The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Interface Suggestions
Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2015 8:47 am    

I'm running Windows 10 on my desktop but also have a laptop with XP Pro SP3 available with my MP3 backing tracks on it using Music Match Jukebox for playback. I'd like suggestions for a USB dual input audio interface. I'll be using Audacity and recording, at most, two acoustic guitars using a pair of condenser mics. I would like to have each mic go to a separate track if that's possible and I'd like it to be compatible with either computer. I'm a newb when it comes to computer recording so please be gentle. Budget: $100 or less (preferably less) 'cause I still have to buy mics. I'm thinking a pair of Behringer C-4's for the mics but would rather have a better quality interface.

Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2015 2:18 pm    

For $100, I think it would be difficult to beat this deal:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlett2i2

I've never worked with Audacity before, but I've heard that it's a very useable software...especially for a DAW that's free.

Another DAW that you might give a try is Reaper.
It's not free, but it seems like a very good DAW.
Especially for the price they're asking.

http://www.reaper.fm/download.php

Another DAW that you might try is the free version of Studio One by Presonus:

https://shop.presonus.com/products/studio-one-prods/Studio-One-3-Prime

Good luck and have fun with your recording projects! Smile

**If/when you might run into trouble with these pieces of software, you could go to places like Youtube,the software company's forum or ask for help here.
There are a few of us that use these different softwares and might be able to help.

Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2015 10:23 pm    

If the XP is 32 bit make sure you can get 32 bit drivers for whatever it is you want to buy. I don't think Focusrite makes 32 bit drivers.

Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2015 12:40 am    

Les Cargill wrote:
If the XP is 32 bit make sure you can get 32 bit drivers for whatever it is you want to buy. I don't think Focusrite makes 32 bit drivers.

According to the system requirements listed, the Focusrite will work with a 32 bit OS for Windows.
Click on the area that says "Read More", then see where it says "Requirements for Windows":

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlett2i2

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2015 8:13 am    

I have been using Audacity for several years and I love it.
Along with it I have an Alesis i02 Express which I also like. Very simple to use and does it's job for me.
I am a very basic kind of guy in recording doing one or two tracks just to share with friends.
I have an older model but I assume the newer one will be just as dependable.
For $80 it has been a very good deal for me.
I have used mine with Vista and XP and it works equally well with either.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/alesis-io2-express-audio-interface
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Doug Clark

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2015 4:19 pm    

Music Group (Behringer, et al) has a special offer on the U-Phoria UMC202HD. I just acquired one for $59.99, with free shipping.
http://forum.music-group.com/showthread.php?8990-Special-Promotional-Offer-U-PHORIA-UMC202HD-for-59-99-USD!

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2015 1:42 pm    

The Presonus Audio Box USB is a good unit also. I use the 4 channel version and great preamps and zero latency feature which I'm sure the others have also. Studio One Artist is also a great DAW and free but the pro version has much more features and is a bout 300 bucks. To me, makes Audacity sorta rinky dink when compared to Studio One. Reaper is way to complicated for me, has a big learning curve.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2015 9:44 pm    

I agree with everything Henry says. You can't go wrong with Presonus gear. The Presonus interfaces come with a copy of Studio One Artist so you can try it before you invest in the full version. It's an all in one DAW recording software with tons of effects.

RC

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2015 5:57 am    

Sent you a PM Rick-Thanks

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2016 6:27 pm    

I'm using the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 USB interface, which has two inputs - I run my steel from Telonics preamp in stereo to the Focusrite .... one wet, one dry - to two separate tracks, and it sounds fabulous !

http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i4
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2016 10:57 am    

I'm using a Presonus ssVSL .. and their programming.. but it seems like the hot set up is a UAD Apollo with Thunderbolt..

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2016 1:36 am    

Why not just use one PC ? Take all your MP3's and copy/save them to your WIN 10 PC which has Audacity. Import the MP3 backing track into your Audacity session and away you go, just play your Steel live thru your interface while Audacity is playing the MP3.

Audacity will play your MP3's just like MusicMatch. You don't even have to record.

Audacity is a nice little program, very user friendly. Create a new project , start with a stereo track, import your MP3 into that track, then add mono files as necessary for you acoustics, Steel ,as required. Just be sure you have your interface selected for the input of each track for recording. You have to do this anyway !

Build a song template with a stereo track for your MP3,s and a few mono tracks for your guitars, save it under a common template name , then import your MP3 and record away on the additional mono tracks, then SAVE AS with your song name.

Or, do it all on your Laptop...same thing.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website