The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Two feet /three pedal chords and licks
Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2016 3:56 pm    

Anybody have any "takes two feet" chords on the C6 or E9?
One of my favorite on E9, (but I don't think I've ever used it on a gig), is pedals A and B with the left foot to get the four chord, then depress pedal C with the right foot to transition to the relative minor of that four chord (two minor chord of the original key). Really you could shift off from pedal A and drift over to B and C pedals with just the left foot and get the same notes, but it's impractical to do smoothly.
I have another that actually uses three pedals, two feet and a knee lever but I don't think it's much value to explain here since it might be unique to my universal tuning (close to the Newman U12). I do use it regularly in an original instumental.
Yes, I do loose control of the volume pedal distastefuly once in a while.
Testify anybody?

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2016 5:56 pm     Pedals

Hi Jim,
I don't have any "two-foot" moves, but I do have that same AB pedal + a knee lever (raises both Es to F#) like you mentioned. You are right, one can shift from AB pedals to BC, but it is not as smooth as just adding the F# by itself.
I did use AB and tap on the C pedal as a lick in a song. I now use the lever, but it does not seem to be as quick-changing as the pedal move is.

...................Pat

Bruce Derr

Lee, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2016 6:21 am    

Jim, funny you should mention this, because I just tried it the other day for I think the first time ever. I normally raise 4th to F# on LKV, but I don't have that change on my Emmons S-10, so I tried the right foot on the C pedal (with left foot on A+B).

I think Buddy Emmons was doing that with Ernest Tubb during his solo in Driving Nails.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnEMOQTh27s

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2016 8:04 am    

Well I play Day, so that particular avenue of delight is closed to me Sad But it's got to be slicker than a vertical lever.

Jim also asked about C6, where two feet are a fact of life, not just a party trick - however you arrange the pedals you can't get every combination adjacent.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2016 8:29 am    

Bruce - yes, I think you're right about that Buddy/ET clip.

Ian, you can play that same lick if you have the low F# to G# raise (or the 6th string lower) in the no pedals position, using the A pedal instead of the C pedal.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2016 8:52 am    

I've seen that video before, but I only now noticed he did it again at the third fret at 2:17

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2016 1:04 pm    

Great @!$@ video there Bruce. Ayeh, heard that pedal C in there. That's a great example of Buddy's attack. He's a monster. I'm realizing its' telling - he was an acoustic steel guitar player too whereby attack is important and it bleads over to his electric playing. Just yesterday while cruising the "for sale," section on the form, I noticed Buddies steel guitars of various incarnations from his estate are up for sale at Grunn's. I was surprised to see so many Dobros of the same vintage I have BTW, (doesn't make my any better a player ha ha)