The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Windows 10 upgrade reminder
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2016 10:57 am    

I did the Windows 10 free upgrade (from 8.1). It went flawlessly, but then my audio was messed up with static and cutouts. This is a 2 year old Toshiba laptop computer. I tried to update audio drivers, etc.... No luck. I rolled back to 8.1 and the problem went away.

Now I keep getting the reminders to update to Windows 10. Is there a way to turn this off?

RC

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2016 5:57 am    

It's been a while since I did the rollback, but I got the method from this link:
http://www.howtogeek.com/218856/how-do-you-disable-the-get-windows-10-icon-shown-in-the-notification-tray/
I even learned to hack into my registry and get rid of whatever insinuates it. Whatever I did, the nag is gone.
I think you'll find what you need there.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2016 6:46 am    

The problem could have been fixed.

I have a Toshiba laptop that was upgraded from 8.1 and no problems (it is my recording studio Laptop that I use for on site recordings).

I just went over my sister-in-law's older Toshiba that was upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 yesterday and the sound on it works perfect.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2016 10:00 am    

There is a custom utility called GWX Control Panel that subdues the GWX icon and also prevents the OS from being automatically updated if you don't want that to happen.

The page contains a lot of Geek-speak is is definitely TL-DR. Gather what details you need to use the program, then download and install it (Admin credentials req'd).

There is a video on using it on YouTube, preceded by a long commercial.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog