The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Alternative to a volume pedal ???? Help ???? Ideas ?????
Mark Shuda

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2016 9:05 am    

I have a new friend who is recovering from a stroke. He is a steel guitarist. He has made a great recovery and is getting back behind the wheel, so to speak, with a pedal steel. The one issue he has is non mobility in the right foot. Has anyone had any experience with an "alternative" volume swell or cut mechanism? My intuition tells me a right forearm or elbow spring load pot may work. Anyone have any ideas or experience with this? Thanks !

Gerry Cockrell

Buffalo Gap, Texas
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2016 9:44 am     Alternative to Volume Pedal

Contact Dave Beaty at Telonics. They have a volume pedal sensor specifically developed for handicapped players such as your friend. I have one of these sensors. I had my left ankle fused and can no longer rock side to side between the E9 tuning A & B pedals with my left foot. With modifications to my pedal steel, I now use both feet to play the A & B pedals. Thus the Telonics sensor comes into play in order for me to control my volume pedal.

Dave Beaty

Mesa, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2016 3:12 pm     Volume control for physically challenged players

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=295085&highlight=disability

Mark, there have been quite a number of threads about this topic, a more recent one can be found on the Forum at the URL listed above.

In addition to what is mentioned there, quite a number of players with impairments like your friend have used our TMRS miniature remote sensor along with our FP-100 pedal electronics to control volume with their elbow, their wrist, shoulder or their head (usually on their hat). There are some good pictures on the Forum of Curt (his last name escapes me at the moment - showing my age...) playing with a TMRS "hat" sensor and wrist levers for everything else I believe. I think he had a specially equipped GFI? steel. He did a great job in spite of serious impairments.
Perhaps someone else can fill in his last name and even post a URL of him playing.

We're always glad to help folks out in this way when we can. If you care to send an email address to Sophie (sophie@telonics.com), she will see that the appropriate information is forwarded to you right away. We wish you all the best in this project.

Wesley Medlen

LaCygne,Ks
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2016 2:45 pm    

I played with a gentleman in the Rio Grande Valley who could not use either leg he played a Sho Bud on E9 and C6 with out using pedals he had a volume pedal rigged up on his guitar at his right arm did a darned good job of it. Was good to see some one with a handicap like this enjoy it so much.

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2016 2:21 pm     Vp

I beleave I Could attach a lever to my onboard VP fairly easy.But I would need the steel at my shop to do so. Depending on what parts I have in stock it wouldn't cost very much.

BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2016 7:29 pm    

Bill,
What is the purpose of the Nylon Rollers that make contact with the cross shafts? Thanks

Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2016 12:38 am    

Jeff, I've always been under the impression those nylon rollers on the shafts, and the nylon cylinders screwed to the cabinet, simply braced the centre of the cross-shaft to minimise flexing.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2016 7:28 am    

Ned is right. They stabilize the cross shaft from bowing.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.