removed the shaft and laid the rollers on a sheet of paper to keep them in exact order. The 2 problem rollers felt but when I got them out of the bracket I found that some of the powder coat had went into the slot and hardening in the slots. I took a flat needle file and cleaned the paint out of the slots. Put it back together using Zebco fishing reel silicone grease as lubricant. Have not heard those weird sounds since. Good Luck and Happy Steelin.