The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lap Steel Guitar Making a Comeback!
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2016 2:35 pm    

What seems a little twistery to me is that the most "revered" players, the naturals, the ones who everyone ELSE claims must have some special birthright - they all thought they had to work really hard, nothing "natural" about it! And the inverse, even moreso - those who DO feel they have been given a sacred gift, and a calling and a mission, seem more convinced of it than just about everybody else who is so... "blessed" as to get to hear them.

(If that's a sacred calling, mebbe it'll call 'em over there for awhile...) Rolling Eyes

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2016 4:11 pm    

I don't know if lap steels are making a comeback or not. I am just glad I found them.
I think there are quite a few old pharts like me out here.
I've played armpit guitar for many years and arthritis popped up and said "Cut it out".
So I migrated to the lap steel and I am happier than ever.
I've heard a lot of older guys like me tell the same story.
Two local music stores now have lap steels in stock. A year ago....Not a one.
I also see a lot more used lap steels for sale. I just wish everyone didn't think they could finance their retirement by selling them.

I'd never seen a Weissenborn until last year when I accidentally clicked on a YouTube video by Thomas Oliver.
One month later I had a Weissenborn copy. Can't believe I missed that instrument all my life. Must have been blind.

I'm not "gifted", I'm not "talented". I'm just enjoying it.
Maybe I'm just "around". Mr. Green
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2016 5:02 pm    

Since I began my instrumental music radio program about six months ago on OCRockRadio (see elsewhere on "Steel Without Pedals), and this has made me research tunes more carefully than I would otherwise, I have been pleasantly surprised by the occasions in which a "steel": lap steel/ dobro/ pedal steel/ slide is featured, simulated, or imitated even in modern recordings over the last 20 years.

In my travels I have noted that the steel sound is appreciated by many who are not familiar with what it is. Many's the time when I am asked what "that instrument" is. So, go out there and play your steel of whatever colour, kind, genre of music...and make it sound the best you can. Steel guitar's time will come, an accident waiting to happen. And it will be an evolution...

Kay

W. Bill Schmidt

Puerto Rico, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2016 10:03 am    

Not sure about a "comeback", but in the sleepy, music backwater of Rincón, PR there are 2 of us gigging regularly on lap. This time 2 years ago, zero...