The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Too old?
Jim Underwood

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2016 4:44 am    

I had a Shobud Maverick for years but sold it a couple of years ago. Never really learned to play. Then I had a stroke and was out of commission for at least 5 years. Now I am interested in the steel again. I have played bass and acoustic guitar for years. I know music theory and number charting very well. The question is, since I am 58 years old, am I too old to pursue some serious playing of the steel? I mainly want to eventually learn playing cover songs on the steel playing the lead vocal parts, etc. I dont want to get a student model steel. I prefer a good model such as a Mullen 3P/4K. I have been watching David Hartley on Youtube lately. one steel he had is a 5P/4K. Is that setup that more versatile that the typical 3P/4K? Thanks for your input. I know there are lot of great guys on here. I am serious about pursuing this and also wanted to ask for suggestions of learning materials and also what time frame to get up to speed since I am already familiar with music, basic steel stuff, chord structure. Thanks to anyone that will give me some advice.

jim

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2016 5:01 am    

Jim, most of the guys that I know and play steel are over 58...granted, they've been playing for a good part of their life. I started @ 39 and will be 42 next month, and wondered if I were to old, then? If you've got a passion to play, nothing but your budget and physical strength can stop you! Good luck, I wish you well on your recovery from the stroke.

Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2016 5:40 am    

Hi Jim I have a friend that is a Lead player and a Steel Player plus a Fiddle player and his Nam is Jimmy Underwood from Fayetteville North Carolina .OK as far as being to old to start Playing Steel Guitar.I started when I was 61 Years old and I'm still playing.I never played a Instrument in my life. I'm not the best but I can save myself. The more I practice the better I'm getting. I'm also been Playing Dobro and Lap Steel since I started playing Pedal Steel.So go for it you have the advantage over me as you played other String Guitars.I will come to you in time and maybe faster than me because you have all the Basics of the cords and music. I started clod turkey. I think I see you live in Va. I have a good friend up there in Gum Spring Dave Nugent. He has helped me out a lot. Good Luck on Playing the Pedal Steel Guitar
Sam White
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association

Patrick Thornhill

Austin Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2016 5:44 am    

I too am 42 (almost) and still feel like the doofus I was at 19. I honestly remember 1992 much more clearly than I remember 2012, that's for sure. Age makes us wiser and more capable, not less. You're never too old to learn- in fact I think it's learning and remaining curious about the world and our brief time on it that keeps us feeling young, healthy, and hungry for more. The best steel guitarist you've ever heard is inside you, you just need the patience and desire to whip that undisciplined kid into shape. Winking

I'm far too much of a rank novice myself to comment on the best copedent, but I'm planning on getting a 4th pedal on the Zum Encore I'm saving my pennies for as a "Franklin pedal". I think the 5th knee is usually split with the A (or C, depending on whether you're Buddy Emmons or Jimmy Day and what you like to call it) pedal to raise the B strings to natural C. More learned folks should correct me if I'm wrong...

Stay strong, stay positive, and get you a steel geee-tar!!
Very Happy

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2016 6:09 am    

Jim, I started (for the second time) when I was 53... the first time was 35 years ago, and I stayed with it only a few months.

With the availability of information and instruction on the Internet, there just no reason you can't learn to play. It does take practice, and steel is the slowest instrument to learn... and also an instrument where you never learn all of it.

I recommend a 3 pedal 4 knee guitar. There are lots of them available. Stage One, Encore, GFI, Justice, many others. GFI is a lighter guitar, but doesn't scrimp on features, stability, and reliability.

There's some good use guitars in the For Sale section also.

I played guitar and bass for many years, and lost the feeling in my left ring and pinky fingers, and decided to try steel again. I started with a C6 6-string lap steel, graduated to a Marlen D-10 that I refurbished, sold it because of the weight, and got a GFI S-10 student model. I hope to upgrade to a GFI s_10 standard model some day.

There a lot of good charts to help you. If you know the Nashville Number System, that is a plus. Also, get these:
Patricia Warnock's E9 chart: http://www.cryinsteel.com/

Pedal Steel Guitar E9 Fretboard Reference _DRAFT5.pdf
http://izza.us/izzamaster/IzzaFolders/Charts/Pedal%20Steel%20Guitar%20E9%20Fretboard%20Reference%20_DRAFT5.pdf

(If you can't get the E9 Fretboard Reference, send me an email and I'll email you a copy.)

Happy pickin' and slidin'!

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2016 6:16 am    

Jim, go for it! I started after I retired, and had no previous music experience except a couple folk guitar night courses about 40 years ago. I'm almost 4 years in and love it.

I have modest goals - I know I'm never going to catch up with the guys who have a 35-year head start on me. I'm never going to have big name singers pounding on my door to join their band. That's fine - I'm enjoying the fun and challenge, and the occasional reward when something comes out of the steel sounding better than usual.

For me, rule #1 is "have fun". It has worked well so far, and hopefully it will for you also. Keep us posted!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2016 8:15 am    

By all means, get another steel and give it a try! A 3+4 will probably be all you need, and you can trade up later if it goes well. If things don't go well, you can always sell a decent guitar, and you'll know you've at least tried and gave it your best. Smile

Richard Smelker

Winters.Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2016 8:39 am    

Jim, Go For It! I started playing steel when I turned 66. I have been playing for 3 years now and enjoy almost every minute of it. I say almost because the steel is an instrument that I can play one song and do it good and then completely bomb another. It is the most challenging instrument I have tried to learn. I have played guitar, bass and Dobro for years (Started Bass when I was 11) and played in bands for years. I play in a cowboy church band here in Texas and switch between guitar, Dobro and Steel. I had a Sho-Bud D-10 but it was to heavy to move so I now have a Pedalmaster s-10 with 3 pedals and 5 knee levers. That keeps me busy as I try to figure out all the combinations of chords, grips and positions. Will I ever be a pro on the steel? No, But I'm having a lot of fun learning it and enjoying the challenge.
You won't regret learning the Steel!

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2016 9:24 am    

I think some of the best advice I ever got was regarding a similar question about being 'too old'. I played music full time between day gigging at a music store for a lot of years. I finally took a legitimate, real, grown-up day gig at an Electronics company at the age of 39. I was older than almost all the guys working there, most were engineers at least 10-15 years my junior with technical degrees.

My boss at the time knew I enjoyed the type of work, and the company offered a tuition reimbursement plan. So he asked me why I didn't consider going back to college to finish a degree I had started right out of HS (before dropping out to become a Rock Star). My response was that I was too old to go back to school, way older than everybody there, and by the time I got out with an Electrical Engineering degree (going at night and part time) I'd be well on the back side of 45 years old.

His response was brilliant.. "Well, you'll still be on the back side of 45 years old at that point no matter what, right? Why not have a degree too?" I couldn't really argue with that logic.. so back to school I went, and I've never regretted it. My point is, age has nothing to do with it IMO.. If you want to do something, do it.

Sorry for the philosophical discourse, too much coffee this AM I guess..

Steve Rosko

Georgetown, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2016 10:08 am    

I started when I was 61. I've been at it a year and a half. I'm no Paul Franklin by a long shot but I'm in a band and having fun. Definitely go for it. Find a live teacher and there's tons of learning material on the web. I got Jeff Newmans Right Hand Alpha for Chrisrmas and highly recommend it.

Lynn Fargo

Fort Edward, NY
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2016 10:10 am    

Hi Jim,
I don't think it's ever too late to start up with anything you love. I played back in the 70s and 80s (though not well, I might add) but quit in my early 30s to start college and eventually start to support myself with a day job. My steel patiently waited for 28 years til I found time for her again. Three years ago at age 60 I dug her out and started on the number one spot on my bucket list, and I'm not looking back.

As far as guitars go, a good 3+4 should be adequate. Every now and then you come across some tab with a 5th lever or a vertical lever, but never underestimate the power of bar slants. If you can find a guitar with those levers in good shape at a decent price, then go for it. But someone will most likely come up with something some time that the rest of us don't have anyway.

Regarding learning materials, they've come a long way. Some people can learn by reading tab and listening to a track, others need to see it being done, and there are tons of videos available today that weren't available back in the old days.

However, I started on a fabulous course in the 70s, but unfortunately never got very far with it because I was too busy making noise in a band. That course is Jeff Newman's Pedal Steel Guitar Monthly which came in 10 booklets with audio tracks. I am working on finishing that course now. I have tons of teaching material and some show you how and where, but in this course Jeff also teaches you WHY and WHEN. I'm pretty sure this course is available online for free, but I don't see it advertised for sale on the Jeffran site. I do see Jeff's Up From the Top series, and from the description, it looks very similar, though with video this time. I also like Scotty's Anthology very much for after you've gotten everything working pretty smoothly.

These are just my opinions, of course. Best of luck to you. Keep on pickin'! Lynn

Steve Rosko

Georgetown, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2016 10:54 am    

I started when I was 61. I've been at it a year and a half. I'm no Paul Franklin by a long shot but I'm in a band and having fun. Definitely go for it. Find a live teacher and there's tons of learning material on the web. I got Jeff Newmans Right Hand Alpha for Chrisrmas and highly recommend it.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2016 12:37 pm    

Patrick Thornhill wrote:

Age makes us wiser and more capable, not less. You're never too old to learn - in fact I think it's learning and remaining curious about the world and our brief time on it that keeps us feeling young, healthy, and hungry for more.

I started when I was 62. I already play several instruments and I have good theory, but this is the toughest thing I've tried. But I've pushed through the raw beginner stage and done a couple of gigs. If you want something to keep your brain sharp, pedal steel is it. Another vote for Right Hand Alpha - it will give you real confidence in your tone and attack.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2016 4:01 am    

Jim..First off, would like to thank my friend Sam White for the kind words!..As mentioned, I am located in Gum Spring, Va. (around 20 miles or so West of Richmond). If I can be of any assistance in helping you on your journey, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,
David

Bruce Derr

Lee, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2016 5:55 am    

Patrick Thornhill wrote:
Age makes us wiser and more capable, not less. You're never too old to learn- in fact I think it's learning and remaining curious about the world and our brief time on it that keeps us feeling young, healthy, and hungry for more.

So true.

Actually, after playing steel for over 40 years, I'm thinking of taking up the saxophone! (My poor wife and cats... the dog won't care, he's deaf.)

I can relate to Bill's story. I went back to college for an electronics degree at 30 after playing music "full time" (sorta) since high school. 30 isn't "old" but even so I found that I had a real advantage over my traditional-aged classmates. Firstly, I was easily the most motivated and focused person in class, because by then I knew what I wanted. Also I had my own experience in electronics (from jobs and as a hobbyist) to serve as a framework to support the new info.

Brain scientists used to think that the older brain is not able to adapt to new information and habits, but that's been thoroughly disproven. I think Patrick's right - it helps keep us young.

Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2016 6:47 am    

Jim, I have owned about every kind of steel guitar in my 65 years of playing. As my age prohibits the weight of my old favorite horns I went with a Zum Encore. My set up is 4 pedals and five knees. This guitar stays in tune and plays so easy. I assure you they will hold their price pretty good too. My friend Roger Rettig who is one of the few folks I know that actually makes a living playing steel guitar has an Encore and it is now his main go guitar. It is tough enough to learn without having tuning issues and other mechanical problems. Good luck,get some simple backing tracts and above all play the melody..
My two cents from an 83 year old picker. Still kickin still pickin.....old Bud

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2016 7:59 am     too old...?

I certainly hope not, because I'm 73. I been doing it off & on for 40 years. This time, someone else will sell this guitar.

I know my Sierra Pedal Steel Guitar is heavy, but I don't care, because the floor is holdin' it up.

I also got myself a Peterson StroboPlusHD, makes life very simple.

Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2016 11:41 pm     too old??

Like Charlie I started again at 74. I self taught on pedal steel in 1978, but other things got in the way again. Then I started back up again for a short while around 20 years ago, but could not really lift off. This time about 9 or 10 months ago after so much frustration I suddenly found that I could play and now play in church. I am elated, like many I started on lap steel in 1947 through Oahu lessons. Played off and on after that, mostly off. But going on 4 years now I decided that my steel playing will from now on be every day no matter what so I played my lap and resophonic and that really helped. Then I bought a nice Fessenden and looked at it for almost a year. It kept glaring at me!! So I'd attempt to play and yuck, it was awful, until as I mentioned, just about 10 months ago something happened, I don't why but I am very grateful that suddenly I could play. Age is not really a barrier, it is mostly a mental barrier, my opinion, may not match others of course.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2016 3:00 am    

@ 67 I feel like I have relaunched my steel playing journey. For the past 10 or 15 years I have been in a nice band , playing Steel but it wasn't like I was the dominant instrument, it was a shared duty with a fine guitar player. Then the band kinda changed focus and I was on guitar maybe 75 % of the time. Then we started doing duo and trio gigs..AC guitars..No Steel. Still do these gigs...

Now, being retired,finally, I also hooked up with some "older cats" I play 3 dedicated shows each month, I am primarily on Steel ( 95% of the time) and expected to play the dang thing, at least two Instrumentals each show. Thats 6 instrumentals each month and NOT the same ones ! Ok, I admit it, I repeat a few every now and then. But 6 Instrumentals a month is a lot of practice !

That to me is a relaunch...and it's eating into my nap time ! Laughing

You guys under 60, you're just kids, you got a whole life in front of you ! Go for it !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 21 Jan 2016 7:51 am    

Why Not
It’s a Snap
What Me Worry

Right Hand Blocking
Pick Blocking
Palm Mute
Right Hand Harmonics
Left Hand Blocking
Left Hand Harmonics
Left Hand String Pulls
Volume swell
Pedals and levers
Slides
Pedals plus slides
Vibrato
Tremolo
Trill
Pinch Harmonics
Arpeggio Scraping
Bar Tapping
Behind the Bar Strums
Tune like Jeff Newman
Keep your Right Elbow to your side
Bend Picks Properly
Place Palm of Right Hand at the Front Edge of the Pickup
Keep your Arm Straight
Hold the Bar like Newman
Do Everything like Jeff Newman
Whoops Dang it Something broke Again
You picked a fine time to serve me Divorce Papers

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2016 8:06 am     learning steel guitar

you didn't mention tuning your Steel while you are playing it.

My wife bought a sign that says,

"My husband has retired, now I have half as much money & twice as much husband."

So I took some of her money & bought another Pedal Steel Guitar, plus I am taking the time to relearn...

Now she doesn't have twice as much husband & she has pretty music to listen too...sometimes.

Gibson Hartwell

Missoula, Montana, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2016 8:11 am     Too old?

I think it's all perspective, Jim. Forum member and my fellow Montanan, Louis Armentaro, is in his 90s and when I heard him last spring he sounded great on both necks of his Mullen. Maybe he'll chime in here.

I started playing in my mid-30s so I could learn a few things and still have decades of gigs in front of me. Right after I started I told a guy in his 20s my rationale for starting when I did and he told me, "I think it is so cool that you bought a pedal steel for your mid-life crisis." Gut punch!

Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2016 10:58 am     comments

What fun comments, they are great. I have always planned on living to 125, so maybe I am in my mid-life crisis too, hahhah. I like the twice as much husband and half as much money.
Stuart I think you nailed it 100% too!

Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2016 11:03 am    

All that stuff is so irrelevant. Its all about what you enjoy. I have been playing for 40 years and i will always feel like a beginner. Just listen to Buddy's playing and you will realize all of us are beginners.

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 21 Jan 2016 11:43 am    

Besides it would be a shame to let all that Music Theory go to waste.
No sarcasm intended.