The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Quickest and proper way to restring a pedal steel
Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2016 12:21 pm    

Steve, that's how I measure too and most your strings look good. It's just the 6th and maybe 1st that could use a tad more, but that's just my personal preference. You want to bias those rule-of-thumb measurements to come out slightly longer on the thinner strings and vice versa on the thick ones. I'm quibbling here; no need to change what you've got. Play away.

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2016 4:33 am    

I'm aware that this is not for everyone, but I can string my keyless guitars faster than my keyed steels. stevet

Don Griffiths

Steelville, MO
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2016 2:08 pm    

One thing I did to free up both hands and make life easier was make a string holder. Take a 1/4" or 3/8" by 6" long soft wood dowel. Cut about a 3/4" long wedge on one end . Stick it between the finger and changer mechanism to hold the string ferrule in place. Works great on a Shobud, I don't know about other changer mechanisms.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2016 9:34 pm    

I have been playing four nights a week, so I've been changing strings at the every couple of weeks. Biggest problem is removing the old strings, I have to wear a glove on my hand so the string snapback doesn't stab me,Otherwise I tend to swear a lot. Good thing my neighbors are far away.I get 6 to 8 gigs out of a set of steel strings, and two to four gigs out of a set of guitar strings.

Johan Forsman

Sweden
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2016 5:12 am    

Shouldn't you loosen (tune them down a lot) the old strings before cutting them!? Then you'd avoid the worst snapback effect. This is how I've been told to do it on six string guitars (for other reasons than the snapback as well) and I suppose it should apply to the pedal steel as well?

I've only played for half a year and have changed my strings twice. I've followed the instructions on the old carter website and had no string breakage so far.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2016 5:41 am    

Johan Forsman wrote:
Shouldn't you loosen (tune them down a lot) the old strings before cutting them!? Then you'd avoid the worst snapback effect. This is how I've been told to do it on six string guitars (for other reasons than the snapback as well) and I suppose it should apply to the pedal steel as well?
I don't cut strings on PSGs - keyed or keyless, or on 6-strings. I wind them all the way off, which I have found to be as quick and easy as anything, and perfectly "safe".

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2016 11:56 am    

I found the video using the Carter/Magnum steel helpful however I too wish there was more videos on the subject of restringing. I would like to see more information about the proper number of winds on the lower strings.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2016 6:22 am    

Jeff Mead wrote:
Jim Pitman wrote:
I like to use a wooden wedge cut from 3/8" thick hardwood flat stock to trap the ball end of the string at the changer. My wedge is made from oak. It's about 2" long and pointy at one end while the other end is about 3/8" across. (square in cross section at this end). I could envision one made from hard rubber.

I use a rubber wedge like this. They are sold as a tool that piano tuners use. They are called Piano Tuning Mutes or Mute Keys.

Me too. Very cheap and very useful. Very Happy
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Thom Gustafson

Mount Vernon, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2016 9:07 am    

Easier than making a wedge to hold the ball end in place when changing strings on my Derby is to use a rubber replacement eraser that goes on the end of a pencil.