The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  lnlay finished on my first build
Phillip Ogle

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2016 1:50 pm    

Well, lm glad thats done. My first build, and first attempt doing abalone inlay.

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2016 3:34 pm    

That looks great Philip!

I've got some rope binding to inlay on both body bouts and neck once I get my single 10 S~B a bit closer...I don't have a lot of tools and necessary equipment to work with, but will double the thickness of the body with the top portion of board on key head side. Hopefully I can find a good band saw or seek someone cut it out for me. I'll strip the neck and refinish the body, maybe a burst I dunno but leastof my worries righ now.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2016 4:39 pm    

Looking good Phillip, J.R.

Phillip Ogle

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2016 2:56 am     inlay on first build

Thanks for the nice compliments. Istarted out planning to do a color, but the natural maple looked so nice, l decided to leave it natural. I put 4 coats of belem vinyl sealer, and will put about 5or6 coats of instrument laquer. Hoping it turns out well. Wish me luck.Kevin, l like the idea of a blueprint. That's exactly what l did. The changer was my greatest challenge. Don't need a lot of fancy tools,l dont. Although it would be nice to have a small lathe, and mill. Maybe some day, when l get my new shop finished. Thanks again.

Phillip Ogle

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2016 2:57 am     inlay on first build

Thanks for the nice compliments. Istarted out planning to do a color, but the natural maple looked so nice, l decided to leave it natural. I put 4 coats of belem vinyl sealer, and will put about 5or6 coats of instrument laquer. Hoping it turns out well. Wish me luck.Kevin, l like the idea of a blueprint. That's exactly what l did. The changer was my greatest challenge. Don't need a lot of fancy tools,l dont. Although it would be nice to have a small lathe, and mill. Maybe some day, when l get my new shop finished. Thanks again.