The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What's a good/great electrified resonator?
Ron Kassof

Las Vegas, NV, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2015 8:03 am    

For what it's worth, you might want to try these strings on the Gretsch:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3593785&postcount=28

Dennis Anderson

Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2015 8:48 am    

A good/great electrified resonator? National Resolectric gets my vote.

Tommi Toijonen

Kouvola, Finland
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2015 7:28 am    

Tommi Toijonen wrote:
Dont know if it's the piezo I'm after... maybe a hundred for the pup would be the budjet. If cheaper, better still.

Quoting myself.... I'm going for DIY route I think. It seems my budget will be around ten euros. Very Happy

I've copied the piezo positioning from KKsound (on the bisquit, right behind the saddle), used a 40 cent piezo and some super glue. Maybe I'll position another one under the cone like some other brand does (now I can't remember which it was). And add a switch to use either or both of 'em.

I ditched the glueing option, it was somehow distorted sounding. Probably too little glue... and I ruined the piezo when trying to fix the buzz.

Made another and this time I used double sided tape that was left over from K&K's mandolin twin fusion system. Now it sounds pretty decent, maybe a bit too bright and not as loud as my Martin's piezo under the bridge. Well, that's why I have my Para DI, for amplifying and tone shaping.

Here it is, input jack in the coverplate hole:

Tommi Toijonen

Kouvola, Finland
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2016 1:21 am    

Un update to piezo positioning. Right next to saddle on the bisquit produced quite woody and mellow sound, but it was too low in volume.

I moved it to the cone - half way in between the center and the edge. It's better, very loud and sounds like a resonator. I didn't notice that the acoustic sound would have weakened. Piezo is very light and the K&K goo is excellent stuff for application.

Next I'm going to piezo a spider Hohner. I try to stick the piezo under the cone and route the wire to the south east corner of the guitar (well, like where the output jack normally is located in electric guitars like tele or les paul).

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2016 5:53 am    

tommi...i applaud your thrifty approach. too many musicians throw tons of money at their guitars, when sometimes the best results can come from clever
experimentation with the funky items you have!