The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gigging for God
George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2016 10:19 pm    

Great to hear you sharing your God given talent with the One who gave it to you. God bless your musical ministry. Very Happy

John Peay

Cumming, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2016 1:43 pm    

I've played quite a bit at my church. Both modern P&W (Chris Tomlin, Hillsong, Matt Redman, etc. etc.) and the "red book hymnal standards" (Old Rugged Cross; What a Friend We Have in Jesus; I'll Fly Away; Washed in the Blood, etc. etc.)

While I MUCH prefer the old hymns, playing the modern stuff has taught me a few nice things on pedal steel, out of necessity mostly. I've also discovered that I can in fact worship to these modern "7-11" songs, yet they will never touch me like the hymns do.

Finally, if you're playing anything in church, get some our brother Erv Niehaus's gospel tabs, there are some great ideas in there. Hardly a Sunday goes by that I don't use a few phrases from Erv.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2016 1:59 pm    

John,
Bless your heart. Very Happy

Robert Harper

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2016 2:40 pm     Churches

I was speaking to a guy who had a friend where no musical instruments are used. He said he spoke to one of this church members and ask why they didn't use instruments. He said " there is no mention of musical instruments mentioned in the New Testament. The guy I was speaking with went home and researched and sure enough there wasn't any musical instruments in the New Testament.

Robert Harper

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2016 2:48 pm     Praise Band At Former Church

The Praise Band I sat in for a while was of course playing the New Music. One day the leader took the Congregation into one of the Standards. The Congregation loved the music and actually sang. After the service the Leader said. I just don't understand the Congregation won't sing to our normal sons, but loved the standards.I refrained from saying you are leading people where they don't want to go.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2016 2:58 pm    

Every old hymn or gospel song is a 3 minute sermon. Very Happy

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2016 4:14 pm    

I've been searching for a church with a kickin' band and an anointed Pastor. I may have found one and hope to play at the services soon. It's time... time for me to give it back to The Lord !!

Chris "Tiny" Olson

Billy McCombs

Bakersfield California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2016 7:58 pm    

Erv that's a wonderful way to look at the old Hymns. Never thought I would get all of these nice post about Playing in church. Good for you Tiny.
78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56

Mark Wayne

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2016 8:56 pm    

Robert, Interesting question...

I've encountered those who don't include instruments in church. It seems that "gigging for God" would be justifed, though Smile

Here's an online quote that seems to make sense:

"Musical instruments were definitely used in worship in the Old Testament. The fact that the New Testament nowhere condemns musical instruments indicates that the Old Testament practice was continued in the New Testament church. The early church was comprised almost entirely of Jews. It is highly likely that they continued using musical instruments in the church, just as they did in Old Testament worship.

So, even without an explicit New Testament reference, it is clear the church can use musical instruments in its worship. However, there is a clear New Testament reference to musical instruments. Ephesians 5:19 declares, "speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord."

With "Psalms" being filled with references about playing instruments, it does not seem out of the question for instruments to be legitamitely played in the New Testament.

We can make a decision based much on that.

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2016 7:05 am     Re: Churches

Robert Harper wrote:
I was speaking to a guy who had a friend where no musical instruments are used. He said he spoke to one of this church members and ask why they didn't use instruments. He said " there is no mention of musical instruments mentioned in the New Testament. The guy I was speaking with went home and researched and sure enough there wasn't any musical instruments in the New Testament.

Robert, is there a possibility that this person and his church family have the same believe as the originators of the Sacred Harp singing? Such singers use a tune book titled The Sacred Harp. Many of the titles of the songs (they are, in fact, hymns) refer to musical instruments. As others have mentioned, stringed instruments are especially prominent because they are in the Psalms and other scriptures, and because they are associated with David, the royal psalmist. Some present-day singers interpret the term "sacred harp" to refer to the human voice in general, or the vocal cords in particular. At least two books entitled The Sacred Harp were published before 1844. Sacred Harp singing is not accompanied by harps or any other instruments.

An example of one of my favorite Sacred Harp hymns is titled "Poland". It is hymn number 86 in The Sacred Harp. The melody was written by Isaac Watts, in 1719 and the lyric by Timothy Swan, in 1785. "Poland" is based on Psalm 28, verse 1: "Unto thee will I cry, O Lord my rock; be not silent to me; lest, if thou be silent to me, I become like them that go down into the pit."

Here is a link to "Poland" as it appears in The Sacred Harp:
http://www.sacredharpbremen.org/lieder/026-bis-099/086-poland
Note: In secular versions of this type of singing, it is referred to as 'shaped-note singing' because, as you see, the notes have specific shapes which refer to intervals of the scale just as Do Re Mi are specific to intervals of the scale. This is a way of teaching music to those with no prior musical training.

And "Poland performed by a Sacred Harp ensemble. Note: Sacred Harp singers arrange themselves in a square, facing each other. Sopranos facing basses and altos facing tenors. They start a hymn by naming the notes of the song 'fa so la' (as in the Do Re Mi song). Tempo is kept by waving their arms up and down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZRld2j1nhM

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2016 8:38 am    

I have a number of hymnals that I tab from that are "shaped note" hymnals. It is my understanding that in the South they teach shaped note singing.
In my area of Minnesota, we have several Mennonite families. The Mennonites don't use any type of instruments in their worship services. We love the Mennonite people and my little Baptist church even has joint services with them at Thanksgiving. It was kind of ironical this last Thanksgiving, we couldn't line up a piano player, so the singing was done acapella. I'm sure that made our Mennonite brothers and sisters feel at home. Very Happy

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2016 10:54 am    

Erv, here's a link to a fascinating Wiki article on the history of shape-note singing:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shape_note

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2016 12:28 pm    

Glenn,
Thanks so much, that was very enlightening. Very Happy