The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  1930s Bakelite slides and picks
Jesse Fowler

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2015 11:21 am    

Hello fellows!
Normally, I would think it suspicious for a new member to have his first post in this section, but hear me out!

I am a guitar player, and my Father is one of the best (in my humble opinion Winking ). I grew up around his bands, and his practicing. He had a Bakelite slide and he loved it. Over the years, I have heard their praises.

Currently, I am a professional jeweler, dealing exclusively in Bakelite made from factory stock. I have access to Bakelite bought from the factory when it closed down. I have the rods that the Manoloff tone bars were made from, and look forward to reproducing them.

I make a comfortable living selling my jewelry on Etsy, where I would sell these slides. I can make either style, and customize them to any specifications, and even laminate different colors together, monogram them, etc.. Doing so would not affect their tone, harmonics, action, or anything.

I also have factory pick stock. I can most likely match slides and picks of any color, including marbled with white. One caveat about the picks; I would need someone to work with me, to get the shape exactly right. What would be good enough for me would probably not be good enough for a professional. The pick stock is also in the form of a rod, but in a triangular shape that I would slice to the correct thickness, and then taper.

For a professional band, looking for colorful accessories that would really tie the stage presence together, I can match these, and make matching jewelry, guitar strap pins, brooches, etc..
My dream is to see a band using a Bakelite lap slide, finger slide, picks, and a couple of accessories (Maybe the logo pinned to the guitar strap, and as a brooch for a Female lead), all matched to their outfits! If Nudie cohn or Nathan Turk were alive, I would be working with them!!

If it is okay with the moderators, I will add a link to my shop so you can see the colors I have had, and my craftsmanship.

I use a patent pending proprietary process for finishing my products that hardens only a microscopic layer of the surface. This will give them long life. However, I will include a lifetime of free refinishing if any grooves show. I assume that it would take years of daily use.

I look forward to answering all questions!

Thank you for "Hearing" me out!

Jesse

Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2015 1:23 pm    

I'd love to work with you on a pick shape. Are you thinking about a standard flatpick? Given the vintage pedigree of bakelite maybe a 347 shape would be cool. One of the earliest pick shapes they say and a good compromise between larger triangular shapes and smaller jazz types.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2015 2:01 pm    

Welcome! I'm looking forward to seeing your bars when they are available. I checked out some of your stuff on Esty - nice! Are you aware that you'll need to drill the rod and add a metal insert to give the bars the needed weight? I expect you knew that but just wanted to toss that out there in case you didn't. Do you have a Manoloff or other bakelite bar to use as a pattern?

Jesse Fowler

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2015 2:35 pm    

Thanks Bill and Dustin!
The pick stock I have is larger than any picks I have seen, which makes sense, because you can always trim them down. Yes, I am thinking about the flat pick, but may be able to custom make finger picks. With great care, it can be bent as long as the radius is not too small.

I did know about the added metal weight, but have also seen solid Bakelite ones. I can do either. Thanks for the heads up, just in case.

I don't have a vintage bar to use as a pattern, but would love to borrow one, just to make sure it's perfect. I could go by measurements if necessary.

What prompted me to make these is making one for my girlfriend's Dad for Christmas. His will be the Blues type. If any of you are in or near Portland OR, we can work together to make these perfect.

Thanks!

Jesse Fowler

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2015 2:38 pm    

Bill Sinclair wrote:
I checked out some of your stuff on Esty - nice!

I should add that my best stuff can be found in the "Sold out listings" section, found in the left column. My best pieces sell very fast Very Happy

Miles Lang

Venturaloha
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2015 10:35 am    

I would be very interested in getting a vintage-spec bakelite bar. I play 6-string, non-pedal Hawaiian style, and the big pedal steel bars are too unwieldy.

If you don't have it already, here is the 1937 design patent for the Black Rajah bar. I don't know how to read these things, but the measurements must be in there somewhere?http://www.tribotone.com/files/tonebar.pdf

Currently, I'm using a small round/domed steel bar of unknown manufacture - 0.5" x 2.5". Is this similar in size to the old Bakelite bars?

Jesse Fowler

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2015 12:36 pm    

Thank you Miles.
It is a bit confusing, as there are so many same numbers for different parts, but I'll figure it out.

Yes, I can get 1/2" stock, and can get rod stock in any diameter. I have access to a machine shop, to bore them out and add metal as well. Having never examined them, I thought that they were solid Bakelite.
I'm doing more research, and will see if I can find people locally that know about them, or have one.

Once we get this going, I can make custom ones as well, if someone wants a different diameter, more or less weight, length, etc..

Jesse Fowler

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2015 9:02 pm    

I just made a Blues style slide, and it sold in a few minutes, but here is a link to my sold out orders, so you can see the marbling, and such, and read a little bit more about it:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BrighterBakelite/sold

Jesse Fowler

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2016 4:27 pm    

Hello all.
I am still developing these, gathering specific info about weight and size and such. Thanks to all that have provided information!