The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Recording
Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2015 7:32 pm    

Im looking to get a multitrack recorder for recording my music , what is a good unit to buy computer base or hardware? what do you use?

Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2015 7:02 pm    

There are several devices that could be used to make perfectly fine recordings.
It all depends on what you'd like to accomplish with your recordings (practice,songwriting or recording other bands) and your budget.

If you don't want to mess with a computer, a Zoom multi track recorder is a good option.
Zoom multi track recorders can be found in 8 track,16 track and 24 track versions.

Here's the Zoom 24 track recorder:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/R24

For computer based recording, again, there are several choices to make concerning software and type of interface that you'd like to use.

There really aren't any wrong choices.

For software, I've used Sonar, Logic and Studio One.
Logic is for Mac only, Sonar is Windows only, Studio One works with Mac and Windows.

Here is Studio One software:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/S1v3Pcg

...and here are a couple of examples of interfaces:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlett18i8

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBoxiTwo

Lately, I've been using Logic and Studio One.
Studio One is the most user friendly, IMO.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2015 7:48 pm    

Another vote for Studio One. I used a Roland VS-2480 stand alone recorder for years, but I like computer based much better. My studio has almost all Presonus gear and it works great.

I agree with Rick, all of the software works well, but I like Studio One over the others I've used.

RC

Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2015 8:16 pm     Studio One is great for songwriting

Rick Campbell wrote:
great.

I agree with Rick, all of the software works well, but I like Studio One over the others I've used.

RC

Especially if your goal is to use your home studio for the purpose of songwriting, Studio One is great, IMO.

The arrangement track and the scratch pad are very powerful tools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZALHeAeOjM4

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2015 4:52 am    

I have the Tascam DP-008EX... very satisfied with it.
http://tascam.com/product/dp-008ex/

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2015 10:06 pm    

Hey Scott,

That's a neat looking rig. Don't you wish we'd had that kind of stuff to play with when we were teenagers?

RC

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2015 3:48 am    

Yea. I remember some one recorded our high school concert band with a 16 track reel-to-reel recorder... took him two hours to get set up. It was pointless... the concert was in the GYM of all places! No reverb needed...

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2015 4:33 pm    

I was thinking about a multitrack at first maybe a big Tascam or one of the zoom recorders but after looking at some enter face computer type and software , I think ill just go for either a scarlet or the presonas,Ill be recording my own music using the pedal steel and lap steel , 6 string electric and acoustic guitars also along with piano and synth maybe some fiddle and harmonica , I have a drum machine in my GNX4 already , Thanks for the comments . Russ

Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2015 5:25 pm    

If you're thinking about getting one of the Presonus Audiobox VSL make sure that the virtual mixer software will function with your operating system.

From what I understand, Presonus will not support the virtual mixer software with newer operating systems.

You might be better off getting the Focusrite interfaces if that's something you're interested in.

FWIW, I'm currently using a Presonus iTwo.
It works just fine for me because my studio is only set up for my own personal practice and songwriting.
I felt that anything else for me would have been overkill.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2015 2:36 pm    

I'm using Studio One Pro with the 4 input Audio Box from Presonus. It all works great is pretty straight forward on making a recording, etc. I did have to upgrade my computer processor and add more ram. It was really taxing my CPU if you had 9 or 10 channels recorded with effects and all.

I will say that the Roland VS-2480, which I still have, is one of the most awesome and best one unit recorders made. It does have a larger learning curve than most DAW's but none the less, a great recorder with smooth effects and a great mastering section. Mine is loaded with 3 VS-2 cards and one VS-3. Mine is for sale if anyone interested. $1000

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2015 7:01 am    

I'm tired of the computer hassle, and was thinking of going back to just simple basic "Stand Alone" home recording for my own enjoyment. Been wading knee deep through the pile of "Porta Studio" units. Been looking at Zoom, Tascam, Fostex you name it. I want to record to an SD Card, or stick. Was wondering on these type of units, are the "Effects" available during recording? Or just on mix down? Read so many online manuals I still don't know. Oh..I'm looking long & hard at the Tascam DP-24SD Digital Portastudio unit. For price, and it has about what I need. I can use my Lexicon for reverb, but would prefer a good built in reverb, and compressor effect DURING recording. Also 48 Volt for condenser mic's? How are they for live remote recording, without hauling along a computer? Appreciate any advice from you fella's. Thanks Very Happy

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2015 5:58 am    

I'm kind of feeling the same way, George, and going back to my Zoom 4-track, limited as it is, for my next project.
Both my Zooms (other was an 8-track) allowed the effect to be recorded altho I usually didn't.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2015 7:06 am    

I'll never go back to a standalone recorder. I've taken the time to learn my DAW (Sonar Platinum) and how to use it for what I do. I get much more "polished" final mixes than I ever got with a standalone recorder.

George Redmon

Post  Posted 12 Dec 2015 9:35 am    

I hear ya Charlie....
Quote:
and was thinking of going back to just simple basic

I know it's not a premier product. But I've closed my studio and sold or gave away several computers and work stations. Just wanted something that I can spend more time playing to, instead of playing with. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated. Think I'll give a Tascam unit like Scott has a try. Was just curious about the effects, mostly for vocal on the effects. Thanks Guys. Very Happy

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2015 9:46 am    

George Redmon wrote:
I'm tired of the computer hassle, and was thinking of going back to just simple basic "Stand Alone" home recording for my own enjoyment. Been wading knee deep through the pile of "Porta Studio" units. Been looking at Zoom, Tascam, Fostex you name it. I want to record to an SD Card, or stick. Was wondering on these type of units, are the "Effects" available during recording? Or just on mix down? Read so many online manuals I still don't know. Oh..I'm looking long & hard at the Tascam DP-24SD Digital Portastudio unit. For price, and it has about what I need. I can use my Lexicon for reverb, but would prefer a good built in reverb, and compressor effect DURING recording. Also 48 Volt for condenser mic's? How are they for live remote recording, without hauling along a computer? Appreciate any advice from you fella's. Thanks Very Happy

The Zoom units mentioned in the second post above are unbeatable for the $. I have Sonar and still prefer working that way, but I picked up an R24 on CL for $200 and I can say it is very handy. It records to an SD card, has 8 XLR/TRS inputs, 2 with phantom power, basic onboard effects, and a really simple interface. I have used it a couple of times to record live gigs with a simple 8 channel TRS snake off the PA board ($8.99 on Amazon).

It will only record 8 channels at a time so fairly limited if recording a larger group. It has a USB interface so you just plug it to your 'puter and copy the individual tracks directly into a DAW for editing/mixing if you want. It also works as an 8-in x 2-out audio interface complete with ASIO driver, and works as a basic control surface with most DAWs. It is by no means a replacement for a robust DAW setup, but for quick and easy recording with decent quality, you can't beat it. Keep an eye on Craigslist.

George Redmon

Post  Posted 12 Dec 2015 10:47 am    

Wow ok Ian, maybe I will keep looking into different units. I'll start checking Craigslist & the bay. Just want something basic, easy, simple, and that can be had cheap.....much like myself. Since retirement I have more time for playing and playing around. These are some great suggestions. Really appreciate you guys that have experience in this sort of stuff. Thank You so much.

Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2015 12:47 pm    

Ian Worley wrote:
George Redmon wrote:

The Zoom units mentioned in the second post above are unbeatable for the $. I have Sonar and still prefer working that way, but I picked up an R24 on CL for $200 and I can say it is very handy. It records to an SD card, has 8 XLR/TRS inputs, 2 with phantom power, basic onboard effects, and a really simple interface. I have used it a couple of times to record live gigs with a simple 8 channel TRS snake off the PA board ($8.99 on Amazon).

It will only record 8 channels at a time so fairly limited if recording a larger group. It has a USB interface so you just plug it to your 'puter and copy the individual tracks directly into a DAW for editing/mixing if you want. It also works as an 8-in x 2-out audio interface complete with ASIO driver, and works as a basic control surface with most DAWs. It is by no means a replacement for a robust DAW setup, but for quick and easy recording with decent quality, you can't beat it. Keep an eye on Craigslist.

IIRC, it is possible to link two Zoom units together to allow for 16 inputs for recording.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2015 5:19 am    

Rick Schacter wrote:
IIRC, it is possible to link two Zoom units together to allow for 16 inputs for recording.

Rick or anyone: is that done with a MIDI link? Or how?

Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2015 7:43 am    

Charlie McDonald wrote:
Rick Schacter wrote:

Rick or anyone: is that done with a MIDI link? Or how?

Here ya go, Charlie.
Your question is answered in the video from Sweetwater:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/R16

Last edited by Rick Schacter on 16 Dec 2015 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2015 8:28 am    

Excellent. Thank you, Rick.

Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2015 6:25 pm    

Charlie McDonald wrote:
Excellent. Thank you, Rick.

Glad to help. Smile

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2015 1:52 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
I'll never go back to a standalone recorder. I've taken the time to learn my DAW (Sonar Platinum) and how to use it for what I do. I get much more "polished" final mixes than I ever got with a standalone recorder.

I'm with Jack 100%. ( Pro Tools 12 here) We read often the piles of complaints about DAW software packages being too hard to learn or use, too many bells and whistles ( also called production tools) etc. Fact of the matter is I doubt anyone ever learns or uses the ENTIRE package. Why would they ? Unless they had a specific production reason.

BUT, we all know that the production tools are in there somewhere should we ever need them. Thats what a full featured DAW offers, the ability to go further, at any time. You are not locked out at the end of the road.

You learn and use what you need for the daily projects, then venture into other area's should the need arises. Some folks use way less than 50% of what a DAW offers, heck maybe less than that.

Don't confuse flexibility with complexity.

Ever type a letter in MS Word ? Do you know what every one of those toolbar menus does ? Question me neither but I use MS Word all the time !

Regarding the Zooms ,I have an R16, I would recommend it to anyone jumping into the recording fire, I think it's the best deal out there for a low cost , fairly easy to use, flexible workstation. And the good news is, should you ever decide to jump up to any DAW, all of your Zoom track files are separate WAV files and can be imported into the DAW. THATS HUGE ! Exclamation

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2015 8:40 pm     which recorder

After taking some time and doing a little research I decided to get the Tascam DP 32 multitrack recorder , I did try presonus 2 but it didn't work out so well anyways I got the new recorder now , Just waiting on some moniters with 1/4 inch jacks, I have some edirol powered moniters but im gonna leave them on my computer and use the Alesis on the recorder, Dynamic mic s work fine with the Tascam I have two a sm 48 and a sm58 shure mic s . the dp 32 records to a card then if I want I can send recordings to any DAW Im using of which I have several on my computer or whatever I wannna do with them . ill be doing mostly instrumentals using my pedal steel along with guitar electric and acoustic some piano violin and whatever else I can get hold of , should be fun . I am a lone musician with my instruments and my ideas so im hoping to make some good music . thanks to you who commented on my post here.

Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2016 2:36 am    

I love the Zoom R16. Its totally portable. Ive used it as a live mixer too. Its got lots of insert effects presets for guitars, vocals etc. great for recording. It does a great job recording on its own, up to like 50 hours digitally onto a 32 gig SD card the size of a stamp...amazing if you ask me.

I can copy audio files onto my mac over USB, then import into Logic for automated editing and mixing. I also use it as an audio interface into the laptop to record up to 8 tracks at once in Logic.