The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  30 Years since we lost Ricky Nelson
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2016 5:25 pm    

31st December,1985, we lost one of the greatest rock and roll/country singers of the century in a calamitous aeroplane crash.

I get the impression that his reputation in the USA was always held back because he was seen since childhood on the Ozzie & Harriet Show, which was the first place that people saw him sing. In Britain, however, his parents show was never televised, so his popularity and renown as one of the greatest influences in rock and roll was earned purely on the basis of his music. He was one of my all-time favourites long before I ever saw an episode of his parents' show. Cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8mqWGrz4vc
If anyone has any doubts as to his abilities as a composer and country singer, listen to the above. Pedal steel by Buddy Emmons. Cool

Jim Myers

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2016 6:54 pm    

Yes, it was a sad day. I got the news when I showed up for a New Year's gig.
56 D8 Stringmaster.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2016 3:16 am    

Thanks for the reminder! If memories were all I sang, I'd rather drive a truck..

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2016 7:31 am    

I have all his early records (through 1966/7) and still enjoy hearing them from time to time. I have to say that I never thought him a particularly good singer but he occupied his own place in original (read 'real') rock and roll music. He had a recognisable style and that's always an accomplishment.

And, boy, did he have some great bands?!!! In the UK his records are what introduced us to the incomparable James Burton but the rest of that early group were top notch as well. His old albums are typified by the tight and economical rhythm section and there was always that biting Telecaster taking a break somewhere in the song.

Alan's right - I heard about the Ozzie & Harriet Show but didn't see any footage until very recently. For us it was all about the music. (By the way, according to the spendid two-volume Presley biography by Peter Guralnick, Elvis loved him!!!)

I was glad to see that the eventual findings of the NTSB inquiry established that a failing fuel-line was responsible for the on-board fire and not the drug-related activity that was hinted at by some.

That last band of Rick's was pretty good, too, with Bobby Neal being an exceptional guitarist.

(I was doing a pantomime at The Orchard Theatre, Dartford, Kent - with Dickie Henderson, Jack Douglas and Wendy Richard - when I heard the sad news. Remember those names, Alan?)

When Rick came to England in the early-1970s part of me wanted to see him anyway, but I'd just bought my first steel (a ZB) so Tom Brumley became the focus of my attention. I saw the tour in Birmingham and again at the Albert Hall.

Will Houston

Tempe, Az
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2016 10:21 am    

I remember it well, brought my newspaper in, opened it up and there was the bad news.. took me awhile to get over that one. What great music what a great voice. Kinda grew up with the guy seeing him on tv every week all those years. The young Ricky was pretty funny kid a real smart ass.

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 2 Jan 2016 11:19 am    

They announced his death on the radio before his family were informed. His three sons and daughter were in a car driving through California when they noticed that the radio was playing a lot of their dad's songs, and then heard the announcement that he had been killed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQSSg3RenEI
This concert was recorded a few days before his death. He died in the prime of life, well before his time. By the way, notice that the Jordanaires are his vocal backing group. We tend to think of the Jordanaires as Elvis's group, but they actually sang behind a lot of other singers over the years, and appear on a lot of hit records.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyjC_y6Fyfw
His sons are all musicians, and often perform memorial concerts to him. Check out the above.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2016 4:12 pm    

I grew up watching Ozzie and Harriet and always waited for Ricky to sing his songs as he got older, that was usual per episode almost. We were treated to great music with star quality session guys and hit song writers behind the recordings.

Any re-runs of the O&H shows today may not include Ricky's television performances.

His voice was simple, but musical.

Sad how Ricky and his tour died. But it had nothing to do with drugs like the lore seems to want to indicate.

He left some talented children though, Matthew, Gunnar and Tracy. And Ricky's songs are classics.

The Nelsons, Ozzie and Harriet, David, Ricky.

Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2016 4:34 pm    

A great singer.I used to cover some of his tunes back in the day, Traveling Man,Hello Mary Lou,and many more. Tenn.Lee
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,

Last edited by Lee Dassow on 3 Jan 2016 4:36 pm; edited 2 times in total

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 3 Jan 2016 4:35 pm    

Godfrey Arthur wrote:
...Any re-runs of the O&H shows today may not include Ricky's television performances...
You'll be happy to know that a lot of the Ozzie and Harriet shows are posted on YouTube, and Ricky's performances have not been removed. Cool

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2016 4:51 pm    

I like the fact that James Burton, although he was miming to the records on which he almost exclusively played his Telecaster, he'd pose on the Ozzie/Harriet shows with other guitars. I recall his Gretsch 6120 and a Fender Jazzmaster - there may have been others.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2016 4:59 pm    

Roger, That's good that you mention Bobby Neal. He was a very nice guy along with being a great guitar picker.
I live about 25 miles from Ft.Smith, Ark. and in the early days before he went to work with Ricky he work at Ben Jack's Guitar Center there. It was always interesting to hang out there. Ben and Bobby were always at their best. They did local studio work and worked with one of the best local bands around, Jerry Jay & The Jay Walkers. Ben Jack being the steel player.
I remember walking in the store one day and their set Tom Brumley's Green ZB Steel. What a thrill, was not for sale for Ben had starter collecting then. What a sad loss with that plane crash and may they all RIP. I cannot remember where I was at when I heard the news but it was awful. I had become good friends with Bobby.
J.R. Rose

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2016 4:36 am    

That's interesting, JR! Do you have any idea how Bobby Neal got hooked up with Ricky? If Bobby lived around Ft Smith I wonder how he made the connection.

He always impressed me and I enjoyed seeing that old Gibson L-7 he used to play. It's nice to see arch-tops in a rock and roll setting - common enough in the '50s, of course, but not later on.

Jeffrey Smith

Harvest, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2016 5:52 pm     Burton and Nelson

Roger Rettig wrote:
I like the fact that James Burton, although he was miming to the records on which he almost exclusively played his Telecaster, he'd pose on the Ozzie/Harriet shows with other guitars. I recall his Gretsch 6120 and a Fender Jazzmaster - there may have been others.

I think that's James Burton on the beautifully clean acoustic guitar in "Lonesome Town." Burton -- a real phenomenal player... and Nelson was no slouch of a singer, either. As Roy Buchanan said in one of his songs, "I don't claim to be Caruso." Neither did Nelson... but he brought it clean and clear.

Jeff

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2016 7:24 pm    

I was working on a TV show in November and his sons were on the show. When they came on the set they saw me at my guitar and came right over and talked at length about Tom and how much his Dad and they loved him and his playing and loved it when he was around their house when they were growing up. It was very touching to hear that, and it was fun playing with them....

Steve Geis

Fayetteville, GA USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2016 6:28 am    

The twins were on Fox & Friends a few days ago. I just caught the tail of the visit so not real sure what it was about, but they were talking about their dad. Maybe it was a kinda commemoration visit and something about a new CD or or a new show they were doing. I too grew up watching Ozzie & Harriet with great anticipation for Ricky's weekly performance. Radio Classics on Sirrus Radio used to air some of the Ozzie & Harriet radio programs and Ricky of course was really, really young then. I saw Ricky perform at the Fox Theater in Atlanta about a year or so before his tragic death. In those days I played regularly 5 or 6 nights a week so I had to actually take off a night to go to his concert,....so glad I did!!

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2016 5:16 pm    

Hey Roger, I can not remember ever being told how he got the connection. I just know that I went in Ben Jack's one day and asked where was Bobby and was told he had gone to work for Ricky. The other sales clerk
that worked their was Terry Anderson and a great guitar picker also. He later had his own music store in Ft.Smith for several years but closed a couple a years ago. I will see if I can contact him and ask him
because I am sure he knows. He is also from Ft.Smith.
Ben Jack had started collecting steel guitars and Gibson's. He had a wall full of L-7's and others. He had built a bigger store down the street and had a big room just to keep his collection in. It was awesome.
He later sold it to a John (can't remember name now) in Arlington,Texas I think, Between Dallas and Ft. Worth. He had something to do with the MCI Guitars and maybe the EMCI. I was looking to buy a Red MCI he had but passed on it. He told me he had Ben's collection in a storage building. Scary to say the least. Do not know what ever happened to it. J.R.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2016 8:29 am    

Thanks, JR - interesting! I wonder where those Gibsons are now?

If you ever do learn more about the story I'd love to hear it.

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 25 Feb 2016 4:09 pm    

Ricky Nelson and Hank Williams both died on 31st December.